PDA

View Full Version : EricELM Memorial Scholarship Fund

parkwest
03-28-2002, 12:49 PM
I was thinking of how we could all contribute to set up an Eric Erickson Memorial Scholarship Fund for young people who would like to enter this industry, so his memory may go on.

What do you guys think?

Twotoros
03-28-2002, 01:00 PM
Sounds like a plan. I can spare some $. Maybe Dixe Chopper will be able to get it off the ground .

Esby
03-28-2002, 01:41 PM
I really like this idea. How will it be given out....will it be a national award, or more locally from where Eric was located? His determination to teach others should live on, even if he can no longer communicate directly with people. Its a great idea, now ther just needs to be more backing....

JimK
03-28-2002, 05:30 PM
Neat idea. Here's a couple of things to consider:

Turf Magazine and its sister, FARMING, both have scholarship funds. It was a struggle until we threw down the cash to create a non-profit 501 corporation to handle the money. Without it, this could be a mess. We are right now trying to set this up.

When/if we get this corp going, it could also handle the Eric fund, as long as I could get some of you folks to be on a board of directors. These things take time.

John Allin
03-28-2002, 05:52 PM
I think it's a good idea.
Kudo's to Turf for considering administering
Jim is right.... takes alot of effort. And, serving in a board capacity can take considerable time and money. Usually the expenses associated with such volunteer time is not reimbursed by the "fund"....
However, such service can be quite rewarding.

bruces
03-28-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by JimK
Neat idea. Here's a couple of things to consider:

Turf Magazine and its sister, FARMING, both have scholarship funds. It was a struggle until we threw down the cash to create a non-profit 501 corporation to handle the money. Without it, this could be a mess. We are right now trying to set this up.

When/if we get this corp going, it could also handle the Eric fund, as long as I could get some of you folks to be on a board of directors. These things take time.

Good point, if a scholarship in Eric's memory could be established under the umbrella of the existing 501(c)(3) (charitable) corporation, the deductions would be tax deductible.

If we just start some kind of scholarship fund without going through the formalities, the donations technically would not be tax deductible.

I know that is not everyone's primary thought in giving, but it makes it even better if we could contribute to a fund in Eric's memory and get a tax write off at the same time.

Twotoros
03-28-2002, 08:35 PM
I think it should be awarded for those in his home state.

parkwest
03-28-2002, 08:54 PM
2toros, I think you're getting the cart ahead of the horse.

The news had a story about a group of firefighters building a house, then selling it for a fund raiser for widows and children of firefighters killed in the line of duty. I was wondering how we could do something like that here to build up the fund enough that it generated enough on interest alone to pay for scholarships into perpetuity. Not a one shot deal.

Lanelle
03-28-2002, 09:36 PM
I think that this is a great idea. The family should be informed of the intentions and maybe consulted regarding some details. The geographic scope might be determined by what can be properly administered. Eric didn't limit his involvement to people in his local area so a broader reach might be considered.

Darryl G
03-28-2002, 10:50 PM
Great idea guys, but I was wondering if Eric's family is financially secure enough to get buy without him? Maybe we should take care of them first. Just a thought.

Quail Creek LC
03-28-2002, 10:57 PM
I agree with darryl on this one. I believe that first intentions should be to help his family out first and then if there are any leftovers start up a scholarship fund. His family should be taken care of FIRST!!