PDA

View Full Version : Front entrance design

vale of paradise
04-28-2009, 10:45 PM
I need to do a design for a subdivision entrance thou I have several ideas in mind I would like to get someone elses thoughts on ideas. If I can email some pictures of the entrance way would someone be willing to throw there ideas? The customer is the chairperson is for the HOA is needing to please the who group so I think maybe with different ideas she is bound to please most of the group in the HOA.

Thanks

AGLA
04-29-2009, 05:35 AM
Whenever you deal with an HOA or condo board or any other group as a client, the first thing you need to do is understand the overall values of the group. Budget, maintenance, and aesthetics priorities can be all over the place. When you deal with a group through an individual, sometimes they are in tune with all of that, but sometimes they have their own agenda that is more about themselves than the group.

The most important thing to get people to follow your design is to have a reason for everything you do. Sometimes we do that so intuitively that we forget to explain it to the clients. State your reasoning first as you describe what you are planning. It forces others to reason out their views, views of others, and to understand why your design makes sense.

You should not have to make several different option designs if you get enough information up front and talk out options for the client reaction prior to design.

White Gardens
04-29-2009, 10:03 AM
I need to print your post out AGLA. That is a good guide line for HOA accounts. Your totally right about convincing the group about the project. I've seen many times how some individuals want to force their will with community projects.

PaperCutter
04-30-2009, 01:08 PM
You do realize what's going to happen if you present multiple options, right? The HOA will design this by committee, and take a piece from design A, 5 or 6 plants from B, oooo I like the bed shape for C, and so on... At the end, it'll look like it was designed by some homeowners on an HOA board, not a pro.

The customer is coming to you because YOU are the expert. Give them what you consider the best solution for their space, and as AGLA said... own it. Sell it. If you aren't the expert, hire a designer to do the entry feature. If you have a good relationship with your contact, you may be able to pass the cost along to the HOA (although... good luck there)