PDA

View Full Version : overseeding?

Christian Brothers
04-28-2009, 12:52 AM
today i decided to put down scotts kentucky blugrass seed in my front yard. theres only one tree (pin oak) thats fully grown and its in the side yard so theres about 95% sun throughout the day so i know it will be a great spot for the grass to grow. my front yard has never been properly cared for before. the usual mowing once a week is about it. it is moslty broadleaf and crabgrass with a few spots of bermuda here and there. what i did was take a hare (however you spell it) and pull it behind the mower to till some of the soil. i didnt kill all the weeds first and till/cultivate the whole yard then spread the seed. i just used the hare and then scotts spreader to spread the seed. after that i watered it lightly. its supposed to rain tonight and i'm hoping the it will come a good shower. if not i'll water it again tomorrow morning. now that i've done that should i immediatly spread scotts seed starter fertilizer or does it make that much of a difference. i've read that after 4-6 weeks i can fertilize. am i taking the right approach to this? i know that it will take a while to have the entire front yard KBG but i dont mind. i just want it done right. any tips from any of you professionals? i havnt been doing this long. i'm still learning, fun, fun.

Christian Brothers Land and Lawn
At CB Land and Lawn our essential mission is to surpass customer satisfaction through our commendable foundation, continual honesty, admirable work and our passion towards what we do. We want to make you happier and healthier with a beautiful and environment-friendly lawn. We do not use any harmful chemicals with our weed spraying. It is all organic. Healthy for you and good for the environment. We can make a difference by doing our part. It starts in our own backyard. Give us a call so we can take care of all your lawn care needs the right way. FREE ESTIMATES so it is no cost to you to see what you can do to help this world move in the right direction.

Basic Services: Basic services include; mowing, trimming and edging.

Premium Services: Premium services include; all basic services + fertilization up to 4 times a year and organic weed control up to 4 times a year.

Additional Services: Additional services include; mulch, small shrub care, flower bed design, stone work, gardening, clean gutters and fall, winter and storm clean-up.

Packages: Weekly, April-September, Basic Services
Bi-Weekly, April-September, Basic Services
Weekly, April-September, Premium Services
Bi-Weekly April-September, Premium Services
Fall and Winter Clean-up, October-February

Service Cost: Basic services starting at $30
Premium services starting at $155
Weekly Basic Package starting at $720
Bi-Weekly Basic Package starting at $420
Weekly Premium Package starting at $970
Bi-Weekly Premium Package starting at $670
Weekly Fall and Winter Clean-Up Package starting at $500
Bi-Weekly Fall and Winter Clean-Up Package starting at $300

Cristian Brothers Land and Lawn
Give us a call
731-784-5049
731-345-5815
731-487-3188
claytonmichael@hotmail.com

what do yall think about that?

Lawnut101
04-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Definitely put down starter fertilizer. The new seeds need the phosphorus to germinate. Make sure you water it good and keep it wet. Most people don't water new grass enough. Sounds like you have the right basic idea though. And trial and error is the best way to go as well :waving:

Christian Brothers
04-28-2009, 01:07 AM
so starter fertilizer and what about compost or manure?

1998 Ford Ranger
4x6 open trailer
2005 Cub Cadet LT 1050 50"
Husqavarna self propelled
Stihl trimmer
Stihl edger
Stihl blower
Stihl hedger

Wizz
04-28-2009, 01:09 AM
Sorry to jump in on your thread Clayton, but I have a very similar question to add that may help both of us.

I'm about to do the same thing (overseed Bermuda) in some bare spots that are HARD dirt (no grass wants to grow in these spots). I'm on the Florida coast so sand/dirt is what I have for soil mainly.

What should be done to get the hard dirt spots to fill in? Should I aeriate those spots, laydown topsoil, then seed??

Lawnut101
04-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Sorry to jump in on your thread Clayton, but I have a very similar question to add that may help both of us.

I'm about to do the same thing (overseed Bermuda) in some bare spots that are HARD dirt (no grass wants to grow in these spots). I'm on the Florida coast so sand/dirt is what I have for soil mainly.

What should be done to get the hard dirt spots to fill in? Should I aeriate those spots, laydown topsoil, then seed??

Try a slice or slit seeder. Most rental places have them. One of my instructors that teaches a turf class is a big fan of that.

Christian Brothers
04-28-2009, 01:14 AM
might want to get a soil test done first. there may be a reason why nothings growing. ph level could be off. i would do that first. if its the soil, fix that, then aerate or till the dirt( you can aslo put down a topsoil if you like but not necessary), lay down the seed, put a cover over it like compost, manure, fabric, anything to help shade the seed while germinating. compost, helps hold the moisture and shades the seed plus its great for the soil

Lawnut101
04-28-2009, 01:15 AM
so starter fertilizer and what about compost or manure?

1998 Ford Ranger
4x6 open trailer
2005 Cub Cadet LT 1050 50"
Husqavarna self propelled
Stihl trimmer
Stihl edger
Stihl blower
Stihl hedger

Well compost or manure are more of a soil amendment per say. If your soil is in good condition to grow grass, then those probably aren't needed.

Christian Brothers
04-28-2009, 01:16 AM
but they do help retain moisture and shade the seed so they wouldnt be necessarily bad would they?

Christian Brothers
04-28-2009, 10:16 AM
well, it didnt rain lastnight so i lightly watered again this morning. its cloudy but the storm is going right around us. hopefully we will get some of it. then i'll put down seed fert and a cover for shade. i'll keep you guys posted if this works or not. thanks for ur help