PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of your grass.

DK lawn care
04-28-2009, 02:57 PM
I just got a new pick up this season. My cust would rather have me dump the grass in my pick up bed. I also like this idea better because its less work. For the LCO's that take the grass away, where do you dump it and how much do you often pay. Also, any LCOs in the northern ohio area no a place to dump?

freshcut419
04-28-2009, 05:06 PM
I pay 7.50 per cubic foot to get rid of my grass.. about $35 per 8 foot truck load ..

David Haggerty
04-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Don't leave grass in the bed of your truck overnight unless you have a bedliner or something. It'll rust quicker than you could imagine.
Landfills around here won't take lawn waste. Maybe you could find someplace that will take it to compost.

freshcut; With those figures wouldn't your truckbed be 1 foot wide and 6" deep? :confused:

ALC-GregH
04-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Yeah, the math doesn't add up. I pay 5 bucks to dump my 6x12 trailer loaded with grass clippings to branches and debris.

Yater
04-28-2009, 05:41 PM
I just got a new pick up this season. My cust would rather have me dump the grass in my pick up bed. I also like this idea better because its less work. For the LCO's that take the grass away, where do you dump it and how much do you often pay. Also, any LCOs in the northern ohio area no a place to dump?

Less work than what?

If they want it bagged, charge them for your time (+ 50% of the normal price), charge them for fuel to get to and from the dump, and charge them a dump fee ($7 here). If you bag all of your customers' grass, be sure to incorporate the time, dump fees, and extra fuel into your price.

TheC-Master
04-28-2009, 05:45 PM
We just have a landfill, but it is a bit of a distance.

hockeypro1411
04-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Talk to local farmers and work something out. Some of them let you dump it for their cows to eat.

CircleC
04-28-2009, 08:14 PM
I take my grass to the local landfill. I pay about 16 bucks for a bed load...I have a 99 F-150. It can get expensive when you are going 3 times a week. At the beginning of last year was paying about $10. I like the local farmer idea, I have a cow guy about 2 miles up the road from me.....thanks!

CircleC
04-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Oh I forgot to add....I do have a plastic bed liner, but I tarp everything. I put a huge tarp in the back that will fold over the sides and out the back. Makes pulling the grass out easier than shoveling. Shovel a little out....grab the front and get some momentum. Takes about 5 min to get rid of a bed load. Rather than 15 to 30 min when you shovel. Just some helpful info, helped me out. I learned that from a buddy, was shoveling and it sucked!

topsites
04-28-2009, 08:31 PM
I just lower the tailgate and then go find myself a 70mph highway, the stuff vanishes like magic.

dishboy
04-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Mulch Deck! Mulch Deck! Mulch Deck!

Tower Rat 95B
04-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Talk to local farmers and work something out. Some of them let you dump it for their cows to eat.

Like he said talk to people,,,,,,, I have a local green house that takes grass and leaves and also a topsoil dealer that takes the same and it free at both places:cool2:.......

land fills here are free to dump after you pay a 30 dollar seasonal permit......

lawnwizards
04-28-2009, 09:30 PM
I just lower the tailgate and then go find myself a 70mph highway, the stuff vanishes like magic.

me too. it might take a couple trips to get it all out but its alot cheaper. :laugh:

Norquist
04-28-2009, 11:49 PM
I live on a farm and if the goats don't get it the cows will. Also i use it for mulch in my garden, you are not going to find much better mulch it really holds the heat but be sure to water often

dKoester
04-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Compost the grass with the fall leaves. Works great in flowerbeds and you can charge for it. Optimize your companies waste for a better environment and less overhead. Learn how to make vermicompost as well.

eatonpcat
04-29-2009, 07:28 AM
.. about $35 per 8 foot truck load ..

DK... I live just down the road from you.. for $35.00 for an 8 truck bed load...
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Bring it to my house and unload behind my barn!!!

grassaholic
04-29-2009, 09:27 AM
I bag most of my lawns with my Walkers. I just dump at my local mulch supplier. This local supplier is where a good majority of the local LCO's dump their yardwaste. The supplier takes the yardwaste and turns the wood into mulch or woodchips and composts the rest. The normal charge at this supplier is $35 to $45 per dump depending on the size of the load. I worked a deal with them to prepay for the entire season and last year it worked out to be $4 per dump. If I had the space to do it, I would just compost the grass clippings myself and try to reuse it. Since I don't have the space, I'd have to say that $4 per dump is a pretty good deal.

Foosiedog
04-29-2009, 09:34 AM
The farmers are a great idea, but you could also try putting an ad in the paper for organic gardening co-ops (or the like) that compost the stuff...only problem is, you should have dog-waste-free grass, which isn't always possible. They also take your leaves in the fall, especially if they're shreaded.
Foosiedog

DK lawn care
04-29-2009, 10:51 AM
DK... I live just down the road from you.. for $35.00 for an 8 truck bed load...
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Bring it to my house and unload behind my barn!!!

I found a place in ridgeville for 15 bucks a dump. (my buddy dumpd their last year). If you can match it ill be glad to come dump at ur place. Think about it, its free money and my pickup bed is only 6 feet.

mnglocker
04-29-2009, 11:22 AM
<--- I've got a city yard refuse dump that is free for residents; i.e. ME.

I've also got 2 big ass compost piles.

eatonpcat
04-29-2009, 01:02 PM
I found a place in ridgeville for 15 bucks a dump. (my buddy dumpd their last year). If you can match it ill be glad to come dump at ur place. Think about it, its free money and my pickup bed is only 6 feet.

Take the $15.00 in N. Ridgeville, you'd probably burn a few dollars extra in gas getting to my place. I actually live in Eaton Township almost to the Medina Line

dlaros
04-29-2009, 03:14 PM
By me there is a place that makes top soil, so they let us dump for free. And I don't know about be easier, when it gets hot and after working a long day emptying the truck is the last thing I want to do.