PDA

View Full Version : $25, not a penny more!

bobbygedd
03-28-2002, 12:28 AM
had my last 6 estimates go like this: "how much? we never paid more than $25 to have our lawn cut!" it seems 25 bucks is the magic number. what really scares me is that these estimates were all in well to neighborhoods, and the properties were rather large. i couldnt touch them for under $33. the $25 days are over for me, but that seems to be what the "going rate " is amongst the competition. only thing is, they all have the same sad story: my last guy didnt show up, he scalped the lawn, he told me to go scr*w myself......., and can u do all that for $25? whats the world coming to?

SLS
03-28-2002, 12:36 AM
I guess it IS true........

"Ya get what ya pay for!"

:D

Robert Pruitt
03-28-2002, 12:48 AM
i don't unload for less than $35.......:angry:

proline32
03-28-2002, 12:48 AM
tell them to go get screwwed.;)

goodbeus
03-28-2002, 05:40 AM
I quoted one the other day...about 2500 sq.ft., quoted him $25...that included mowing,trimming,edging(including flower beds which he had a lot of), and blowing everything off....gave him extensive info about his lawn, things he had no idea of....said he thought the price was high...he just moved here from Conn. and was paying $25 for an acre to be mowed....I laughed, told him the price I quoted him was fair....but, he was oriental....man, they try to get you to do everything for nothing....nevertheless, we didn't get the job....

TJLC
03-28-2002, 05:52 AM
I sometimes hear " the last guy did it for xxx, can't you do it for that". I then ask "why is he no longer cutting it." If the first words out of a person's mouth are price, price, price, then I will usually tell them that, this is what I charge and why. They either say yes or no at that point. I think it partly goes back to lowballers and unliscensed people that are ruining are pricing. People see a guy doing it for half of what you want and can't figure out why and couldn't care less if you are liscensed, insured and 100% legit. I think there is enough work out there to avoid people like this.

Harvestman
03-28-2002, 06:01 AM
I bid a plowing job last spring I told the guy $75.00. He said the last guy said he would do it for $50.00, but he never came.I laughed out load so hard. Nevertheless he gave me the job. You get what you pay for.

kutnkru
03-28-2002, 08:58 AM
Well Bobby G it sounds like you have a tough decision to make.

If the fair market value seems to be $25/cut and you want $30 or more you have to ask yourself if you can wait out the distance til you get your asking price??? ... or ...

You can put the price shoppers to work for you!!! If they wont spend more than $25 tell them that in order for you to cut them at $25 you will need THEM to enlist 3 of THEIR neighbors.

If you have 4 lawns without having to trailer in between, then you just might be able to service Joe Suburbia. Stand firm and make it crystal clear that if one discontinues service the rates go back to your asking price.

Sometimes its amazing how this helps clients keep each other in check - LOL!!!

Twotoros
03-28-2002, 12:05 PM
Somehow people seem to think that wehave been given amnesty from inflation and that the IRS says " hey you guys work so hard you don't need to pay any longer". I have been told what the customer thinks is fair many times. I know two people that have an 18$ cap and have not paid over that in at least 15 years. They are no longer on MY list however.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
03-28-2002, 02:56 PM
kutnkru you have a good point. Put the customers to work for you. bobbygedd I run into the same problem. In New Jersey more and more landscapers keep poping up. I respect all fear none. The ones who do good work will stay afloat the rest will sink. I know a guy who brought a company from a friend of mine with 140 accounts. Within the first year he was down to 77. Thats almost half!!! He had the money to buy the company but lacked the knowledge to run it.
Travis ;)

proline32
03-28-2002, 03:36 PM
Hey Goodbeus,

I'm not trying to sound like a racist, but you hit a nail on the head with asians...... We have whole neighborhoods of them here and not one LCO will go work in them, It has to do with the way they are brought up, they are used to bargaining for things and many of them have seen thier parents do the same, so they kinda expect you to come down until you have a price that is agreeable (mostly to them). Also, if you do any work for them they expect you to do other stuff for free and will hold payment until you do the work.... A lot of them have nice houses and cars, but the yards look like hell. I generally find it not worth my while to offer them an estimate.

jdseven
03-28-2002, 04:16 PM
When a new customers tells me the last guy did it for less I advise them they had better get him back. Has anyone had a customer tell them the last guy charged me more??

LAWNS AND MOWER
03-28-2002, 05:53 PM
I was about to give a price to a potential customer. Had $30 stuck in my head. Before I gave him the price, I asked him what the last guy was charging ( You'll be suprised how many will tell you this before you give them an estimate if you ask- try it!!) and he told me $35. I responded " I could probably do it for that". Got the account. Turned out to be great customers.

LAWNS AND MOWER

Tony Harrell
03-28-2002, 09:14 PM
No offense to anyone but, Asians are cheap. When I gave a price for a pest control job and they gave me crap, I raised the price $25 until they shut up. Their restaraunts were always ate up with roaches and filthy nasty so I really didn't want their business. You'd be surprised how many of them went with us because we did that. I had this one guy who kept our service until the roaches were gone and he cancelled. Six months later he wanted us back and I got a $500 dollar cleanout and a $50 a month increase.

LJ lawn
03-28-2002, 11:08 PM
don't ya just love doing business round here?

Heavenly Green
03-29-2002, 01:07 AM
Its all the same story here too. Well the last guy only charged XXX amount. but they tell you that right after telling you how the last lco didnt meet there expectations. Most want me to match the price of the last guy. Because they want you to prove yourself to them and then some even after you provide them with Quality and Service at the matched price will shop around on you when you try to get the price you know you should have gotten right from the start. It can be so agrivating sometimes. But well make it just takes time and patients.

Steve @ Heavenly Greenscapes LLC:D

James234
03-29-2002, 02:14 AM
The "average" residential lawn is about 10,000 square feet. So, you need to charge based upon the overall size. I charge $0.002 per square and make a wonderful profit.

hubb
03-29-2002, 07:42 AM
Thats only $20.00! I don't know how some of the guys out there can afford to work so cheap. I dont drop my gate for less than $30.00 The average for most of my lawns is $35.00 This is what I have to make an hour on my residentials and I usually make an average of about $70.00 an hour on my commercials. I have one multi-unit housing complex that I make $130.00 an hour on. :cool:

lawnworker
03-29-2002, 08:15 AM
20.00 per 10000 square feet ? I find that amazing that you make a nice profit with that kind of pricing. Are you doing acre jobs that are flat so you can knock them out fast with a ZTR ? That is the only way I could see any real profit with your price structure there.

bobbygedd
03-30-2002, 11:27 AM
the average sq. footage in my area is less than 5000 sq. feet, and i know this cus i measure them for applications. at $20 a pop, id go under in two months

65hoss
03-30-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by James234
The "average" residential lawn is about 10,000 square feet. So, you need to charge based upon the overall size. I charge $0.002 per square and make a wonderful profit.

hahahahaha

A nice.........

hahahahahahahaha

profit..........

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Its apparent you don't know what profit is.:angry:

Ssouth
03-30-2002, 06:32 PM
I had a woman call two weeks ago for an estimate. Her normal lawn guy became ill and probably won't be able to come back to work. I do her sisters lawn which is on an annual contract. She wanted a price per cut and I told her $60 and she replies can you do it for $50. I replied, I already cut the price because I do your sister lawn and I have two other accounts very close. ( one block down the road) She said fine do it every week. Well thur. I was there and the cleaning lady came out and said it was her husband who had become ill, we talked a few minutes and I found out she was paying him $50/day and he worked 3-5 days a week for her. In two weeks I already have a couple of thousand dollars of side work lined up for her.

MORAL: Stick to your guns on the price!

jettabug
03-30-2002, 06:40 PM
I don't drop my gate at any lawn for lesss than $25, no matter how small. Make yourself look good and tell them that you are worth the extra, tell them that you will show up and won't scalp.
Sell yourself and then follow through. Most customers are willing to go the extra mile if you are!