PDA

View Full Version : Dimension is down.. what would you do?

Lawn-Scapes
03-28-2002, 06:39 PM
Hey...

I went to aerate an account today that I picked up late last season and there was a large (15'x15') brown patch in the middle of the front lawn.

The owner called me an hour ago (noticing I aerated) and asked if I saw the brown patch.. I said yes. I asked her what happened? She said she didn't know. I said.. was it an all of a sudden thing or did it start small and progress? She said it was small and progressed to what it is.. in 3 weeks time. I said.. why didn't you call when you first noticed it? She said she didn't think it would turn into this.. "maybe I should've called huh?" I said YES.

Anyway she wants to seed it. I told her the dimension went down and she would have to wait..

My question is.. what can I do to seed as soon as possible? Can I put top soil over the area and seed (creating a barrier between the seed and dimension)? Till it under and add soil?

The thing that sucks is that the entire (42,000sf) lawn needs seeding.. It's very thin (lots of dirt showing) all over. I offered to aerate and seed last fall.. but she declined. If I seed this little spot.. the rest of the lawn will look much worse than it already does!

What would you do?

Let me know.. Thanks

TLS
03-28-2002, 06:51 PM
Did you spread dimension on that big 15x15 area, knowing that the customer would "probably" want to have it fixed. Why also did you Dimension when she wants the whole lawn re-seeded?

Not cutting up your procedures, but I would have just skipped it and called them before doing anything.

What caused the 15x15 brown patch area?

LAWNS AND MOWER
03-28-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by TLS
Did you spread dimension on that big 15x15 area, knowing that the customer would "probably" want to have it fixed. Why also did you Dimension when she wants the whole lawn re-seeded?

Not cutting up your procedures, but I would have just skipped it and called them before doing anything.

What caused the 15x15 brown patch area?

TLS- If you'll reread TSG's thread, you'll notice that he offered to reseed in the fall and the lady declined. Also, the lady doesn't want the whole yard reseeded, just the brown spot. You need to pay attention to details. Seems like you had this problem the other week about headphones. Read the thread twice and slow before you post.

LAWNS AND MOWER

Lawn-Scapes
03-28-2002, 08:15 PM
Thomas,

I might not have made myself clear. I didn't do the application (I know who did). I just aerated.. today. She wants to know if the bad spots (an old bare spot and this new dead area) can be fixed...

Like I said the entire lawn looks like crap.. but this spot stands out more now because it's completely dead. If I seed this area then it might stand out as the only decent grass... OR it may be a waste of time altogether because it's on a bank, all day sun with no irrigation.

She should've called someone when it was a small patch.

I dug around and didn't find any insects?? So I don't know.. Are grubs active at this time of year?

If she wants it seeded.. should I till it? Will that do it?

Richard Martin
03-28-2002, 08:40 PM
You can try watering the area heavily for about a week. This might wash the Dimension out or dilute it enough to let grass seed grow.

TLS
03-28-2002, 10:16 PM
Just what are you trying to say? That I dont pay attention! :angry:

There is nothing in his post or my post that indicates any need to RE-READ his post.

TSG,

The Dimension is a pre&post emergent crabgrass/weed control product. It produces a barrier which prevents the germination of said weeds. You just ruined the effectiveness of this application by aerating today. All those little holes are now breeding grounds for the crabgrass to germinate.

Has the Dimension been watered in? You may try and blow (push blower) all remaining granuals (was it granular or liquid?) off the bad area, scratch it up add a little topsoil, and hope for the best. Tell her you cant guarantee success. Although I think you'll be OK with that.

Could this be a bad area of last years crabgrass still dead from the winter?

TSG,
I'm trying to help you out here, just don't like the way I was just jumped on by L&M. :rolleyes:

Kent Lawns
03-28-2002, 11:46 PM
I think the Dimension will bite you in the behind, because it controls post-emergence control as well.

1grnlwn
03-29-2002, 12:59 AM
Maybe sod?

Mark

Got Grass?
03-29-2002, 01:05 AM
Seed the area for her, then she may notice how bad the rest of the lawn looks and how good it could look. Maby she would want ya to seed the rest then.

KirbysLawn
03-29-2002, 01:34 AM
Well, this is a great reason why to do all the work yourself. First, you must figure out what happened. Any auto's in the lawn idling for a ling period of time, any mower fuel leaks, have any workers fueled a mower on the lawn? Did the fertilizing company have a spill? What kind of grass is this?

You may be able to till and fill with new dirt and get some results, not sure.

lbmd1
03-29-2002, 07:46 AM
Just wondering if the brown 15 x 15 area could be the result of their septic system. We have had a few man made looking patches like this and it is sometimes due to the phosphates in the laundry detergent which affect the grass above, turning it brown. Usually after a few apps with a shot of nitrogen watered in gets it green again.

Mike

Nebraska
03-29-2002, 09:34 AM
SOD THE SPOT!

Harvestman
03-31-2002, 08:13 AM
I agree sod sod sod. If you seed you are wasting time and money.

TurfPlus
03-31-2002, 12:20 PM
Here is a few things you can do.

1. Use activated charcoal (sprayable) to neutralize the Dimension, lightly till to work the charcoal into the soil then seed a few weeks after.

2. Topdress with topsoil. If you were using Pre-M you might just be able to till to break the barrier.

3. Sod

4. Your only other option would be to wait until late summer to aerate and overseed.

Hope that helps.
John

jeffyr
03-31-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn
Well, this is a great reason why to do all the work yourself.

That is great advice Ray. and sounds like an easy sell at this point.

Since it is such a small area I would sod like many others pointed out. This won't blend with the rest either, but using Ray's line of thought, tell her if you aerate and overseed in the fall you can get the rest of the lawn to catch up to that great looking green patch !

jeffyr