PDA

View Full Version : Road Fabric under Paver's?

4 seasons lawn&land
05-04-2009, 08:30 PM
I encountered some major clay at the bottom of my base. Was just wondering if road fabric could potentialy help more than the regular stuff.

DVS Hardscaper
05-04-2009, 08:56 PM
geo-textile fabric is the proper term.

and yep, it should be used ALL the time, regardless of soil type.

AllHardscaping
05-04-2009, 09:32 PM
It'll keep the clay and gravel seperate. Over time the two will mix without the geo and lead to a less solid base. definitly use it on every job and tell your customer you are. They'll like that you are looking out for their long term.

soopa
05-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Road Fabric, Geo Textile, Landscape Fabric... these are all generic terms that apply to a multitude of products. Not all of these products are created equal.

As I said in a recent thread, most everyone here seems to be using Mirafi's 500X series. This is sold as all of the above terms depending on the supplier but most importantly... it's not a true stabilization & reinforcement fabric! It's only rated for stabilization of GOOD sub-grades. IOW, not clay.

So, to answer 4 Seasons question... if you're talking about Mirafi's HP series (which is or is equivalent to what is used in most new roadway construction), then yes, it will outperform Mirafi's X series over unstable soil.

4 seasons lawn&land
05-05-2009, 10:37 AM
thanks that answer's my question!

DVS Hardscaper
05-05-2009, 06:16 PM
soopa - when I see things improperly labeled, I view it as a professionalism thing. Personally, I don't care what anyone calls anything :)

But, when you write a contract it's important to use the correct names, terminalogy, etc. This way there is no dispute at to what was intended :)

4 seasons lawn&land
05-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Also, alot of those products called "landscape fabric" are 100% regular old 10 year weed block. The standard Mirafis 500 X is far better and beyond some "landscape fabrics". I consider the "seperation fabric for use under walkway's, patio's and driveway's" from Home Depot, just plain false advertising. The stuff was identicle to the 10 weed fabric I had for another job. I compared side by side.

Bru75
05-05-2009, 11:47 PM
I agree with 4 seasons. I was in a local hardware store recently to buy weedblock and one of the rolls was labeled with a long list of uses one of which was "patio underlayment". I just looked at it and shook my head ruefully.
I wouldn't use the H Depot stuff, and I believe Mirafi 500x is fine for most patio/walkway jobs. I don't do driveways, but if I did I would use the heavier DOT stuff.

soopa
05-06-2009, 08:00 AM
I agree with 4 seasons. I was in a local hardware store recently to buy weedblock and one of the rolls was labeled with a long list of uses one of which was "patio underlayment". I just looked at it and shook my head ruefully.
I wouldn't use the H Depot stuff, and I believe Mirafi 500x is fine for most patio/walkway jobs. I don't do driveways, but if I did I would use the heavier DOT stuff.

I agree with you completely. The "patio underlayment" at HD/Lowes is a joke... an expensive joke too!

As for Mirafi's X-series, I agree as well. For typical work it's certainly sufficient. I just find humor in some on here who are so sold on Tencate's marketing & trademarks that they don't even stop to research what they're actually using all while acting as if they know better.

Geo Textile, Landscape Fabric, Weed Barrier, Road Underlayment... it doesn't matter! All that matters are the materials & specifications, not semantics.

There's woven polypropylene products by Fabriscape sold plainly as "Landscape Fabric" and by DeWitt sold as "Pro Weed Barrier" that are comparable in material, look, feel, weight, and design to X-series "Geo Textile" that meet and/or exceed ASTM specifications of Mirafi 500X and retail for $0.08 - $0.10 ft2 versus $0.15 - $0.17 ft/2 for Mirafi. All of these products have been used locally as paver underlayment on engineer stamped municipal projects.

Gr8WhiteNorth
05-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Supplier Contact Info:

Where do you guys order your mirafi products from?

Any other good supply sources of commodities like edge restraints, spikes, adhesive, polymeric sand, lawn edging, stone products- natural and precast, etc?