PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Tundra Frames Rusting

AWJ Services
05-02-2009, 07:48 AM
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/investigative/19294250/detail.html

JB1
05-02-2009, 07:57 AM
I don't believe it, there supposed to be the best trucks on the market, at least that's what I read here on Lawnsite.

GravelyNut
05-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Buy cheap, get cheap.

Junior M
05-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Buy cheap, get cheap.
dont you have a tundra? ;)

Gravel Rat
05-02-2009, 04:32 PM
I'am not surprised one bit. You live in the rust belt where you have road salt and cheap chinese steel what do you expect you get RUST.

Toyota trucks always have known to rust out but not that soon.

Petr51488
05-02-2009, 09:47 PM
I'am not surprised one bit. You live in the rust belt where you have road salt and cheap chinese steel what do you expect you get RUST.

A 2000 truck should not rust to the point of the frame cracking no matter where you live. Yotas are known for frame rust period. I live in jersey and we get out fair share of salt snow slush and anything else that needs salt. My trucks have small rust spots here and there but nothing near what these trucks have. Mines a 98 and is perfect. Yea it has rust, but its not about to crack in half.

TXNSLighting
05-02-2009, 09:59 PM
dont you have a tundra? ;)

youre thinking of gravelyguy.

Junior M
05-02-2009, 10:03 PM
youre thinking of gravelyguy.
Oops.. :hammerhead:

Sorry for the mix up..

nosparkplugs
05-02-2009, 11:49 PM
WTF you guys salt the shat out of the roads in the snow belts this is one thing you just do not see with southern vehicles. Without a bath from time to time even a Toyota will rust, that looks like some IDIOT did not take care of their truck.

QualityLawnCare4u
05-03-2009, 12:14 AM
I don't believe it, there supposed to be the best trucks on the market, at least that's what I read here on Lawnsite.

The h*ll they are, I was stupid enough to own 4 of them. Most problematic vehicles I ever owned. If you could make it one month without taking it to the sorry azz dealer for repairs you have done good. Especially when they tell you every time its normal for that truck! And forget about calling Toyota CS, uncarring sorry bunch of scumbags! GRRRR, don't even get me started on Toyota! It gives me a warm cozy feeling all over when I drive by the dealer and see these beast lined up with huge rebates/discounts. The best one I owned was a 2000, only needed brakes done every 2000 miles, ball joints every other oil change, tail lights shorted out so many times the police knew me well, impossible to balance the tires on them, clunk in tranny. I will say though that the truck had a quite ride and towed with no problem, just hope the brakes will stop when you needed them to. Oh yeah, had a ravenous thirst for gas also.

lawn king
05-03-2009, 06:30 AM
No big suprise there.

GravelyNut
05-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Oops.. :hammerhead:

Sorry for the mix up..
I have a 2001 Chevy 3500 dually. And no rust on the frame. :usflag: And you're forgiven.

Looking Good Lawn Service
05-03-2009, 08:43 PM
wow, it completely rotted straight through the frame and leaf spring hangers, on a 2001, wow!! Man, I love my ford and GMC,lol!!

TXNSLighting
05-03-2009, 11:36 PM
wow, it completely rotted straight through the frame and leaf spring hangers, on a 2001, wow!! Man, I love my ford and GMC,lol!!

:clapping::clapping:

ZTR_Diesel
05-04-2009, 05:16 PM
I have personally looked through the frame on a 1997 Tacoma on a dealer's lot in our area. And my aunt took her 1996 4wd 4-cylinder Tacoma in for work and wound up with a check from Toyota for her truck, with 215,000 miles on it and a badly rusted frame, of over $10,000 as they bought it back.

So you can say "buy cheap - get cheap" however it's not true. They are not cheap to buy, they are not cheap to run (terrible gas mileage, T-belts on V6's etc) but they also hold thier value very well, even in nearly undrivable condition, and have much better support from thier parent company. Would GM or Ford conduct a buy-back if such a fault were found with thiers - and would they buy back a truck with over 200,000 miles on it? Furthermore, thier frames (just like GM, Ford & Dodge) are supplied to them these days, and this is a supplier quailty issue...meaning that the eventual bill gets handed to them, since they were the ones that failed.

GravelyNut
05-04-2009, 06:28 PM
I have personally looked through the frame on a 1997 Tacoma on a dealer's lot in our area. And my aunt took her 1996 4wd 4-cylinder Tacoma in for work and wound up with a check from Toyota for her truck, with 215,000 miles on it and a badly rusted frame, of over $10,000 as they bought it back.

So you can say "buy cheap - get cheap" however it's not true. They are not cheap to buy, they are not cheap to run (terrible gas mileage, T-belts on V6's etc) but they also hold thier value very well, even in nearly undrivable condition, and have much better support from thier parent company. Would GM or Ford conduct a buy-back if such a fault were found with thiers - and would they buy back a truck with over 200,000 miles on it? Furthermore, thier frames (just like GM, Ford & Dodge) are supplied to them these days, and this is a supplier quailty issue...meaning that the eventual bill gets handed to them, since they were the ones that failed.
The frames may be made by the same plant but what happens to them after they are made makes a difference. How does Toyota chemically prep the frames, how do they coat them, and when do the frame sections get welded together?

AWJ Services
05-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Would GM or Ford conduct a buy-back if such a fault were found with thiers - and would they buy back a truck with over 200,000 miles on it?

Luckily Ford and GM has never screwed up this bad but Toyota has on more than one occasion.Remember there first stab at a Mini van?
Ford has numerous extended mileage warranties on items that where not living up to there intended lifespan.(FWD Taurus Transmission for example).
What about Toyotas massive recall on ball joints and then 2 years later use the same Balljoint and have the same recall.:confused:

Preach that Toyota propaganda somewhere else.

ZTR_Diesel
05-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Luckily Ford and GM has never screwed up this bad but Toyota has on more than one occasion.Remember there first stab at a Mini van?
Ford has numerous extended mileage warranties on items that where not living up to there intended lifespan.(FWD Taurus Transmission for example).
What about Toyotas massive recall on ball joints and then 2 years later use the same Balljoint and have the same recall.:confused:

If you looked at my signature, you would see that I own a Dodge truck - so I'm not preaching propaganda.

I'm just stating what's happening. They are at least taking care of customers, such as the 3.0L V6 head gasket failures in the early '90's, the oil-gelling V6 Camarys and Lexus V6's of the late '90's and early 2000's. I never saw GM offer any assistance to the legions of hapless 3.1L V6 owners with head gasket failures after the warrenty period. Or the lift-pump and VP 44 injection system on "24 Valve" Dodge Cummins from 1998.5 - 2002.

I will certainly say that Toyota used to have a strong focus on quality, now they are seeking to get BIG. And it's starting to come back to bite them, pretty hard with these frame issues. You would think that finish coating a frame would be faily simple, right? now they have a literal hole in thier reputation.

Most of all, calm down a little and enjoy the spring. Life's too short to take everything so seriously.

QualityLawnCare4u
05-04-2009, 09:06 PM

"What about Toyotas massive recall on ball joints and then 2 years later use the same Balljoint and have the same recall".

Exactly! My toyota had the same d*mn ball joints but my truck was not on the recall list, so guess who gets stuck with the bill. And forget asking Toyota to help you, they are just as bad as any of the big 3. I fell for that Toyota is better crap but I had more trouble with them as any made in America vehicle.

AWJ Services
05-04-2009, 09:53 PM
I actually was a lead tech at a Ford dealership in a previous life so i know what Ford will do.Gm and dodge would not do what Ford would.
Toyota's reputation is not deserved and Spring means pollen so it sucks.LOL

TandM
05-05-2009, 10:34 AM
WOW! I just looked at my truck its a 2003 and they must have corrected the problem because it doesnt have a spot of rust under it

Junior M
05-05-2009, 11:16 AM
WOW! I just looked at my truck its a 2003 and they must have corrected the problem because it doesnt have a spot of rust under it
and where do you live? :hammerhead:

TandM
05-06-2009, 09:58 AM
I live in south east georgia. About 45 minutes north east of Jacksonville florida. I live on an Island so there is a lot of sand. Lots of sandy mud that is notorious for rusting trucks out. It appears to me that either toyota or the dealer put a good undercoating under the entire truck frame rails body suspension parts. there isnt any rust.

thestripmaster12
05-07-2009, 01:08 AM
their is no rock salt on the roads in Georgia for 6 to 8 months out of the year, Toyotas have always had their problems tho not including the frame problems. get a duramax. BUY AMERICAN!!

QualityLawnCare4u
05-07-2009, 01:22 AM
I live in south east georgia. About 45 minutes north east of Jacksonville florida. I live on an Island so there is a lot of sand. Lots of sandy mud that is notorious for rusting trucks out. It appears to me that either toyota or the dealer put a good undercoating under the entire truck frame rails body suspension parts. there isnt any rust.

Hello TandM, I see you are not that far from me.

TandM
05-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey yea Im on St.Simons But My grandma and basically my entire family lives in Nahunta and hickox. So im out towards waycross a lot. Where do you mainly mow at?

QualityLawnCare4u
05-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Hey yea Im on St.Simons But My grandma and basically my entire family lives in Nahunta and hickox. So im out towards waycross a lot. Where do you mainly mow at?

Most of my yards are in Waycross and Blackshear. I have one in Hoboken that I do that is a big ol one full of pine trees right on corridor z past the church on the right.

GravelyNut
05-07-2009, 09:22 PM
I actually was a lead tech at a Ford dealership in a previous life so i know what Ford will do.Gm and dodge would not do what Ford would.
Toyota's reputation is not deserved and Spring means pollen so it sucks.LOL

Spring means "yellow snow" in GA.

TandM
05-08-2009, 07:07 PM
This is true! I hate pollen. and Yea the corridor! Do you do any in nahunta? my grandmother lives there and Im tired of drivin that far to cut her yard. its a pretty big yard. let me know. Did you know Paul Thrift?

Capemay Eagle
05-12-2009, 01:43 AM

So you can say "buy cheap - get cheap" however it's not true. They are not cheap to buy, they are not cheap to run (terrible gas mileage, T-belts on V6's etc) but they also hold thier value very well, even in nearly undrivable condition, and have much better support from thier parent company. Would GM or Ford conduct a buy-back if such a fault were found with thiers - and would they buy back a truck with over 200,000 miles on it? Furthermore, thier frames (just like GM, Ford & Dodge) are supplied to them these days, and this is a supplier quailty issue...meaning that the eventual bill gets handed to them, since they were the ones that failed.This was a total sales pitch. Toyota has been sitting on tons off inventory, so what better to do than buy back a few trucks for pennies and give some incentives on a new truck.

lyube
05-14-2009, 12:09 AM
Never had a problem with them. Up until 1988 Toyota used recycled steel in their cars.

Friend's got a 98 Taco 4x4 4cyl with 280k on it, original everything, while at work the beat to hell box trucks that haven't had an oil change in 10k miles (v8 triton, 5.4l) run great, 142k and 199k apeice.

My first car was a toyota..my next vehicle will be an 03-09 Tacoma ext cab 4cyl 4x4 auto. I hate Government motors (GM) and Fiatsyler.

On a sidenote...the vehicle I was transported in to boot camp was a 2006 E150 van, v8 triton, 688k miles. Unbeleivable, the last one had 356k

lawnboy dan
05-20-2009, 07:41 AM
i am on my 3rd toyota truck and none has rusted out. best truck period! no1 went 300k on orig motor and auto trans-can others do that? not! no 2 has 170K and never a prob. no 3 is now 6yrs old and never been to dealer ex for the ball joint recall

Ramairfreak98ss
05-20-2009, 09:33 PM
seems to be mostly the 2000-2001s? i dont feel bad for them at all, you have your choice of "the big 3" and you choose brand X.. or choice #4.. why? because you like to be different than dodge/ford/gm boys? oh well.

Ford/gm/dodge have been making trucks for a lot longer, they are built better with a lot more experience, period.. thats funny though.

My pops has an 06 F150, his wife swears by toyota, i thought for once he might go that route, but he said no way, why make a switch when there is nothing wrong with whats been out for years?

QualityLawnCare4u
05-20-2009, 09:51 PM
This is true! I hate pollen. and Yea the corridor! Do you do any in nahunta? my grandmother lives there and Im tired of driving that far to cut her yard. its a pretty big yard. let me know. Did you know Paul Thrift?

The closest one I have to Nahunta is in Hoboken, a Thomas (like there are none of those in Brantley county :laugh:) I would go if it were worth my while or could get at least two there. Paul Thrift sounds real familiar. Seems like I have met or talked with him at one time but can't swear to it.

ZTR_Diesel
05-20-2009, 10:54 PM
This was a total sales pitch. Toyota has been sitting on tons off inventory, so what better to do than buy back a few trucks for pennies and give some incentives on a new truck.

Well, you could say that but remember that they have to scrap all those veichles as well, and that's pretty big money as well since they won't be legal to part out. For a little example of what this really costs, check out the following article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120942873506551291.html

snoope
05-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Sometimes I am amazed some of you do not run for office..........Bitc& about another then make yours best...get real.They all have problems ( GM and Dodge just got Obama'd) BUT as stated Toyota will back it up......How do I know, I own an '02 Tacoma and just got my Recall notice......they are keeping the truck 2-3 days ,pulling the bed and cleaning,prepping and repainting frame including all parts ( and giving a COMPLETE New warranty) PLUS giving me a loaner until done.......ball joint recall was "Uncle b.s." BUT they still did it.....
This is my 3rd Tacoma and Toyota # 13 for the family .......Everyone gets the "recall" bug.......My '87 Peterbilt got the Steering box from hell Letter.......a few failed and every '87-88 pete got a new box...

Our "New" Macks get update notices every other month now and on the "Yellow" machinery the mechanics are just about "parts changers" due to throw away parts...

This "Song" gets as "old" as mid '80's GM paint,F-series beds and Dodge auto's....Make your purchases where you get treated well,no matter what line and enjoy it until someone does it better for you......

Snoope..........Too dam old to be told different..

lyube
05-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Bro just bought an 09 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 for a fantastic price over an f150. Very nice truck, drives great...can't wait to get mine.

djfanintn
06-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Bro just bought an 09 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 for a fantastic price over an f150. Very nice truck, drives great...can't wait to get mine.

Wouldn't it have made a little more since to spend a few bucks more and get the Tundra? I like the Taco but the Tundra is a beast and is closer to the size of the F150.

poolboy
06-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Wouldn't it have made a little more since to spend a few bucks more and get the Tundra? I like the Taco but the Tundra is a beast and is closer to the size of the F150.

It's also about 2 seconds quicker in 0-60. That 5.7 will move.

GravelyGuy
06-06-2009, 10:03 PM
It's also about 2 seconds quicker in 0-60. That 5.7 will move.

Sure does, just keeps getting stronger too. I finally just took the 200 gallon sprayer out of mine a week or so ago and I had to take it for a much needed drive, whoa fun vehicle to drive:dancing:

lyube
06-08-2009, 05:00 PM

For 17500 would you spend several k more and get a tundra?

he was needing better gas mileage...the Taco fit him perfectly.

rthomas
08-15-2009, 06:11 PM

Wow your a dumas* japan makes them not china. If you are going to try and put something down make sure you have your facts right before you make a fool out of yourself.

poolboy
08-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Wow your a dumas* japan makes them not china. If you are going to try and put something down make sure you have your facts right before you make a fool out of yourself.

Bud, you're going to wish you had that back. He was talking about the STEEL used to manufacture the fame, not the actual location of the corporation.

coobie
08-15-2009, 09:56 PM
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/investigative/19294250/detail.htmlI had a 1987 toyota pickup that did the same thing:hammerhead:

GravelyNut
11-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Another recall on the Toyotas.Story. (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/24/toyota-extends-tundra-rust-recall-to-include-2000-03-models-tot/?icid=main|main|dl4|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autoblog.com%2F2009%2F11%2F24%2Ftoyota-extends-tundra-rust-recall-to-include-2000-03-models-tot%2F) 110,000 more.

Jhill19
11-25-2009, 11:30 PM
The frames may be made by the same plant but what happens to them after they are made makes a difference. How does Toyota chemically prep the frames, how do they coat them, and when do the frame sections get welded together?

Dont know if this has been brought up before, but you all can rant and rave all you want about the frames, but Dana is the manufacture of the frames. I own a 02 tacoma and a 01 tundra, have had very good experience with them, very tough trucks and can handle a lot of abuse.

GravelyNut
11-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Dont know if this has been brought up before, but you all can rant and rave all you want about the frames, but Dana is the manufacture of the frames. I own a 02 tacoma and a 01 tundra, have had very good experience with them, very tough trucks and can handle a lot of abuse.
If Ford And GM also buy the frames from them, it has to be a Toyota problem. What did Toyota spec for the steel? What treatment does Toyota spec for frame once stamped? How does Toyota prep the frames for assembly? How do they treat them after assembly? Or maybe the frame and crossmember are under designed and causing flexing. Excess flexing can cause failure due to rusting. The same salt used on the roads in the NE should cause all the other makes to have problems if it was just a Dana problem.

Chevy had a problem with their tailgate straps rusting thru. They changed them to a different Stainless steel. Ford had problems with tires on their Exploders and blamed Firestone. But in the end, test results showed the Firestones held up better than the other makes on them. But Ford didn't accept blame and sued Firestone. Wouldn't surprise me if Toyota tries the same tactic and blames Dana.

MileHigh
11-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Funny...

Anyone who argues that Toyota makes a beefy truck is out of there mind and most likely born in another galaxy.

Those frames are very weak, and bend very easily...the truck beds are barely on the truck, and move around like crazy over bumps.

I don't care...I hope all the LCO's around the metro area buy these...cause they'll all be out of a bunch of work if they do.

GravelyGuy
11-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Funny...

Anyone who argues that Toyota makes a beefy truck is out of there mind and most likely born in another galaxy.

Those frames are very weak, and bend very easily...the truck beds are barely on the truck, and move around like crazy over bumps.

I don't care...I hope all the LCO's around the metro area buy these...cause they'll all be out of a bunch of work if they do.

How many frames have you personally seen damaged and what was the cause?

Hoy landscaping
11-27-2009, 09:42 PM
buy AMERICAN

Jhill19
11-30-2009, 02:47 PM
I think toyota is a great company that stands behind there product. If they didn't care, they wouldn't recall these vehicles like they do and buy them back at 150% of the book value. The toyota dealer just undercoated and rustproofed my tacoma back in august for free because it passed the rust test. I still got something out of taking my truck in to get tested. I also bent the frame on my tundra due to an accident. The truck wasn't totaled but it should have been. It was all able to be fixed and straightened out, but it was a very severe impact. How many other manufactures would buy back a vehicle they produced at a value of 150% of what its worth?