PDA

View Full Version : 23HP Kawasaki Charging Problems

Mack77
05-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi All,

I have a Bobcat ZTR, 23HP/61" with a charging issue. The machine will not charge the battery under normal operation.

Serial #94222304518
Model #942234

Is there a troubleshoot somewhere online for the charging system? Some areas to check first, a possible schematic of the wiring system to narrow down the problem? Or some folks that have had this problem and are willing to share their own experiences with their Kawasaki Equipment not charging the battery...

Thanks!

MowerMedic77
05-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Read this earlier post it has some good test info from RR.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=263207&highlight=Kawasaki+Charging+Problems

Mack77
05-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks!

I've heard the regulators are more common to fail on these engines than the stator...how can I check the regulator to see if it is working properly? Any signs that are a dead giveaway?

MowerMedic77
05-07-2009, 08:00 PM
If the out put of the stator is within spec then the next thing to check is the regulator. The regulator(you can see it in the pic)has three posts the two that the stator plugs into and the third is the charge wire out, if that third post is not pushing 12volts(should be putting out more then 12volts) @ 3600 rpms then it has failed.

Mack77
05-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Ok...just tested my mower with the directions in this thread:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FH/KawFHStatorTest.jpg

I am getting NO voltage read out from the stator, NOTHING. I have another bobcat Z, and when I tested this clip on that mower, i got a voltage read-out. (that other one works great, no problems at all). This mower i'm having trouble with is just not charging the battery during normal operation.

I can charge up the battery the night before, and during my first lawn with the blades engaged, they will just stop after a while. I guess the electric PTO clutch draws from the battery, and if it's not charging, then it shuts down.

So what does this mean? A zero rating from the above instructions? Will i need a new stator? If so, is this an easy job to do by one's self?

Thanks!

Mack77
05-13-2009, 02:00 AM
Ok...

I just exposed the stator and attached some pictures of what I found. Underneath the flywheel, there was a heavy buildup of dust/debris. Could this cause the stator to keep from charging the battery and working properly? Before I go spend the money for a new one, i'd like to try to see if all it needs was a good clean-out.

Any thoughts? Pics attached......

MowerMedic77
05-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Ok you need to run 2 more tests on the wires from the stator.

1. You need to connect you ohmmeter between the two wires and test resistance and it should be 0.01 to 0.1 Ohms.

2. You also need to check for continuity between each stator pin and ground.
There should be no continuity or (infinite ohms)

If the stator fails either of these tests then you will need to replace the stator.

Mack77
05-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks!

I'll check that out later tonight and report back...

If I find that my machine fails one of these tests, can the stator be repaired or fixed, or would I need a whole new assembly?

MowerMedic77
05-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I have never attempted to fix one or have one fixed, but that is mostly for the reason that I am usually charging someone to put that item in and If a repaired one fails then I would be stuck eating the R/R of a new one and then have a very unhappy customer for the extra down time. I only like fixing things once....

Mack77
05-15-2009, 02:29 PM
MowerMedic...thanks you've been a great help! :)

A noob question, how do I use my tester and test this?

Last night I used the battery ground as a ground, and touched the positive lead of the tester to each "tip" of the stator. Is this what I should be doing? The tester had a few resistance testing choices to choose from, so i'm not really sure which one to use. The test showed .04 on all pins or "tips". Is that correct?

Also which wire are you referring to? "You need to connect you ohmmeter between the two wires and test resistance and it should be 0.01 to 0.1 Ohms."

Mack77
05-24-2009, 08:48 PM
*UPDATE*

Replaced the regulator, cleaned the entire stator assembly, magnets, and re-installed the flywheel.

I tested the wires coming FROM the stator TO the regulator and they're sitting at 13V at idle, 30v at full RPM. (the volt meter has a few settings, so i'm not sure which one to use.) Before I took off the flywheel, i was getting ZERO reading from the stator wires, now i'm getting a reading.

The mower will run, and run well. the blades will engage and disengage while the engine is running. However, as soon as you shut off the mower, and try to start it again, the battery isn't strong enough to get the engine to kick over.

I think MAYBE the stator IS working, but the battery is not receiving the charge. IS there any way to check this?

pugs
05-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Why did you replace the regulator? there was probably nothing wrong with your old one. If you had no voltage going in, you werent gonna get any out...

homer2
05-28-2009, 09:32 PM
My Kawasaki 29HP DFI is not charging either. Are the tests the same on my machine?
Thanks
Homer

jnmaricic
05-28-2009, 09:47 PM
check the fuse first thing

Mack77
05-28-2009, 10:12 PM
I had to get the machine running, I run a few of these engines; so an extra regulator on hand won't be a bad thing....

I'm getting voltage from the stator now. How can we check to make sure the battery is RECEIVING the charge? I'd like to learn how

jondcoleman
06-11-2009, 12:44 PM
If the out put of the stator is within spec then the next thing to check is the regulator. The regulator(you can see it in the pic)has three posts the two that the stator plugs into and the third is the charge wire out, if that third post is not pushing 12volts(should be putting out more then 12volts) @ 3600 rpms then it has failed.

Question: Should the third post be pushing more than 12 volts when the wire is connected or disconnected? When I have it disconnected it reads 16.xx, when connected only 11.9 or so.

Thanks!