PDA

View Full Version : Employee Problems

LawnNeedz
05-04-2009, 07:53 PM
I have had a new employee for about a month now. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and hired him even though his references told me otherwise.

He's a hard worker but today he did not show up at all at our usual meeting place. I waited for 20 minutes and finally left. We usually meet at 8am and I receive a text message from him at 11am asking if we were suppose to meet or am I letting things dry out. I texted him back telling him that he knows the answer to that question. Obviously he slept in or something, because I always notify him before 7am if plans have changed. I have waited all day for a phone call from him explaining his tardiness and the reason that he texted (not called) me 3 hours later.

This is the first time not showing up at all but the second week of work he was a half hour late without calling (I had to call to find out if he was coming) and 10 minutes late that same week. After these ocurrences I told him that if it happened again he would be looking for a job.

So here we are. I am pretty sure that I am going to fire him but I wanted to get some other opinions before I do so. Am I expecting to much?

I all ready have someone else lined up to take his place if I do get rid of him so I am not stuck with no help.

Any thoughts or opinions on the situation would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TXNSLighting
05-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Get him gone. Its not worth having someone like that. Especially when there is alot of people needing work right now.

Fvstringpicker
05-04-2009, 08:30 PM
my experience is that it not the ones you fire that continues to causes problems. Its the ones you don't.

Toy2
05-04-2009, 09:48 PM
What is your policy? If you fire him and he claims unemployment he will win........just 02....

LawnNeedz
05-04-2009, 10:47 PM
My policy is the first 30 days are a trial basis. If you are late twice within the first month that is means enough for termination. This is laid out in our employee handbook.

Toy2
05-04-2009, 10:52 PM
My policy is the first 30 days are a trial basis. If you are late twice within the first month that is means enough for termination. This is laid out in our employee handbook.

Perfect.............bye-bye.........

PROCUT1
05-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Can him

There are a 1000 where he came from

LouisianaLawnboy
05-04-2009, 11:18 PM
You can fire him now, or fire him later.

bohiaa
05-05-2009, 09:10 AM
I had a guy once that it seemed like he was testing me.

testing to see how much CRAP I would put up with...

the guys know, The trucks ROLL at 8:00 AM.

Be here at 7:30

If your NOT on a truck, you wont work.

dwlah
05-07-2009, 08:27 AM
This is the first time not showing up at all but the second week of work he was a half hour late without calling (I had to call to find out if he was coming) and 10 minutes late that same week. After these ocurrences I told him that if it happened again he would be looking for a job.

Follow thru with your policy
Nothing irritates me worse than the help not showing up(well maybe inflamed hemmoroids)

Doug1966
05-07-2009, 10:08 AM
"I gave him the benefit of the doubt and hired him even though his references told me otherwise"

-why bother doing references then if you aren't going to listen to their recommendations?

bohiaa
05-07-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm confussed,,,,

why have an employee handbook, and a 30 day trial period If your NOT going to follow the rules your self.

nobagger
05-07-2009, 07:59 PM
I did the same thing, I hired a guy even though some references said hell no. This guy comes with mowing experience but an attitude to boot. I was hours away from firing him but the next day he was fine and has been ok since. I just started being a jerk boss and so far so good. They got the picture when I said the next arshole who puts mulch to the top of my nice clean edges will come back on his own time and do the entire bed over or I'll take the amount of time it takes for another guy to do it out of your check. No problems since.

LawnNeedz
05-07-2009, 09:47 PM
I got rid of him on Tuesday. He obviously knew it was coming because he did not act surprise at all.

Toy2
05-07-2009, 10:04 PM
I got rid of him on Tuesday. He obviously knew it was coming because he did not act surprise at all.

Great job.......:usflag: