PDA

View Full Version : Run Lawn Boy with leaner oil to gas ratio??

fnbrowning
04-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Mower, 1992 Lawn-Boy S21ZSR
To date, always used Lawn Boy oil @ 32:1

First, the back story:

The lower seal started leaking again, and oil was sprayed across the deck. 3rd seal in the last 5 years.
1st time I just replaced the seal. 2nd time I checked the crankshaft (even though I never hit anything hard) replaced upper & lower bearings, + the seal. This time, I asked the repair counterman at the lawn, garden & feed supply store what gives?

He asked if the muffler was heavy with carbon. It was. The repair counterman said that the mufflers could get clogged and cause back pressure. Suggest I de-carbonize or replace the muffler & seal.

GET THIS! He also claims that the 32:1 mix is too rich. That Lawn-Boy was being far too conservative on their lubrication standard. He sez that you can run a modern 2-cycle oil in the Lawn-Boys at 40:1 and still provide sufficient lubrication, while keeping the carbon buildup down.

Question:

What say you all? My 2-cycle trimmer, blower and chain saw all call out 40:1 With the new lubricants - may of which are synthetic, - can the ratio be pushed up for this 1992 Lawn Boy as well?

Thanks!

Ben's Landscape
04-28-2009, 08:12 PM
I have herd that also that the 32:1 was to heavy for the mowers. Right now i am having a carb issue with mine and oil is pouring out the exhaust. I would suggest slowly leaning out the oil. Say 36:1 try that then got to 40:1 if that don't work. Good luck.

fnbrowning
04-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks Ben.

Anyone else what to chime in before I buy gas for the new season?

Pennington Lawncare
04-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Oh Lord, please try some Amsoil Saber at 80:1 and save yourselves some money and fumigation.

Pennington Lawncare
04-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks Ben.

Anyone else what to chime in before I buy gas for the new season?

Are you buying gas for the entire season and mixing the oil just once this season? I know you are new to the forums so I would advise for you to look at some of the 2 stroke oil threads we have had on here in the past year. People are coming around to using Amsoil Saber which is 100% synthetic oil and it is recommended by Amsoil for it to be mixed at 100:1.

One fellow on here has been giving away Amsoil Saber samples.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atp.aspx
Is the info link to the oil. Welcome to Lawnsite.

blake101
04-29-2009, 05:04 PM
While we are talking about it, how do you de-carbonize it?

He asked if the muffler was heavy with carbon. It was. The repair counterman said that the mufflers could get clogged and cause back pressure. Suggest I de-carbonize or replace the muffler & seal.

Pennington Lawncare
04-29-2009, 08:45 PM
I assume it would mean removing the muffler and soaking it in a solvent of some sort. Then the carbon might soften up and could be brushed away with a wire brush.

Roger
04-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Pennington, the reclaiming of a muffler might be more difficult than it seems. I have a LB DuraForce that I used for several seasons. It was a great source of trouble for me (three short blocks in four seasons). After one of the short block replacements, I decided to try using a richer fuel mix. I think I tried 40:1, and ran for about four weeks before the muffler was clogged. I saw no way to even start to get it cleared out. Actually, I have two clogged ones in the corner of the shop. I kept them thinking I could borrow a Sawz-All to cut through it to see what was inside -- never did that, however.

I am doubting that much of anything would dissolve. There is no clear passage way to get anything inside to clean, scrape, or scrub.

Clearly, the hazard of trying to be "on the safe side" with a richer fuel mixture will come back to bite. The buildup in the exhaust ports and muffler make this "good deed" downright disastrous.

I formerly used a LB, model F (just before the DuraForce engine). This engine was notorious for exhaust port clogging with LB oil, 32:1 (as recommended). I needed to take off the canister muffler on the bottom to get access to the ports for cleaning. I still have a 3/8" wooden dowel in my toolbox - always with me, never knew when I would need to do a cleaning task. I switched to a synthetic oil at 75:1, and the clogging problem was gone. The engine has huge service hours, and always has run very well. The DuraForce, ... well, that's another story for another day.

fnbrowning
04-29-2009, 09:52 PM
I assume it would mean removing the muffler and soaking it in a solvent of some sort. Then the carbon might soften up and could be brushed away with a wire brush.

Like Rodger said. de-carbonizing a LB muffler is harder than it would seem.
The only suggestion I got was to remove it, fill it with gas and burn the carbon out! :eek:

I told the repair counterman that I considered that idea too dangerous! :nono:

On another note, sorry guys, I'm not going to drink the Amsoil Kool-Aid! :laugh:

But it looks like 40:1 is reasonable for new formulation oils.

Thanks!

Jason Rose
04-29-2009, 10:50 PM
If you don't like Amsoil, use Opti-2. I can tell you, the 32:1 is just for LB oil, not any "modern" oils. You are lucky to even find lawnboy oil anymore.

I also don't understand why people are quoting the Amsoil Sabre as being an 80:1 mix, it's not. It's supposed to be mixed at 100:1, and it works just fine at just that. I've been mixing Opti-2 at 100:1 for YEARS and have trimmers that run as good as new that are 4+ years old and get used like crazy every day.

The Opti-2 (and the Amsoil Sabre) are both a "all for one" kind of mix. The mix ratio of the oil to gas is irrevalant to what you are putting it in. They will work is any 2 cycle engine. Now some OLD equipment, and I'm talking OLD, may spec 16:1, and I'd be leary of trusting a 100:1 mix in something like that if you are really worried about it.

bare spot
04-29-2009, 10:59 PM
pick up a lanwboy a few days ago and been debating the mix also but got to ask about the muffler and ports, and on where it clogs up. does the u pipe clog up or does it build up in the muffler? or pretty much everywhere? had mine apart and the u pipe was very clean as well as i could see up into the piston but really didn't get in to the muffler, or take it apart. it's a duraforce btw, on the mix, was thinking of going with the opti, been running it in the handhelds.

Pennington Lawncare
04-29-2009, 11:47 PM
browning, if you don't want to drink the Amsoil kool-aid that's fine but, changing from 36:1 to 40:1 is almost insignificant. Read Roger's post about how he changed to a synthetic oil and went to 75:1 and how the carbon and oozing from exhaust has been eliminated. Try any synthetic oil you want and go to at least 50:1 ratio for goodness sake.

I only said go to 80:1 with Amsoil to be on the extra safe side and once people have gone 80:1 with Amsoil they'll usually go to 100:1 once they see that it works fine at 80:1. Amsoil did not formulate that oil and come up with a 100:1 ratio if they thought it was going to get them sued by every one who did as they recommended.

I have ran Husqvarna and Stihl chainsaws at 100:1 using Amsoil Saber and chainsaws cutting through a big log of hard wood puts the engine under a lot more strain than a trimmer or push lawn mower will ever see. If a chainsaw can survive under such high engine load then it's a piece of cake for a trimmer, blower, or push mower.

Just think of all the mosquitoes you'll save if you go to a leaner oil mix :laugh:

Richard Martin
04-30-2009, 04:58 AM
I also don't understand why people are quoting the Amsoil Sabre as being an 80:1 mix, it's not. It's supposed to be mixed at 100:1, and it works just fine at just that.

Amsoil isn't supposed to be at any specific ratio. It can be mixed at ratios as lean as 100:1 and that's why that is on the bottle. On the back of the bottle it says "For severe service applications (stuff clipped out) richer mix ratios of 50:1 to 80:1 are recommended". I've been preaching the 80:1 ratio here at Lawnsite for a very long time and there's a good reason for it. I buy 8 oz bottles. If you dump one of those in 5 gallons of gas it comes out to 80:1. It's simple and easy to do. No measuring, no mess. :)

Optimum Lawn
04-30-2009, 09:11 AM
50 to 1 for me with a high grade synthetic oil for ALL my 2 stroke equipment and bikes
Never have had a engine failure from oil
Oil of choice for me Belray H1R

For getting the oil/carbon out from the steel muffler......heat it up real HOT using a torch or a old self clean oven used outside(on self clean mode)!!!! as it will smoke like crazy till all the oil/carbon burns off. Then tap out the dust AFTER it cools and go.

topsites
04-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Tell that machine the next time it messes up you are throwing it in the garbage,
and don't let it play you with that big sad puppy eyes trick either.

fnbrowning
04-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I have the information I need.

Tell that machine the next time it messes up you are throwing it in the garbage,
and don't let it play you with that big sad puppy eyes trick either.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good one. My "problem" is that I'm the son of a Depression-era kid.
So "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without" was heard over-n-over when I was grownning up. Hard to break olde habits! ;)

Jason Rose
04-30-2009, 09:52 PM
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without" was heard over-n-over when I was grownning up. Hard to break olde habits! ;)

Too bad that mentality is lost on the younger generation... Yes, I'm one of them too. Too often it would be so smart to just fix stuff and keep it going, but the lure of new in this day and age has put this country in the financial crisis it's in today...

360ci
11-07-2009, 11:59 AM
I've been running Amsoil products in everything for the last 6-7 years. I've had good luck with the 2 stroke blends up to 100:1 without any problems throughout the seasons. I'm picking up a Lawnboy Silver Series this evening and plan to do a thorough inspection of the unit as it's my first LawnBoy, but I've been itching to get a 2 stroke for a good while. The cost for a new unit has always been to high.

I am curious though if anyone has used SeaFoam at their lawnboy 2 stroke and if so what the results were? I'm debating in picking some up when I go stateside in a couple weeks for my truck, but if the carbon buildup is bad in this mower, perhaps seafoam can help get rid of most of it, without tearing the engine components apart?

bighaydenslawn
11-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I have a 1994 Commercial Lawn-Boy and it calls for 32:1 Lawn-Boy oil as well. I did some experimenting and now I just run it on the 50:1 synthetic (Stihl) that i run my handhelds. Never had a single problem with that.

MnGreen
11-07-2009, 06:39 PM
I've been running Amsoil products in everything for the last 6-7 years. I've had good luck with the 2 stroke blends up to 100:1 without any problems throughout the seasons. I'm picking up a Lawnboy Silver Series this evening and plan to do a thorough inspection of the unit as it's my first LawnBoy, but I've been itching to get a 2 stroke for a good while. The cost for a new unit has always been to high.

I am curious though if anyone has used SeaFoam at their lawnboy 2 stroke and if so what the results were? I'm debating in picking some up when I go stateside in a couple weeks for my truck, but if the carbon buildup is bad in this mower, perhaps seafoam can help get rid of most of it, without tearing the engine components apart?

I run seafoam in my 2 stroke equipment. Every other fill of the fuel /Amsoil mix I put seafoam in as well.
So 2 wks out of the month everything is being run with seafoam in the fuel.

lawnboy dan
11-08-2009, 09:12 AM
you can burn the carbon out of a muff with a tourch -its safe and fun too

carriedrewdog
11-08-2009, 10:13 AM
When the steaks are done throw the muffler on the coals (lazy method).

2cycled fruitcake
11-25-2009, 11:36 AM
hmm, makin me wonder,
i have a 10227 silver series, w comml grade motor,&a(n)r7070,
i've used, gumout2cycle oil, w ratio of 8:1
no oil leak or loss,
restoring the r7070 this winter, gunna bake the muffler in a charcoal fire,
then blow it out w compressed air when cold, n repaint it

carriedrewdog
11-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Unless I'm mistaken that muffler bolts to the bottom of the engine and is taken apart for cleaning. Look for a big horseshoe shaped container surrounding the shaft under the deck, held on by 3 bolts.