PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping 'Makeover' Quote (rocks)

Bossman
05-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey guys,

I'm starting to transition my lawn company to a lawn and landscape company. I've done several landscape beds before along with a good amount of mulch and some rock work. Not exactly new to the work, but am new to trying to bid it out.

The guy wants mulch removed and rock put in, around several existing plants/bushes. There's also some areas that need to be re-edged (black plastic...not brick) He also wants about a dozen gallon-sized holes in the yard (dog) filled in and seeded.

I took some rough measurements of the beds and it totals to about 1000 sf. (semi conservative est.) Theres about 1.5inches of mulch on 660 sf of the property that for the most part needs to be removed so the rock doesn't sit too high. There's not an obscene amount of plants and most are small so I don't think that will be too major of a problem.

The rock he wants (limestone) goes for about $24/ton at my supplier, and $95 (up to 20 tons) for delivery to the site. I'm going to spread it 3inches thick and am figuring 14 tons, anybody have differing opinions? All the beds are level, either in retaining walls or just on flat ground. I'm putting about $200 of nice thick fabric down before the rock as well.

I'll have 1-3 helpers working for $10/hr.

I'm figuring $100-$110 per ton for the rock installed? But I don't know how much extra I should charge for the mulch removal, no idea on time, although my dump site is about 15min away.

Any helps on the price of the rock/fabric installation, mulch removal/dumping, or filling/seeding holes would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Bossman
05-07-2009, 05:06 PM
*trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag*

I'm submitting the bid tomorrow and am currently thinking along these lines:

$250 for Cleaning out the beds and removing mulch
$100-$150 for disposal of 2-3 cu. yards of mulch.
$100 for 40-50 feet of edging.
$1500 for delivery and installation of 14 tons of weed fabric and rock.

Total: $2000

Sound about right?

mtg97
05-08-2009, 01:40 AM
I would cut out the disposal fee and use the mulch for my garden or a neighbors, or around newly planted trees, but hey if they want to spend that much on delivery, go for it, i dont know how your moving your limestone by teaspoon or by a 10 gallon bucket, thats what i use yes it very heavy, but three helpers is in my opinion out of control, i do all mine on my own, less pay out

Bossman
05-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Yeah I'll make sure to mention the option of just placing it elsewhere in the yard.

Dumping the limestone in the driveway/street and then wheel barrow to the house.

And when you said "hey if they want to spend that much on delivery, go for it" you were referring to the mulch disposal price, not the rock delivery, correct?

mtg97
05-08-2009, 11:15 AM
yes i was reffering to the mulch, just used the wrong word. I would cut them a little better deal on the disposal, your already making 250 for cleaning it out. Will your bid be at exactly $2000.00, What i do is make my price end in an non 0 dollars, like if it were $2000.00 I would do it for $1992.00, so your losing 8 dollars somewhere, but your bid or actual price stands out from most peoples bids. I do it all the time, and i think it catches their eye, and makes them think how the hell did he come up with that,and why not just 2000.

Bossman
05-08-2009, 02:58 PM
ha yeah I was thinking the same thing, I'm typing it up right now at $1995.

White Gardens
05-09-2009, 12:21 AM
What other supplies are you using????

A good edge will need to be placed to keep the rocks where they need to be.

Also, are you laying fabric. Under rock is the only time I suggest using landscape fabric.

Bossman
05-09-2009, 10:50 AM
A good edge will need to be placed to keep the rocks where they need to be.

Also, are you laying fabric. Under rock is the only time I suggest using landscape fabric.

Yes, there's existing pavers around most of the beds. But, some plastic edging (30-40ft) needs to be added to a new bed and some plastic edging (15ft) needs to be replaced. I charged $100

And yes as I mentioned in the first post I'm putting down some good fabric. Couldn't agree more on the fabric + rock combo.

GreenLight
05-09-2009, 11:42 AM
i dont know how your moving your limestone by teaspoon or by a 10 gallon bucket, thats what i use yes it very heavy, but three helpers is in my opinion out of control, i do all mine on my own, less pay out

You are using a 10 gallon bucket to move material?
Why not a wheelbarrow?

mtg97
05-09-2009, 09:19 PM
You are using a 10 gallon bucket to move material?
Why not a wheelbarrow?

Not always but if i have a mulch job or gravel job that is in a place where it would be more sensible to use a bucket, instead of shoveling it into a barrow, then re-shoveling it into the spot, Ie- beds are elevated off the ground by a wall or structure or any other obstacle, where pushing a barrow around it would be wasteful of time.

ParkviewNursery
05-11-2009, 01:44 PM
I would say anywhere from 2500$-2300$, you have to look at the fact that its alot of plants to cut around, and its fabric none the less. I would say make it worth your time.

Bossman
05-11-2009, 02:20 PM
I would say anywhere from 2500$-2300$, you have to look at the fact that its alot of plants to cut around, and its fabric none the less. I would say make it worth your time.

Thanks for the input, that's along what i was thinking too. I ended up submitting the bid for $1945 because I could use the work right now and didn't want to overbid it. Now I'm just crossing my fingers and waiting for a reply. I always worry people don't know what to expect for price and might be floored by it, but they said they had gotten a quote last year....

Bossman
05-29-2009, 12:35 AM
Just an update, I got the job. :cool2:

Starting tomorrow, also doing about 550sf of sod install for him too.:weightlifter:

Planning for 2 days of work, will let you guys know how it turns out.