PDA

View Full Version : Single course 6 x 8 blocks

Armadillolawncare
05-07-2009, 01:48 AM
Can I get a little help here please. I have a customer that has requested we build a bed using a single course of 6" x 8" blocks butted together no cement.
What is the proper method for prepping the ground. The soil is primarily clay under the thin layer of topsoil the builder put down. My plans would be to lay out the shape of the bed, remove existing turf exposing the clay. Do you guys suggest putting down any type of aggregate or sand prior to placing the blocks?I would thing having a layer of sand would help level the blocks as we go. Any help or advice would be apprecaited. Thank you in advance for your time.

Armadillolawncare
05-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Can any one give a little help here please?

PlatinumLandCon
05-08-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't think I'd put much time into prep, its going to look bad regardless.

GreenLight
05-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Can I get a little help here please. I have a customer that has requested we build a bed using a single course of 6" x 8" blocks butted together no cement.
What is the proper method for prepping the ground. The soil is primarily clay under the thin layer of topsoil the builder put down. My plans would be to lay out the shape of the bed, remove existing turf exposing the clay. Do you guys suggest putting down any type of aggregate or sand prior to placing the blocks?I would thing having a layer of sand would help level the blocks as we go. Any help or advice would be apprecaited. Thank you in advance for your time.

Im not completely following...Are you building an actual bed out of blocks or just the bed edge?

PatriotLandscape
05-09-2009, 08:58 AM
just level the soil under the turf and put them in. for that small of a project there really isnt much in the way of prep. it will swim over time if it hold water and freezes but not sure what winters are like in central texas.

Armadillolawncare
05-09-2009, 09:51 AM
It is the bed edging only. We don't get freezes here and the clay soil will not hold water so I would think that "swimming" shouldn't be an issue. Whether or not is looks bad, it is what the customer requested. Had they wanted the stones mortared or more then one course I would have subbed this out to a hardscaper. I asked them about more then one course of stone but they were not interested. I apprecaite the opinions.