PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Ford F350 Super Duty repairs

EVM
04-30-2009, 11:37 PM
I am looking at buy this crew cab dually with 165K miles on it for around $12,000. What kind of repairs will I be looking at in the near future? I don't think the truck was used for any serious work or towing. The truck is loaded with leather etc so I guess it was the owners company/personal truck.

TXNSLighting
05-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Probably a bit of Front end work. Im sure the tranny has been replaced. Other than that truck should be great for years to come. Just keep the oil changed, Air Filter clean, and fuel filter replaced every 15k.

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
05-01-2009, 08:23 AM
If you like lawnsite for lawncare........you will like www.fordtrucks.com for Ford trucks. THere is a ton of knowledgable guys on there to help with any type of problems/questions you may have about almost any ford truck/suv dating way back. Ball joints are one of the most common thing to go out on the superduty, TXNS is probably right, tranny might have already been worked on or may be needed to in the future especially if its the 4R100, they are pretty solid from what i hear but cannot handle all the torque that alot of people put on them with chips, programmers, etc. Just a few thoughts but be sure and check out that forum if you are very serious about buying or if you do eventually buy.........a Great resource!

Gravel Rat
05-01-2009, 01:26 PM
You will probably have the usual stuff like brakes and ball joints etc. May need springs. Is the truck gas or diesel.

When you buy a used truck you just have to take the chance.

If the truck looks good and runs good buy it.

Need4racin
05-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Probably a bit of Front end work. Im sure the tranny has been replaced. Other than that truck should be great for years to come. Just keep the oil changed, Air Filter clean, and fuel filter replaced every 15k.

You forgot the transmission fluid, and rear differential gear oil, assuming it's 2wd.

tenndigger
05-01-2009, 07:14 PM
I own a 2000 F250 powerstroke with almost the same mileage. My truck is used for heavy towing and lots of offroad. Does this truck have any performance upgrades? Typically the torque converter comes apart which causes the tranny to fail. Ask about the glow plug relay and the glow plugs. Front hub bearings will go and you have to replace the entire hub. One of mine is still original. Brakes and rotors are easy. Water pump, ball joints, batteries are close to replacement time if not already. Fuel injection pump and injectors are hard to evaluate. Check out dieselstop.com for lots of info. The 7.3 engine is considered to be the most reliable.

EVM
05-01-2009, 08:44 PM
This truck is a diesel. I usually buy older trucks and never owned a diesel. I spoke to the seller today and he said the truck has had its routine maintenance and thats it. No new trans, radiator, etc. I have a 99 Dodge Ram, I already put a trans, radiator in it and it only has 110K on it. Anyways the truck is real clean so who knows. I guess a new trans would cost 1k, a new radiator around $400.00, ball joints$?$?$?, Fuel injection pump and injectors?$?$?$?$?$
The guy never mentioned any performance upgrades.

TXNSLighting
05-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Um expect atleast $2500 for a Tranny. If the tranny has made it this far, its got a good bit of life left. Prob start watching it around 200k. Our 96 powerstroke has 220k and its still on the factory tranny. Injectors are about a grand a piece. But its rare for those to go if you keep good fuel in it. Definitely check out www.fordtrucks.com They have lotsa good info for all Fords.

EVM
05-02-2009, 07:08 AM
Ok so I started to check out the FordTruck.com site. Thanks for the link, very useful stuff.

Bobcat John
05-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Another site to check is powerstrokehelp.com. That has a section on buying a used diesel truck. Also lots of maintenance tips for 7.3 and 6.0 owners. Anyone reading this that has a 6.0 should check this site out.

EVM
05-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Wow, thank you, awesome site with tons of info.

Another site to check is powerstrokehelp.com. That has a section on buying a used diesel truck. Also lots of maintenance tips for 7.3 and 6.0 owners. Anyone reading this that has a 6.0 should check this site out.

EVM
05-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Any really good sites for dodge/chevy trucks?

If you like lawnsite for lawncare........you will like www.fordtrucks.com for Ford trucks. THere is a ton of knowledgable guys on there to help with any type of problems/questions you may have about almost any ford truck/suv dating way back. Ball joints are one of the most common thing to go out on the superduty, TXNS is probably right, tranny might have already been worked on or may be needed to in the future especially if its the 4R100, they are pretty solid from what i hear but cannot handle all the torque that alot of people put on them with chips, programmers, etc. Just a few thoughts but be sure and check out that forum if you are very serious about buying or if you do eventually buy.........a Great resource!

TXNSLighting
05-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Any really good sites for dodge/chevy trucks?

gas or diesel? Diesel: GM is www.dieselplace.com, dodge is www.cumminsforum.com

www.dodgeforum.com www.chevroletforum.com

tenndigger
05-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Wow the powerstrokehelp site is on the money how these trucks work and how they need to be maintained. I quickly went thru some of his video info and he really tells it like it is. BTW I had to put two new batteries in my truck yesterday. The cheap "club" batteries just don't hold up. Also a tranny rebuild is $2500 - $3000 by a good shop. Front hubs were $375.00 each but now can be found for $250.00. As these trucks age more parts are available in the aftermarket. EVM I hope that you found a good truck. If a dually was his personal truck maybe he pulled a large boat or camper. Personally I would not like to drive a dually crew cab as my personal truck. I don't think you mentioned before is it a 4X4?

EVM
05-03-2009, 10:59 AM
I talked to the owner he said he used it for work but he kept the truck real clean. The guy was in the landscape business. The truck is not a 4 x 4. I might not get this truck from the guy being that he wants 13K firm and nothing has been replaced. The truck has 165K miles which is alot for the truck, maybe not for the engine, but I am learning about these trucks and everything else still fails. http://cnj.craigslist.org/ctd/1149949248.html This is the truck I am looking at right now. It has lower miles, body is ok, some minor dent on the bumper. This truck is what I need, no power windows etc. If inspection of the truck turns out ok; I might buy the truck.

Wow the powerstrokehelp site is on the money how these trucks work and how they need to be maintained. I quickly went thru some of his video info and he really tells it like it is. BTW I had to put two new batteries in my truck yesterday. The cheap "club" batteries just don't hold up. Also a tranny rebuild is $2500 - $3000 by a good shop. Front hubs were $375.00 each but now can be found for $250.00. As these trucks age more parts are available in the aftermarket. EVM I hope that you found a good truck. If a dually was his personal truck maybe he pulled a large boat or camper. Personally I would not like to drive a dually crew cab as my personal truck. I don't think you mentioned before is it a 4X4?

TXNSLighting
05-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Those options arent for that truck...

Bobcat John
05-03-2009, 02:54 PM
EVM without opening a whole can of worm's on the ford 6.0 thing I would think long and hard about buying a used one having been to that fire myself. Once out of warranty they are very expensive to repair. If you look at the fluid's and filter's video's on powerstokehelp you will understand the importance of maintaining those truck's. Another site to read is thedieselstop.com

EVM
05-03-2009, 06:41 PM
EVM without opening a whole can of worm's on the ford 6.0 thing I would think long and hard about buying a used one having been to that fire myself. Once out of warranty they are very expensive to repair. If you look at the fluid's and filter's video's on powerstokehelp you will understand the importance of maintaining those truck's. Another site to read is thedieselstop.com

Yeah, I think I am just going to look for a gas dually. The repairs thing is a bit scary. I just need a dependable truck to cut grass with, my other grass truck is basically at the end of its road. I will probably get another season out of the truck; being that I already spent a bunch of money on repairs this year and it is back in the shop again. This will give me time to shop around.