PDA

View Full Version : News about water restrictions

jeffyr
03-29-2002, 07:49 PM
Well, I was getting concerned about the situation with the water restrictions. I mean......having all of this free time this summer on account of no watering the grass = no growing= no cutting, if there is no rain. Having all of this free time I was hoping to be able to play tennis on a clay court all summer long.....but what if the court can't be watered and I can't play on it because of the water restricions.... Ohhh. Thank GOD that the water restrictions allow for the watering of clay tennis courts DAILY !!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS !

The following is from the DEP Adminastrative order 2002-5 on water restrictions this summer :

C. Watering of clay tennis courts is permitted, using sprinklers or hand-held watering devices, provided that watering occurs for no more than 10 minutes per day, between 8:00 P.M. and 6:00 A.M. and/or between 12:00 noon and 3:00 P.M.

Can't water the grass, but a clay field is okay !

:eek: jeffyr:eek:

ohiolawnguy
03-29-2002, 08:09 PM
will a golf course without its own supply of water (IE: lake or pond) be allowed to water? not necessarly the entire course, but mainly some fairways, and especially putting greens?

just wondering, kevin

rodfather
03-29-2002, 08:25 PM
Sorry...but if I remember right, we all drink from the same trough. Can't understand how someone will allow watering of tennis courts when there is a drought in effect.

Hello...guess I'm missin' something somewhere.

rodfather
03-29-2002, 08:29 PM
Then again...i never thought the DEP was the brightest crayon in the box, sharpest tool in the shed, had an elevator that went up to the top floor, and so on...

SCAPEASAURUSREX
03-29-2002, 09:46 PM
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL .............

ohiolawnguy
03-29-2002, 10:17 PM
so, what your saying is that the DEP is a few fries short of a happy meal. :)

rodfather
03-29-2002, 10:34 PM
Kind of like a few bricks short of a full load

Soupy
03-31-2002, 04:15 AM
Not the sharpest knife in the draw :)

Soupy

point
03-31-2002, 02:57 PM
The gallon's used to water all the clay tennis courts for 10 minutes a day is
statistically insignificant compared to watering millions of square feet of turf for hours.

jeffyr
03-31-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by point
The gallon's used to water all the clay tennis courts for 10 minutes a day is
statistically insignificant compared to watering millions of square feet of turf for hours.

But is it necessary and is it good use of water during a restricted time ? The grass in my backyard is smaller than a tennis court and I think that 70 minutes of water per week (10 minutes per day over the course of a week) would keep it growing well throughout the dryest times around here.
I didn't mention this in the original post, but emergency vehicle (firetrucks, ambulance) can be washed (I am pretty sure without exception). Now I realize that there must be a level of cleanliness with an emergency vehicle, but again, this is called a restriction because of a water shortage. Is it necessary that the truck shine when it pulls up to a burning building ?
1 good suggestion the DEP had was for the repair of a pool that needs to be partially drained--call the local fire department or DPW and see if they can use the water in a truck or tank for municipal use.

BTW Point : you wouldn't be a tennis advocate, would you ? :eek:
JK

jeffyr

point
03-31-2002, 03:57 PM
Jeffyr,

No, I have nothing to do with tennis or courts.
I was just trying to show that some activities have almost no effect on the amount of water used.
Tennis and Emergency vehicle washing probably account for .001% of the total water used
Watering lawns account for 25 to 40 % of the water used here in Minnesota during the summer.

You make a good point about the size of yards to the size of tennis courts however
There must be a 10,000 to 1 difference between the number lawns to the number of CLAY tennis courts
I personally have never seen a clay court,only asphalt. (how do you keep the clay groomed??)

Mark

jeffyr
03-31-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by point

I personally have never seen a clay court,only asphalt. (how do you keep the clay groomed??)

Mark

I think they rake it and then go over with a roller to smooth. I am not sure where the water fits in, but I think it keeps it soft and dust free.

We seem to have this type of restriction each year (9 out of 10 anyway). I wonder how a prevention program would work instead of an emergency plan. For instance, the DEP could suggest only watering of lawns during the hours when there is less evaporation and limit the time to X minutes per week. Or limit car washing to X times per month, etc. I don't know where the most recreational water useage takes place, but apply the preventative to a big user and we may not see this mandatory restriction each year. On the other hand if the big user is lawn watering we would be in for trouble !:rolleyes:

My original point with this thread was to say how ridiculous it sounds that there is a rule that daily watering of a clay court is "okay" during a time when there are mandatory water restrictions that effect everybody. Next thing you know we will be asked to fush once for every 2 pee breaks, but the guy with a clay court will still be sprinkling away !
:D

jeffyr

SCAPEASAURUSREX
04-02-2002, 11:09 AM
I think the biggest problem with these restrictions is that they are NOT being Spread evenly accross the board.. The state does not view the Green industry as an industry ... According to what has been stated the water restrictions are based on businesses who s use of water is for their livleyhood.. Carwashes are allowed without any restrictions to continue to operate as normal. yes some of the newer car washes recycle water, but not all of it... Pool companies can still fill new pools to capacity, Companies that do pressure washing and car detailing and so n and so fourth are allowed to continue to use water... We.. the Green industry rely on water as well for our livleyhood.. Why are we left out ???? whats the deal with this ? It's because we are not considered a professional industry and unfortunatly for good reason.... Our industry in NJ alone accounts for over 8 billion dollars a year... Possibly more.... With over 200,000. People in employment within that industry.. Pretty serious ............
If you go to njdrought.org, you can get a form to claim for a waiver for hardship, to allow you to use water.. I think we should all take the time to fill this out along with writing our congressmen and local pliticians to let them know we are out there and we matter... We are not ( to quote an industry leader ) billy bob and a pickup truck !!!!

tailoredlook
04-02-2002, 12:28 PM
Check with your local DEP. Here in PA we are also under drought restrictions. But we are allowed to file for an exemption because of our line of work. When I find out how, I'll get back to you all.

Scraper
04-02-2002, 01:07 PM
First of all...do you realize how much $$$ a clay court costs? If one were to completely dry out I don't believe it could ever be brought back.

As for exemptions here in PA...they are only for establishing newly seeded or sodded lawns and landscape installs.

jeffyr
04-02-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by SCAPEASAURUSREX
... We are not ( to quote an industry leader ) billy bob and a pickup truck !!!!

Speak for yourself Chis ! hehe.

I agree that the green industry is hit hard by this. But after speaking with one of my customers concerned about not being able to water the pre-m application I am not sure that changing the rules for those with landscapers will make much difference. I explained that they are allowed to water for 2 days following an application and they replied that they feel bad and don't want the neighbors or anyone else to think that they are abusing water use.
I am afraid that I may agree that if there are water restrictions in place that a green lawn is not the best use of water. If in fact we are in a state of emergency and people are allowed to water I don't believe they will for the same reasons that this particular customer explained. They will not want to appear to be selfish and uncaring to the situation at hand.

Billy bob....I mean jeffyr

:dizzy:

landman
04-02-2002, 09:42 PM
For all the members here that are in NJ I would urge you to contact the NJLCA regarding the water restrictions. I attended a meeting last night and this topic was discussed and as Chris James has said we all need to join together and write to our government leaders and protest. If anybody needs more information about this or interested in what the NJLCA is doing in the day to day fight on this topic please feel free to email me. I will try to post more info every night when I have time. As for now any info on drought restrictions can be found at www.njdrought.org

LJ lawn
04-02-2002, 10:14 PM
wait till they tell you that you can only flush yor toilet so many times per day.

Soupy
04-03-2002, 01:11 AM
Jeffyr, I don't know much about this Drought restriction thing. (we have plenty of water here in the St. Louis area. But if your right about people not watering their lawns because it would make them look bad, then whay are they washing their cars, buying new pools, and playing tennis. I think watering lawn is way more important then those things. You can always wash your car, But once your lawn starts to die then you have alot of work on your hands. I guess you guys can make up for lost money repairing them :)

Soupy

SCAPEASAURUSREX
04-03-2002, 07:54 AM
The biggest issue IMO with this whole thing is that the regulations are not fairly spread over the water users. It seems only the GREEN industry is being heavily regulated, when most others who also rely on water to make a living are not being regulated. There are so many other water users that use even more than us.. The big industry companies that use large quantities of water in manufacturing processes, car washes , Pools , etc, etc,..............................
The regs are not fair in this aspect and we are the ones getting the shallow end of the resivoir !
And what about this 4 foot by 4 foot sign you have to have made and placed on each installation job ... Tha't s alot of money , why dont pool companies have to do that or car washes ??? Just us.. That is rediculous.... That s a couple of hundred dollars I dont have to throw away.... Do you ???
Like Landman said, Contact the NJLCA @ www.njlca.org for more info and what you can do to help and get involved to make regulations more fair for us , maybe not this year , but in the future..
Also what about our water companies that cant account for 120,000 gallons of water a day , That salot of water ?? why arent they being held responsible or liable for that inefficeincy or leakage , where we are being held resposible for the worlds water problems...
With all the developement , especially up here in the north end of the state, why have they not made improvements to the water system and increase it s holding capacity... That is our real problem.. Just think if they fixed those leaks and added to their capacity,, We would not be in such a dire situation right now...