PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad idea???

SOONERS222
04-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Mowing with mulching blades and having the mulch plug off. Basically mulch blades with the side discharge. What about regular blades with plug on. I know, another dumb question from a newbie. thanks 4 the help

fl-landscapes
04-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Mowing with mulching blades and having the mulch plug off. Basically mulch blades with the side discharge. What about regular blades with plug on. I know, another dumb question from a newbie. thanks 4 the help

Non mulch blades with a plugged chute will cause a lot of clumping and I would say would be a bad practice. Mulching blades with the chute open may not be bad but the mulching blades don't generate as much air flow to discharge as well as a non mulching blade. I do run gator mulching blades and side discharge the clippings no problem. I would try not to re invent the wheel and use the mulching blades with the chut closed and non mulching blades with the chute open if thats how your machine is set up.

mowerbrad
04-28-2009, 02:22 PM
I use my gator blades for side discharge and no problems. The only thing that I don't like is that when it is wet out I get some clumps. But I wouldn't run regular blades mulching.

kaferhaus
04-28-2009, 03:44 PM
We run gators on everything mulching or not, zero problems.

Weedas_Lawn_Care
04-28-2009, 05:16 PM
yea i run gators on a scag 36 and iv never had any prob. i bought it with them and i have the regular blades but ic never taken the gators off dont fix somethings that not broke right :hammerhead:

Columbia Care
04-28-2009, 05:37 PM
I run mulching blades with the side discharge open. The only issue I have had is when the grass is taller, then I will run over the clippings an extra time so the yard look good. My customers seem to like the end results of this process.

phil_peek
04-28-2009, 06:43 PM
I also run the gator blades with the side discharge when I dont have to mulch, nd I have had no problems at all.