PDA

View Full Version : having trailer problems

Plow God
04-29-2009, 05:26 PM
I have a 28 foot enclosed gooseneck trailer and the brakes are not working. the brake lights are but not the actual brakes, when i press on the brakes the controller shows a 0.0 when i squeeze the emergancy it shows what ever i have it set on any ideas

Horsepower Lawns
04-29-2009, 07:56 PM
What is your truck? Year, make, ect. What is you control. Some of them, when set right, show 0.0 unless you are slowing down.
Do the brakes work off the hand slide?

hackalot
04-29-2009, 11:08 PM
I have a 28 foot enclosed gooseneck trailer and the brakes are not working. the brake lights are but not the actual brakes, when i press on the brakes the controller shows a 0.0 when i squeeze the emergancy it shows what ever i have it set on any ideas

Like the previous poster said, check your trailer brakes with the manual slide. Also just have someone stand by your trailer wheels while you press the brake pedal in your truck. If the trailer brakes are working they should here the calipers.

Did you circuit test your plug for the pin that controls your trailer brakes? Generally the blue wire is your electric brake pin.

Plow God
04-30-2009, 08:17 AM
i have tried all of that, my truck is a 2007 chevy silverado 2500 hd ,no problems from truck down

seabee1
04-30-2009, 12:34 PM
if the brake's in fact will not stop the trailer off the brake pedal ,and will off the hand actuator then one side of your controller may be burned out ! jack up the trailer and try the control buy hand and then foot brake operation to verify . :waving:

Horsepower Lawns
04-30-2009, 02:23 PM
i have tried all of that, my truck is a 2007 chevy silverado 2500 hd ,no problems from truck down

You never said if the brakes work off the slide.

If they do, check & see if your 3rd brake light works. It is what tells your control to work. Look for a fuse marked "CHMSL", it will be under the hood or on the side of the dash.

Plow God
04-30-2009, 05:43 PM
the brakes dont work off the slide, thank you everone for your input

fordsrule
04-30-2009, 06:16 PM
I dont have any trailers with brakes on them becuase all of mine are too small for them, but i have always heard that you need to make sure the electric brakes are ajusted right. Its possible that you just need to adjust the brakes on each axle.

Plow God
04-30-2009, 06:57 PM
all fuses are good, brakes are in right adjustment,

seabee1
04-30-2009, 07:20 PM
you could be losing the ground on the magnet's ,check the wires on the magnets there are two on each,one is ground ,one is 12vt your loosing either,prob the voltage signal ,check the plug on the truck then the magnet's ,even check the ground between the truck and trailer . :confused:

Plow God
04-30-2009, 08:39 PM
I will check that ,quick question, i do not have a battery for my trailer, didnt come with one . bought it new in 1997 is this strange?

Horsepower Lawns
04-30-2009, 08:56 PM
I will check that ,quick question, i do not have a battery for my trailer, didnt come with one . bought it new in 1997 is this strange?

You should have some kind of breakaway battery. If you don't have any kind of battery, how have you been passing DOT every year?

What is the controler?
Stupid question, but I have to ask. Did they ever work & are you sure. I can't tell you how many time someone has came into the shop and said the brakes worked on the way there, but there is no way they could have. (Stuff like rusted up solid or no brake parts)
When the control shows 0.0 what are you doing. Are you moving, slowing down, stopped, ect.

With you truck being an 07 you don't have the brake control plug under the dash, you have 4 wires that you hook to & a Hot & brake control hot under the hood to hook up. Are both of them hooked up?
Also make sure you brake control ground in hooked up, I have seen the control do some strange stuff when the ground in not hooked up.

Some else to try. UNPLUG THE TRAILER FROM THE TRUCK. Jack up one side of the trailer and pull the breakaway pin. Thats if you have a battery & its charged.

Let us know what you find.

Plow God
04-30-2009, 10:22 PM
thanks for tip, will check it out and get back to you.

4.3mudder
04-30-2009, 10:59 PM
I have the Tekonsha P3. On mine, when I have everything hooked up, it will say 0.0, when I push on the brake, it will show minimal voltage based on the boost settings it has. But maybe on yours, it will be 0.0 when sitting still on the brake. Try getting out on the road, and see if he 0.0 will go up to 1.0 or 2.0 when you start to come to a stop.