PDA

View Full Version : New or used?

lantz
03-29-2002, 05:33 PM
I am just starting and actually going in with a partner. I am confused on what to get. I know that I want either an ExMark or Bunton 52 hydro walk-behinds. However, I dont know whether to buy new or used. I am afraid that I could be buying someone elses problem. I really don't have alot of startup capital. However, we do have $14,000.00 monthly in accounts. Any suggestions? Is it worth taking a chance with a used mower?Need Help! If buying used what should I look for if the hours are not kept?

stslawncare
03-29-2002, 06:10 PM
ur concern abuot buying used is completelu understandable. i personally would go for the exmark, look it over urself for anything obvious, run it, see how it does.

cantoo
03-29-2002, 06:53 PM
My thoughts on this would be especially if I was short capital then for sure I would go new because you can't afford any quick expensive repairs that it might need. For your front line mower I would make payments on it if you have to, can't afford a breakdown customers don't care about your money problems.

Currier
03-29-2002, 07:07 PM
If I had 14,000.00/month in accounts lined up I'd get to the dealer and do one of the 6 month 0 interest finance options.

Maybe start off with something used that could later be a back up but there is nothing like new and nice. It runs great, looks great, performs great. Pretty soon the 14000 start to grow, the new machine can respond to the extra work, the used may struggle.

chargincharlie5
03-29-2002, 07:56 PM
i bought a used bunton with a brand new motor on it used it one week and the transmission broke i went and bought a new mower so if i were you i would not buy someone elses junk buy new you'll now what ya got and it reliable i could have taken the money i used for the used mower and put it to the new one i guess its live and learn so learn from my mistake it will be cheeper for ya ive allready paid for the lesson so you dont have to

Evan528
03-29-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Currier
If I had 14,000.00/month in accounts lined up I'd get to the dealer and do one of the 6 month 0 interest finance options.

14,000 dollars a month gross is not that amazing when you considser half the net has to go to his parter....plus expenses.
Bottom line.....2 people have to live off this income, I can understand his wanting to save money.

Darryl G
03-30-2002, 02:26 AM
I'm wondering how in the world you can get $14,000 per month in accounts without having a mower. Good marketing?

65hoss
03-30-2002, 12:06 PM
If you want to keep those accounts you need to buy new. You don't have time for downtime. Exmark quaility is awesome and the customer service can't be beat by anyone in the industry. Exmark mowers have one of the top cuts in the industry.

lantz
03-30-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by darryl gesner
I'm wondering how in the world you can get $14,000 per month in accounts without having a mower. Good marketing?

You are not the first person that has said that. I was previously in sales the last seven years. I actually went through the yellow pages and CONTACTED( meaning actually speaking to the Decision Maker), 347 businesses, 72 apartment management companies and went door to door. It's all in the numbers and I wanted to make sure and have the accounts before I invested my money and career.

Darryl G
03-30-2002, 08:46 PM
Sounds like you know what you're doing Lantz. I'm from the "build and they will come school".

visions landscape
03-30-2002, 08:54 PM
I would go new " You Cant take Chicken %$#^ equip. to make chicken salad yards"

nu83
03-30-2002, 09:19 PM
if you have 14,000 in accounts monthly set up already then I would suggest buying new. However, you can find good used equipment. The most reliable mower I've ever had I bought used. They are aot like cars some good ones some bad ones.

Currier
03-30-2002, 09:39 PM
14,000 dollars a month gross is not that amazing when you considser half the net has to go to his parter....plus expenses.

I beg to differ. It is VERY amazing. This gentleman is just starting out and he already has 14000.00 per month lined up. That is huge! It takes most folks several years to get those kind of marketing results. It definately takes some serious blood, sweat, tears and quality work. He has done this without even starting a non existent mower! :)

Lantz, awesome job so far. If you are able to take these accounts and run with them, you are going to be doing REAL well in this business. You do quality work and these 14000 in accounts are going to start referring others. Good luck on your purchase decision and get ready for an awesome season!

johnhenry
03-30-2002, 11:50 PM
I wouldnt buy anything such as a wb or ztr used.Too many hidden things could be wrong. Plus you have the warranty issue to deal with also.If your choice is between the two that you stated .Go with exmark the cutting quality alone will speak for itself