PDA

View Full Version : New to Lawn Care

DavidMowsAlot
05-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Hello. Nice site. My name is David. I'm a 19yo starting my own lawn care business. I have purchased the best zero turn mower I could afford. I have a business name and am today purchasing shirts, caps, and business cards. I purchased Sean's lawn care ebook, and it was a great help. I have 3 lawns to date. I went to purchase my shirts, and picked up a lawn from the owner. I have always enjoyed mowing, and I need a job, so it seems like a good fit for me.

I have run into some who don't take me seriously because I am too young, but I am determined.

On my first lawn mowing job, I had a customer complain that my blades needed sharpening. I have a lot to learn, but I'm ready.

DoWhatYouDo91
05-05-2009, 02:14 PM
so what equipment you starting out with?

DavidMowsAlot
05-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Well I just bought a Bad Boy 26 Horse 50 " cut mower and I use a new Homelite 25cc weed-eater and also I have a Homelite Blower. I got a good deal on the mower because there was a factory defect in the transmission that Bad Boy had to replace so the dealer gave us a deal on it along with the 6 months left on the factory warranty. It is only about 6 months old and in mint condition.

BurrKing
05-05-2009, 10:49 PM
David, Good Luck to You! There's a lot of information here on the website, and many people that can answer questions and give advise.

My two cents on sharpening. Sharpen every 8 hours depending on the kinds of lawns that you're mowing. Sandy soil, rocks, trash all take a toll on blades, and your blades can dull very quick. I trashed my blades in two hours the first time I cut my grass this year. We have a real problem at my house with moles this year and I cut more dirt and sand then grass.

With a little time, you will be able to tell just by looking at the cut grass blades and see if the blades need a touch-up. Keeping blades sharp will help the grass stay healthy and green grass equals green cash in your pocket.

Take care, and the best of luck to you.

DavidMowsAlot
05-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Just curious. You guys that have been doing this for a while, if you had to start over again knowing what you do now, what would you make sure to do. (with limited funds)

DavidMowsAlot
05-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I had a lady ask me to do her weekly lawn care. It was one of my first jobs. I was kinda excited. I figured expenses and gave her a fair quote of 40.00. She acted shocked and said she thought I should be able to do it for 15.00?! I said that I was sorry but I could not get my mower there and do the work for 15.00. Is this what I can be expecting? Is it because I am 19yo? Or is this common?