PDA

View Full Version : i needed a beer after this one!!

Glenn Lawn Care
04-28-2009, 04:33 PM
I get a call last week froma lady who wanted her rental property thats for sale taken care or. weekly mowing, clean up, fert, the whole 9 yards. her property is for sale and she ask me if i could get it done before last friday cuz of showings she had, i switch some things around to make it happen. early friday morning i have nothing but problems, break downs left and right. i tried to call her and tell her i wasnt gunna make it but she never answered and she called me saturday just liveid, i told her there was nothing i could do. sunday it rained all day her and into the early morning on monday and i didnt work cuz i dont work after or durning the rain. well i get there today at 730 in the morning and after i have been working for and hour the person who rents the house told me that she hired some one since i didnt show. but the s.o.b. couldnt call me and tell me that and she wont answer her phone so i left her a message saying i wanna get paid for the time i was there.

David Haggerty
04-28-2009, 05:55 PM
:canadaflag:

rental property:canadaflag:
thats for sale:canadaflag:
get it done before last friday:canadaflag:

My apologies to the Canadians, there's no smiley with a solid RED FLAG!

Charles
04-28-2009, 06:00 PM
I would have left a message saying I couldn't make it. I wouldn't have gone over there until I had heard back from her. I think you should just write this one off and move on

The mayor
04-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Calling someone a sob because you have equipment that doesn't work and you didn't show up when you were suppose too. Not much to say. have that beer.:rolleyes:

phil_peek
04-28-2009, 06:48 PM
I guess thats just how it goes sometimes. Guess we all gotta learn things the hard way. Showed up late to a job and started cuz they werent home and when they got there, they threw a fit cuz I had done it without talking to them, even though it had rained and they hadnt told me otherwise. Anyway, they paid, but after a few words were flung in my direction. Anyway, I learned to be leery of jobs like that.

topsites
04-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Well...

If I ordered a pizza 8 hours ago and they said it would be there in 30-45 minutes but it just now got here.
Do you think I should pay for it?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Calling someone a sob because you have equipment that doesn't work and you didn't show up when you were suppose too. Not much to say. have that beer.:rolleyes:

Well, equip. breakdowns can get to the best of em. Everyone is an sob when we are in a pinch right:laugh:

Loadsmasher
04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
I must have missed something. How is this the customer's fault?

Glenn Lawn Care
04-28-2009, 11:46 PM
this is not the customers fault by any means. i cant control the weather or the break down i have. she just couldnt realize that things break and that it does rain here once in a while here in minnesota. you mean to tell me non of you have break downs, cuz thats a bunch of crap!!!!!! no one can control that or the weather.

S.I.
04-29-2009, 12:43 AM
I've never had a breakdown that couldn't be handled with back-up equipment or a rental. I was wondering how you could leave a message to tell her you wanted paid, but couldn't leave a message telling her that you couldn't make it on Friday?

The mayor
04-29-2009, 06:54 AM
I've never had a breakdown that couldn't be handled with back-up equipment or a rental. I was wondering how you could leave a message to tell her you wanted paid, but couldn't leave a message telling her that you couldn't make it on Friday?

ahhhhhhhhh, whoops. There will be time to come up with a anwser for that.

eatonpcat
04-29-2009, 07:02 AM
Well...

If I ordered a pizza 8 hours ago and they said it would be there in 30-45 minutes but it just now got here.

True That...

eatonpcat
04-29-2009, 07:02 AM
this is not the customers fault by any means. i cant control the weather or the break down i have. she just couldnt realize that things break and that it does rain here once in a while here in minnesota. you mean to tell me non of you have break downs, cuz thats a bunch of crap!!!!!! no one can control that or the weather.

Backup Mower??

MOW ED
04-29-2009, 07:06 AM
Yes we know, we are in the business too.

Some things are just gonna piss you off. Can't control berakdowns or the weather and the customer can understand the weather because they see it raining. They don't know that your stuff is in the shop. Its a crappy deal but I can easily explain away the weather. This is just one where you just learn a hard lesson and look for the next customer. It wasn't like you just abandoned her, you tried to call.
Now the part of her hiring someone else sucks. I think you are screwed without a contract but you could try and talk nicely to her and see if she pays. I'm thinking not. Once again, there are other customers out there. Good Luck.

topsites
04-29-2009, 07:47 AM
I know it's a bad news day for some folks and this isn't helping much, so sorry already.
But if there's one thing I have learned in this business that is very important, it is to Be On TIME.

This next might sound a bit rough and I know it's not likely you wanted to hear that
but unfortunately I also can not emphasize it enough.
Rain or shine, hell or high water, but be there, on time.
Yes, if the customer wanted 11:00 am that means not 2 seconds past 10:59:59, I kid you not.

It is probably to my slight advantage that, in the 10-20 years prior to my getting
started I had friends and acquaintances who did this kind of work...
And I could not tell you how often I would watch these guys MAKE themselves fashionably late,
we ain't even talking 15 or 20 minutes here, we're talking at the least several to many hours and often days...
The sad of it is they could have got there on the dot and in plenty of time but instead CHOSE not to,
in most of these instances it wasn't even raining and they weren't even that busy.
They wouldn't even call the customer.

Now I am not entirely innocent either, we get on in the years and we want to be
or think we are this big bad business owner and I think that might play a part in it.
But it is very important, and if can't make it, call the customer.

Anyhow didn't mean to rag, better luck next time.

Loadsmasher
04-29-2009, 11:33 AM
You have to put yourself in the customer's position. She doesn't know you TRIED to call. She only knows you didn't do what you said you would. It's not her fault that your equipment broke down. You say it's not her fault by any means, yet you're apparently pissed at her.

Sounds like a big communication problem more than anything, but that's on you, not her.

Write it off and press on. Handle it professionally and you might get more work from her or a good referral in the future.

RhettMan
04-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Well...

haha I love a good analogy

cutterschoice24
04-29-2009, 12:27 PM
I must agree that is why when you buy equipment you make sure the dealer will be able to take care of you so if you have a problem no worries or you talk to a friend that's in the business most all of us on here have back up mowers.

Glenn Lawn Care
04-29-2009, 01:45 PM
i did call her friday and left her a meassage saying i wouldnt be there. my thatcher is what broke ( some welds) so my other mower wont have done any good