PDA

View Full Version : Largest overbid?????

LAWNS AND MOWER
03-30-2002, 09:47 AM
What's the highest overbid ( intential or unintential ) you've submitted for a mowing account and got the job??? Mine would have to be a commercial account that I bid @ $50/cut. Takes 25 mins to mow and blow and 10 mins to weedeat ( everyother cut ).

LAWNS AND MOWER

65hoss
03-30-2002, 11:54 AM
I bid on a property that I didn't want. I was hoping to way overbid so I wouldn't get it. 4200 sf of grass and very little trimming for $82.50 weekly, and a 10,000 sf section every 2 weeks for $175. I guess I should have been higer, he likes the price and if he gets the house I got the job.

Lots of mulch work, about 300 shrubs to trim, aerating work, etc. He's the on-call DR. for several large US companies, so it no big deal for him. He wants this house as a status symbol. Only him and his wife, and the house is 3 story 8,500 sf with a 2 bay garage and then another 4 bay garage. Picture on of the houses from the Beverly Hillbillies.

A.U.steve
04-01-2002, 03:25 AM
The largest overbid l have is a job 30' by 30' for $75 it takes me 8 minutes.

TJLC
04-01-2002, 05:59 AM
The only one I can think of is: I did a vacant lot (10,000 sf) that was about 2-3 feet high. It took me about 2 hrs to mow and make look nice. I charged them $100.00 and they gladly paid it.

Green Star
04-01-2002, 09:21 AM
I recently bid on a small city common grounds, medians, and a park, the contract went out for $56,000, one company, no lie, bid $177,000!!!!

tlcservices
04-01-2002, 04:29 PM
the largest i over bid over the winning bid was $256,000.00 but there was that much work to be done.didnt get it didnt care.

Brickman
04-01-2002, 06:15 PM
My worst over bid on a job that I wanted was $200. Another contractor that was just starting cut my by that much, thinking that he was going to make good $$. He didn't. Later realized why my bid was what it was. He stayed less than me, but did raise his price this year.

My best paying job was a very nasty weed mow for the local Air Force base. No body else wanted the work, and I got the bid. After all expenses, and even paying the help an extra bonus of $100 a piece, my take home on that job was $250 an hour. Not bad. That is how it is working for the government.

ohiolawnguy
04-01-2002, 08:44 PM
we put in a bid on a condo complex a few years back. we were already aware of the landscaper at the times price of 140,000.
but, after surveying the property we put in a bid of $216,000.

needless to say, we didnt get the account. i still cant see how they were charging that price and making any money. the place was downright huge, and needed around 1400-1500 yards of mulch alone.

nelbuts
04-02-2002, 06:59 PM
about 10 years ago I bid this big property. I found out later that I was the second lowest bidder. The company that got the job beat me out by $96,870.00 per year!! Oh well let them have it.

Brickman
04-03-2002, 08:44 AM
One thing to keep in mind when you get beat out by that much. You know what your time is worth, you know how much material you will put into the job, and if some body else is THAT much cheaper than you, THAT is how much they just SHAFTED THEMSELVES for.
If they want to work for free, let them.
We have contractors around here that work for so little it makes me wonder how in the world they can buy day to day supplies, fuel, air filters, etc, let alone any thing new when old equipment goes down.

We are not in this business for our health.

HLC
04-03-2002, 01:19 PM
$35 just to run my stick egder around a small city lot. I didn't want the job and I thought the old bat would just laugh when I told her $35. She just said "when can you do it?" I did the work, she still hasn't paid. I guess she was laughing and probably still is.

Oh, BTW Brickman, you're exactly right. I had a friend tell me one time that it is always better to overbid a job and not get it than to underbid one and get it.....I always keep that in the back of my mind.

TurfGuyTX
09-23-2002, 07:17 PM
I had a couple that had me put a full service proposal together. I bit it fairly. They said "it's too high, how much to fertilize one time?" I told them $75. I didn't really want the job. They agreed to the price and 5 minutes later. I collected the cash. It was only 1800 sq. ft.

sbvfd592
09-23-2002, 07:41 PM
ya well myne was 175$ for a 5 min job.!! I layed out a sod lawn 2 falls ago for some one who had me do all the work there i worked on that house the hole summer. cleard the land, put in side walks and it was my last day there i had layed out all the sod and planted it. was there at 6 in the morn. and i was talking to the owner once i was done. my fist full job i had! so i hand a band conert that i played in that to raise cash for marching band i was beet i had to go home shower and go to the high school and play as we are talking getting latter i said i had to go play. he asked me if i could turn on the sprinkler system for him and fix any head that dident come up. i was likd for a 175$ ok so i turned on the vlave and to my luck there was a working head at every flag wow did i make out well that night life was good at the time.:D :cool:

Bob Minney
09-23-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by HLC
$35 just to run my stick egder around a small city lot. I didn't want the job and I thought the old bat would just laugh when I told her $35. She just said "when can you do it?" I did the work, she still hasn't paid. I guess she was laughing and probably still is.

Should have charged $70 and she could have been twice as happy.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

AielLandscaping
09-23-2002, 09:11 PM
my most profitable overbid didn't even come from lawn care. a friend of mine is an exterminator and came across a dance club that was being renovated. the new owners were planning on opening in less then a week and had a huge roach infestation. my friend was looking the place over and when they went into the basement the found the source of the roaches. the exterminator refered the owner to me because he didn't know anyone else who had access to trucks that could be used for hauling stuff. i checked it out and didn't really want to do the job, but knew they had no choice but to either go with my bid or open the club with roaches everywhere. i paid 3 helpers 20 an hour and still made over 800 for myself in one day. maybe i should get into the hauling business...:)

Darryl G
09-23-2002, 09:55 PM
TJLC - Actually your $100 bid seems about right to me if if was that overgrown.

Jon99
09-24-2002, 07:26 AM
I mow two lots next to each other for a lady every other week, takes me about 25 minutes to do both, I charge her $60 and she insists on sending me $75....

Administrator
09-24-2002, 09:15 AM
$200 per week for 11,200 sqft residential, and $250 extra every other week to cut (no trimming) his "pasture" of 30,00 sqft behind his property.

So, $1,300 monthly which he paid in advance quarterly. His yard took no more than 15 or 20 mintues complete and the back pasture took no more than 10 mintues extra. ( 3man crew running 2 ztr's, 1trimming.)

I over bid so much because it was mid season and a litte out of the way.

He was a Dr. who had no problem paying the money... he knew it was high but said the most important thing was knowing the job would get done.

*I did fert and pest apps for free though... along with all side jobs.

Now, that reminds me.... On the back pasture he had a small barn... one of those expensive metal kind for a horse. It was completely full off horse **** so he asked me to scoop it all up with my skid steer.... I sent one of my workers out there to do it and while cleaning it out he lifted the bucket up to high and hit the main support rafter and the entire building/barn collapsed immediatly... WHOA!

This guy was so cool he didnt even show a single emotion of anger. He would have let it go as a mistake and not even asked me to pay for damages. Of course my insurance took care of this.

I hated giving losing this customer when I sold my company.