PDA

View Full Version : Hiring a Manager

PB34
05-06-2009, 11:11 AM
At what point did you hire your first manager? I am the sole owner of my company, we have grown to 6-7 crews. I am pulling my hair out, I guess that is good we are busy though. I am debating on if this is the time to finally hire a manager to supervise my crews. I find myself spending all my time supervising and putting out fires, and not nearly enough time developing my company, selling, etc.

Just curious on when you hired your first manager. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Any ideas on pay rate? Thanks.

Az Gardener
05-06-2009, 11:35 AM
If you think about it most "managers" are guys who couldn't run their own businesses. Is that really who you want to hire to run your field? I have to run but will post more later. in the mean time check out my e myth thread in the business section for some direction in this area.

huskres
05-06-2009, 03:42 PM
How about taking your most experienced foreman and making him the manager? Then take the next up crew member and make them a foreman. Hire within and see how it goes.

bohiaa
05-06-2009, 07:49 PM
in same boat....

I was thinking about hireing a guy who simply knows how to be a manager. machines. people. calling on phone for parts. collecting. you name it....

it seems with 6 to 7 crews, " guessing here 2 man crew" at 12 to 14 people, it's PAst time to hare a manager. at the least you have 6 people who directly report to you.
I need an Equiptment guy, JUST keep up wiht what and where...

Best of luck to you.

and for what's it worth...........I'm almost bald, from pulling mine out.........

eaglescout
05-07-2009, 12:52 AM
When you find a manager that will run the business like it is his own then commit