PDA

View Full Version : Do you rotate your trailer tires?

Right Touch
05-05-2009, 06:16 PM
I was just wondering if anyone ever rotates their trailer tires on dual axle trailers. Ours are wearing unevenly and I keep getting the round around about why they are wearing unevenly- they are two 3500lb axles on a 8x20 enclosed trailer hauling a 52" exmark zero turn, 48" exmark walk behind, and a 36" bobcat walk behind, plus the basic weed whackers and blowers and hand tools. So the general feeling is that im not carrying that much weight but yet my tires wear very quickly and unevenly. Suggestions? rotate tires ok or no good?

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-05-2009, 06:47 PM
I rotate mine. the axle with brakes on it sees more wear and tear on mine, so I'll swap the front and back every so often.

Ruben Rocha
05-05-2009, 09:08 PM
With a dual axle you could rotate. But if you have excessive wear I would look into a bent axle or axle alignment with the frame.
I have a single axle but I was replacing tires every year. Since I replaced my Axle and upgraded my springs two years ago and the tires are still fine.

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I have a dual axle and the rear tires wear faster because they slide when making turns.....

nosparkplugs
05-05-2009, 11:32 PM
My trailer tires are nail or screw magnets, so I end up patching them, and with the loads I carry the tread never lasts longer than two seasons so I rotate out two new tires on each axles each season. Also my rear axles wear tires out quicker than the front axles do. So no rotating for me. Also a leaking tire that gets low during the day(more friction=more heat=blow-out) and has happned to me on three occasions, so keeping trailer tires sealed is more important vs Rotating them.

Petr51488
05-06-2009, 12:15 AM
My trailer tires are nail or screw magnets.

Yours too? lol One suggested which you prob allready do. Don't use plugs, but the best that i've found to use is the patch/plug. Its 2 in 1 which work great. I had plug in my enclosed for the longest time. It was borderline on the sidewall/top of the tire. One hot day i was on the highway driving it, which i normally don't do, and the sucker slid out from the heat. Ever since then i use the patch/plugs especially on the dump trailer where the weight is atleast 4x the enclosed when loaded

SiteSolutions
05-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Mine used to wear uneven worse than they do now. When the back was worn out more than the front, I would rotate them. Maybe it's just because things are so s l o w this winter but I haven't had to rotate them in six months.

SiteSolutions
05-06-2009, 10:26 AM
My trailer tires are nail or screw magnets, so I end up patching them, and with the loads I carry the tread never lasts longer than two seasons so I rotate out two new tires on each axles each season. Also my rear axles wear tires out quicker than the front axles do. So no rotating for me. Also a leaking tire that gets low during the day(more friction=more heat=blow-out) and has happned to me on three occasions, so keeping trailer tires sealed is more important vs Rotating them.

I have had blowouts too, always have had to put air in at least one tire every morning, and finally got sick of it and bought a gallon of green slime and slimed all four trailer tires. These are E range with 80 psi in them, but when I slimed them, I put about 40 psi in them and took them for a short drive to sling that stuff around inside and get to all the holes. I left them at 40 psi overnight, to let it all stiffen up, and put 80 psi in them the next day. Haven't had to put any air in a trailer tire since then. I am very pleased. The gallon jug of slime cost me about 40 bucks at an auto parts store, but I just saw it for under 30 bucks at Walmart last week.

Jay Walls
05-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Trailer tire tread will usually outlast the life of the tire. The tire will normally rot or blowout first. If you have unusual wear #1 problem is inflation. #2 is overweight. #3 is a suspension problem. Tandem axles with just one set of brakes (illegal in the north east) will cause wearing.

SiteSolutions
05-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Trailer tire tread will usually outlast the life of the tire. The tire will normally rot or blowout first. If you have unusual wear #1 problem is inflation. #2 is overweight. #3 is a suspension problem. Tandem axles with just one set of brakes (illegal in the north east) will cause wearing.

You may be on to something.

I doubt I will ever dry rot a tire. Blowouts, had a few, but hopefully the slime will keep the air in them and that will be a bad memory.

How loaded are your tires compared to their capacity?

I have tires rated at 2880 lbs at 80 psi. I probably have 2300 - 2500 lbs or so on each. Not overloaded, but definitely asked to work for a living. I will be very happy if the slime keeps them inflated and the proper inflation lets them last a whole year.

I did put a set of brakes on the front axle last year, which might be helping them wear more evenly, but then again, lack of work is also great for tire longevity. Besides, the brakes on either axle won't stay adjusted so it's almost like having no brakes as far as wear goes. And if you're towing an empty trailer, the front axles have nearly zero load on them and lock up real easy, which will flat spot a tire quickly.

Having to make tight turns, running over coarse rock, nails, etc, all probably contribute to shortened life, but it's all part of the daily obstacle course.

It will be interesting to see if they blow out or wear out first.

Jay Walls
05-06-2009, 03:03 PM
"I did put a set of brakes on the front axle last year, which might be helping them wear more evenly, but then again, lack of work is also great for tire longevity.

LOL!:laugh:

" And if you're towing an empty trailer, the front axles have nearly zero load on them and lock up real easy, which will flat spot a tire quickly.

Your brake controler should handle that problem, no? You can set the braking so low that they don't engage when empty.

SiteSolutions
05-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Your brake controler should handle that problem, no? You can set the braking so low that they don't engage when empty.

Yeah, you can do that as soon as you remember to do it, which is usually after the first stop when it jerks and you see smoke rolling off the tires in your rear view mirror. :rolleyes:

tacoma200
05-24-2009, 12:55 AM
I rotate, and sometimes turn them around. I never get good wear from a dual axle trailer due to u turns, etc.