PDA

View Full Version : New truck option

Chilehead
05-02-2009, 11:43 PM
I'm just about ready to make a truck purchase, but wanted some feedback. I will most likely be getting a full-size pickup, but have considered purchasing one with a flatbed instead of a standard matching bed. I like the idea of the stake body. Most of my work is comprised of grounds care with several $5K--$9K landscaping/irrigation jobs a year. Pro/cons, comments? Thanks!

Greybeard
05-07-2009, 09:28 PM
We put a flatbed on a 1-ton Chevy years ago, and it was a very handy rig. You can load pallets, lumber, etc. from the side, you can install a pair of toolboxes along the sides, etc. If you want a single-wheel truck, the easiest thing to do is just buy a pickup, remove the pickup bed and install the flatbed. If you plan to keep the truck forever, sell the pickup body for $1000-$1500. If you plan to trade it some day, stash the bed and reinstall it when you trade. Most of the pickup frames these days are flat, so installing bodies is easier.

TandM
05-08-2009, 08:11 PM
You can definately customize a flatbed to your needs maybe a small dump? stake sides are nice as well. IT all depends on what you are going to use it for. mainly

hchase86
06-17-2009, 08:46 PM
if you are going to purchase a truck, i would recommend purchasing one of the old uhaul trucks. they sell out thier old rental equipment for pretty cheap and relatively good condition!

93Chevy
06-17-2009, 09:01 PM
I had an idea the other day that I haven't shared yet.

1 or 1 1/2 ton truck, crew cab dually, with 8-10 foot custom utility body. Dump insert. The tool boxes would range in size large enough to fit long rakes, etc, maybe large enough for a BP blower, or at least a handheld, and a trimmer or stick edger. Not saying it would be cheap, but maybe practical. I don't know, I'm still drawing plans in my spare time, lol.