PDA

View Full Version : work clothes..your opinion please

GarPA
03-30-2002, 07:45 AM
been trying to find the right work shorts...almost went with the carharts..they're ok but for the price I'm not thrilled with them.
I use logo'd work shirts and hats, truck and trailer professionally lettered. Ok now you'll hammer me on this one probably....what do you think of using Levi jean shorts with the shirts and hats I mentioned above? They wear well, easy to keep clean, reasonable in price and provide a consistent 'look'. Not talking 'cut offs' here..rather the actual tailored short. Alot of other professionals who do work at my home wear nice jeans and their work is alot less dirty than ours...thanks

yergus
03-30-2002, 09:22 AM
the men that work for me are required to wear our logo t-shirts, and black jeans. they can wear shorts as long as they are black, in good repair, clean, not cut offs, and not too short. anything else they go back home and change clothes.

bruces
03-30-2002, 09:41 AM
Nothing wrong with that, I'm getting some shirts lettered, but will probably wear Levi or other jean shorts or jeans.

TLS
03-30-2002, 09:57 AM
Nothing wrong with denim Levi's, but they are pretty pricey unless you buy them in Sept when all Summer clothes are on clearance for winter wear coming in.

I use the Carhartt 8oz painters short. Bought a bunch (8) a couple years ago for $20 a piece. Now I see they are up to $26.95 for one at Gemplers.

As for BLACK Denim Jeans.....WOW can you say H O T !! Are you serious, you MAKE them wear BLACK? :confused:

Robert Ewald
03-30-2002, 10:03 AM
When we had our shirts and hats made the ad agency we used had a catalog that had every type of clothing possible in it. They had eveything from uniforms to white dress shirts. Maybe you can look at a place like this and see if they have something durable like jeans but with a more professional look to it, if you are conserned about the way jean shorts might look.Dream, Believe, Dare, Do

1grnlwn
03-30-2002, 10:12 AM
Black pants. Do you have industrial supplier for Cruex? We wear beige pants/ shorts or jeans. I tell employees if you can take the pain of trimming and keep up production then you can wear shorts.
Mark

yergus
03-30-2002, 10:25 AM
apparantly you have never wore the black jeans, they are not as hot as you would think the are, and they look good with the atheltic gold t-shirts. i wear them, so i know.

TLS
03-30-2002, 10:31 AM
I've never worn BLACK jeans before, but I have worn jeans a few times by mistake. Ended up getting hot that day, and I never sweat so much in my life! Insides of my legs were chaffed!

My question to you .... apparantly you have never worn Lightweight Khaki shorts :eek:

Southern Lawns
03-30-2002, 11:33 AM
Croft & Barrow light or dark khaki cargo shorts. Plenty of pockets, cool. About $15.00 a pair. You can find them at Kohls or on the net. That's all I wear from March till December.

Fantasy Lawns
03-30-2002, 11:37 AM
I'm with you Southern .... light khaki shorts .... the baggy ones with the elastic waist ... I'd never wear jeans in the summer .... but it's was in the 80's yesterday

anythinglawns
03-30-2002, 11:41 AM
I have everyone wear a company shirt. They can wear shorts or pants of their choice but they must be in good shape.

65hoss
03-30-2002, 12:44 PM
Long pants only for me. I don't care to be beat up trimming.

Whatever the helpers want to wear as long as they are nice, its ok with me. But, most after day 1 with a trimmer start wearing long pants.

Acute Cut
03-30-2002, 01:13 PM
Carhart double plated denim jeans and our company shirt with logo. Uniforms are the easiest form of projected professionalism. In my area we have alot of pinecones that hurt like Hell when you get hit with one from the weedeater. Yes you can get cheapers pants than carharts, but you wont get the durability. Two years ago i bought 11 pairs of regular jeans to work in. I destroyed all eleven pairs before the next season had started. I bought one pair of carharts double plated denim jeans last year. I am currently still using them. They are in better shape than anything else i have ever used. Dirty as heck, yes, but still very operational. The cheapest way never seems to be the best way.

Propdoc
03-30-2002, 06:25 PM
I wear pocketed beige pants that unzip at the knee, and a knit shirt with company name. This way I can wear normal pants on colder days and just unzip them for shorts for warmer days, plus the pockets come in handy.

Ssouth
03-30-2002, 07:10 PM
I buy shorts from Wal Mart or K Mart ($12). They hold up just as good if not better than the name brand shorts. Personally, I choose the cargo style kakhi shorts. The hang down to about two inches above the knee. I like the longer ones because they protect your legs from the sun when riding a mower all day. Our uniform shirts are red.

May change to navy blue shorts this year. (Maybe they won't show stains quite as much)

LawnLad
03-30-2002, 07:35 PM
We provide uniforms to our guys, but let them buy boots and pants/shorts. Blue jeans are fine as long as they aren't ripped, have holes, bleached or stained excessively.

I buy LL Bean jeans since they make big boy cuts and I have free shipping with their credit card. They can wear blue jeans or blue twill. I let them choose their brand - see guys wearing anything from Kmart to Guess. As long as they are consistent with the uniform.

We thought about Khaki, since I like it better with blue or green shirts - but I was concerned about the grease and dirt and getting them clean. Any thoughts here for those of you who wear khaki?

TLS
03-30-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by LawnLad

We thought about Khaki, since I like it better with blue or green shirts - but I was concerned about the grease and dirt and getting them clean. Any thoughts here for those of you who wear khaki?

Use real warm water, a GOOD liquid detergent, and BIZ mixed in (comes as a powder in a small box) Let soak for an hour or so, then run through regular heavy duty cycle. Gets all grass stains out. Tough stains are mulberrys that get wedged behind your but!!! Makes it look like someone shot you and your but is bleeding!!! Use a spot treatment as soon as you get home.

I have a few forrest green flannel lined and regular Carhartt pants, would never think of wearing them in June though! Dark colors are too hot!

nasandsons
03-30-2002, 08:24 PM
I have found that BDU's (Battle Dress Uniform) Pants are the best. These are the same type of pants worn by the GI's, Swat Teams, etc.

They come in two different weights, Summer and Winter. They are also made from cross stitched material, which stops tears from spreading. They're also great for stopping bugs and ticks from going up your pant legs due to the fact that they have ties around the ankles. They also come with a good number of pockets and in several different colors.

Turfdude
03-30-2002, 11:40 PM
For the summer, Dickies work shorts - Kahki's are cooler than green which are cooler than blue. We too supply only tanks, shirts, hats, sweatshirts and jackets. Not too specific on pants _ just not too dirty at start of day and not holey in an unsightly fashion. Work boots are required, but not supplied.
Bob

proline32
03-31-2002, 12:36 AM
With all the trimming I do I never wear shorts.... to much stuff hitting the ole legs.

Today I just spent a bunch of money upgrading the uniforms, Khaki tops with logo... both long and short sleeves, Olive drab work pants that are light weight and with the elastic bands, new khaki hats and or olive drab hats with khaki bills and of course black steel toed sneakers with the goodyear soles.

Nothing says to a customer " your a pro" like a good uniform.

Had a customer tell even though I was the highest bid, my presentation, estimates, and uniforms sold them on me to do the job, They said the other LCO's that came out looked like a bunch of guys that just got out of bed and threw on some dirty clothes and scribbled a price on a sheet of paper.

johnhenry
03-31-2002, 12:38 AM
I'm with Hoss on this .Too much trimming and wouldnt want to get that beat up. I usally wear docker pants and polo shirts with are name on it. Besides if osha catches you wearing shorts on the job they can cite you for improper protection

Commander
03-31-2002, 02:24 AM
Try out pants, shorts, and shirts made by a company called "Arborwear" really good stuff.

Darryl G
03-31-2002, 02:45 AM
You can wear anything you want and OSHA can't say squat, if you're an owner and not an employee. I usually wear dockers shorts and a crew shirt for mowing and take the abuse to my legs. Sometimes for trimming I'll put on a pair of gaiters I have for hiking. They cover to just below the knee and help prevent blood loss. Looks a bit silly though. When doing any brush or digging etc. I wear long pants, sometimes jeans, sometimes dockers (which don't seem to last very long with heavy labor). I always try to keep a clean shirt or two in the truck.