PDA

View Full Version : push mower suggestions less than $1000

ajy
03-28-2002, 11:45 PM
hey,
i have two push mowers, a commercial snapper and a residential snapper. i am not satisified with either one of them. i know the commercial toro is the best pushmower on the market but i really don't want to pay $1000 for a push mower that i will not use a whole lot. using my exmark 60" z and 44" walkbehind leaves me little room for the push mower. what would you guys reccomened to be the next best thing, (other than lawn boy) commercial or residential, to purchase.

Kent Lawns
03-28-2002, 11:48 PM
Craftsman.

We've been down the route with the $1000 push mowers and have found the Craftsman $275 mowers more cost effective.

Just make sure you sell them after 2 (maybe 3) seasons.

mowngrow
03-28-2002, 11:50 PM
i don't know what everyone else uses but my mower(21") of choice is the honda. I do not use it very much. I bought it two years ago from one of the dealers that i buy from. he has a full line of honda mowers. res. to comm 21" paid 500.00 for the res model and still using it. it bags like no other with the quadracut system.
good luck

Mowingman
03-28-2002, 11:54 PM
John Deere JX75, $710.00. I have several and the oldest is still going after 5 years of hard use.:D

ohiolawnguy
03-29-2002, 12:02 AM
yeah those honda's are pretty nice machines. you could also look into the toro personal pace mower.

we still use a 1990 toro 21" self propelled mower with a 2 cycle suzuki engine. the things makes the nices stripes of any push mower we have.

if you need a push mower for steep banks, 2 cycle engines are the way to go.

BTW we have a commercial snapper also. i dont really like it.

if you could find a used ransomes/bobcat 21" mower those are ok too. made out of magnesium alloy, the frames tend to outlast the engine.

GreenIsland
03-29-2002, 12:32 AM
Try a Toro with the BBC system I believe they are model 20438-- ANyway 3 speed self propelled , excellent machines all the way around-I have used one since 1993 commerically --without one problem period --just regular matainence. It is my understanding that you don't want one wiht the personal pace system therefore you will need the BBc system-- excellent mowers. Can not praise them enough..

proline32
03-29-2002, 12:32 AM
I understand your problem, i've been looking into new machines for this year and tested some snappers.... I didn't really care for it, I have an older proline that I like but new ones are expensive, I love the commercial hondas, but you know those residential hondas are built real well to and you can get a three speed rear bagger for around $500 at the home depot. If you can get a toro super recycler with a 3 spd tranny and a 6.5 GTS engine those are great also.

GreenIsland
03-29-2002, 12:34 AM
Whoops model is 20487-- not previous mentioned one.

ohiolawnguy
03-29-2002, 01:28 AM
greenisland, out toro is the 3 speed also, model 22685, had to order our first part ever today. the bolt on the front wheel. the only reason i suggested the personal pace mower, is beacause the dealer seems to like it so well. he used to be a lawn maintenance contractor also, so he understands the issue of wear and tear by LCO's

however, ive never actually used the personal pace mower, so i cannot vouch for it as a quality, or durable machine.

GLS
03-29-2002, 01:38 AM
I agree with mowingman on the jx75. I bought it last spring and I love it. I previously owned crapsmans and got tired of them. The jx75 cost me $700 and was well worth it. It has a 6hp kawasaki engine with BBC and 5 speed rear drive.

I don't really like how the lawnboys have that staggered wheel. I have never used a honda, but hear they are also nice.

Tim Canavan
03-29-2002, 01:58 AM
If you're only needing one, buy the Honda. Remember Risky Buisness? There is no substitute.
If you need more than one, you could get two Lawn Boys for under a grand:cool: :cool:

vipermanz
03-29-2002, 04:42 AM
the staggered wheel really has it's advantages

ADLAWNCUTTERS
03-29-2002, 05:05 AM
STOP don't waste your time with wantabee mowers . go to home depot and buy the honda mower for around $500.00.it will start up for you every time.i have been using mowers since 1980.

totallpm
03-29-2002, 05:33 AM
It depend on how many yards that you do .

We bought two Honda hydro with the poly deck from home depot for about 500.00 each with the poly deck. We have enough properties that the mowers were used in one week as much as they were intended to be used over a 5 year period. Change the oil weekly and had no problems always starts. (152 residential cuts over 5 years)

Drawback is the transmissions lasted about 2 seasons and the wheels are a holow poly and only lasted a season. (24.00 each)

Mowers still run great even though they are now push mowers lasted 3 seasons

Husky has a commercial mower that mwe tried last year at about 600.00. wasn't to bad.

Thanks, Kevin Total Landscaping