PDA

View Full Version : What kind of power will I be able to expect?

Setiferum
05-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Hi,

I'm looking at getting an Isuzu Elf or Mitsubishi Canter (imported right-hand drive from Japan) dump truck for my business. The size I'm looking at is 2-ton. They usually come with a 3.6 to 4.3 litre 4 cylinder diesel engine, which I think equals about about 220 and 265 cubic inches respectively (I'm in Canada). When I say a 2-ton, it's because they are advertised as "Being rated to 2000 Kgs." Which I'm assuming means both the springs and the Hydraulics.

My question is, how do those engine sizes translate into performance? Would I be able to pull a trailer with a small (S130 or so) bobcat? Would I still be able to carry some payload like topsoil or even gravel?

Here's a pic of one, I hope it loads.
http://www.vicustomcarimports.com/assets/images/stock/Stk%23464/%23464.jpg

Anyway, what do you all think?

salopez
05-03-2009, 09:29 AM
do these machines fill saftey requirements in canada?

if they do I would think they should pull a small ss just fine. I used to drive a 2 ton toyota while in japan and they have plenty of power do to gearing...

also will you be able to find parts?

Gravel Rat
05-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't know where in Canada your from but I heard that in Eastern Canada they are trying to ban right hand drive vehicals.

Myself if you want a cabover buy one in North America.

Setiferum
05-03-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm In B.C., as far WEST as you can get and there are quite a few dealers of these trucks around. The same people also sell some Japanese land rovers and mini trucks as well as the ever popular Mitsubishi Delica. The point being that there are plenty of RHD vehicles in these parts, so if they did ban them, they'd probably have to grandfather the ones that are already here.

Gravel Rat
05-03-2009, 08:51 PM
If you can get todays Province paper it has a artical in it about RHD vehicals I just glanced at it but it says something about banning RHD vehicals.

Setiferum
05-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Ah, I didn't see that you're from B.C. too. Ok, I'll look for today's province. Thanks for the tip.

Setiferum
05-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Ok, I read the article. Sounds bad, I'd hate to buy one of these things only to have it made illegal. Any suggestions on where to get a good small sized dump truck here in BC?

Gravel Rat
05-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Start checking the buy and sell or the commercial truck trader etc.

Here is a ex 1-800 I got junk truck

www.righttrucks.com/productpage.asp?category=6&subcategory=31&product=940&selimage=5348#title

Setiferum
05-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Yowza! they want $29,000 (Canadian) for that 1-800-Got-Junk truck. The RHDs run between $10,000 and $14,000. I also like them better because they're standard trans and the box is a little better suited to my needs. I looked on some RHD oweners forums and it looks like the Gov has been posturing against RHDs for a couple of years now.

I'll researching into how credible the threat of a ban is.

johnnybravo8802
05-24-2009, 10:11 AM
I had an 01' Isuzu with an 11,000 GVW and it had a 4 cylinder rated at 170 HP. It hauled my 72" Exmark and a 36" WB with ease. It was so quiet, I could barely hear it running. Isuzu is a fantastic truck.

GravelyNut
05-24-2009, 01:37 PM
If you can get todays Province paper it has a artical in it about RHD vehicals I just glanced at it but it says something about banning RHD vehicals.
What's their excuse? If the driver of a RHD vehicle does like we used to, you put the vehicle close to the edge of the road and let everyone else have the rest of the road. Same thing work with LHD vehicles in RHD counties. Or is it a passing problem?

Gravel Rat
05-24-2009, 01:49 PM
I don't know but it is a safety issue I can't remember what it is. Anyhow in Quebec its already started and it will be nationwide(Canada). No vehical will be grandfathered either if you own a RHD vehical tough luck. It will have to be converted to LHD.

tomo
05-24-2009, 05:47 PM
hi ,
Pick the larger engine 4.3. Operated a 3.0 similar mitsubishi/Isuzu
NO POWER
Remember 2 ton is not very much once a steel tipper body is installed
Typically the only difference between 2-3-4 ton can possibly be only the rear springs

Eg Factory delivered trucks to USA etc may be slightly different to trucks that r independantly imported when comparing the same year of make . Typically the japanese trucks for there local market have many options and improvements not seen till 3-5 years later in other countries .

Parts sourcing can be a challenge as a result .

The best small trucks although a little more expensive when talking japanese is Hino a step above Mitsubishi and Isuzu

tomo:waving: