PDA

View Full Version : Color ran out of mulch

grasscutter845
05-07-2009, 07:22 AM
We did 30 yards of black tuesday. There was a light rain all day just a drizzle. I had 3 guys there took 5.5 hours. I went to look over the job and it looked great the home owner was very happy. Wensday i get a call from the homeowner and she asked me what color i ordered, i said black like you wanted, she than said well the black is now brown. I went back later that day and sure enough the dye ran right out. Me and another guy went around with rakes and moved it around a little and got it back to black a little. She isnt mad she understands **** happens(thank god) but i feel bad and i told her i would look into mulch dye. Does anybody have any experience with dyeing mulch when its already down? And how would i go about applying it? Thanks for any help

EVM
05-08-2009, 07:53 AM
You need at least one day of dry weather after the mulch is down in order for the color not to run. If it rains 5 hours after the mulch is down you are screwed.

STRINGALATION
05-08-2009, 04:53 PM
i think you got a bad job. i assume that came in by the yard so it has probably been exposed to the elements. did they stir it up or give you the top burner? have you got it from them before? i have a place that switched distrubutors because all over town you can see who bought that last batch from them because it is all brown now a lot of people are pissed about it. the dye washed right out

EVM
05-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Again, it is very common for mulch to lose its color if you put it down and it rains before the mulch dries. You will get this happening allot now because the mulch companies are trying to produce mulch as fast as possible with the high demand during this time of year. Who ever you got the mulch from will tell you this. There are signs posted about this at my local nursery.

We did 30 yards of black tuesday. There was a light rain all day just a drizzle. I had 3 guys there took 5.5 hours. I went to look over the job and it looked great the home owner was very happy. Wensday i get a call from the homeowner and she asked me what color i ordered, i said black like you wanted, she than said well the black is now brown. I went back later that day and sure enough the dye ran right out. Me and another guy went around with rakes and moved it around a little and got it back to black a little. She isnt mad she understands **** happens(thank god) but i feel bad and i told her i would look into mulch dye. Does anybody have any experience with dyeing mulch when its already down? And how would i go about applying it? Thanks for any help

IRRITECH
05-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Yeah, I have dyed both black and brown. Works well but it is a freakin mess. Do NOT get it on concrete. Although before I went that route I would contact the supplier and see what they are willing to do for you.

grasscutter845
05-10-2009, 02:51 AM
Yeah, I have dyed both black and brown. Works well but it is a freakin mess. Do NOT get it on concrete. Although before I went that route I would contact the supplier and see what they are willing to do for you.

My supplier isnt gonna do anything for me. Where did u buy the dye how much did u pay? Also how did u spray it and did it take a long time?

IRRITECH
05-10-2009, 09:41 AM
My supplier isnt gonna do anything for me. Where did u buy the dye how much did u pay? Also how did u spray it and did it take a long time?

Lesco sells NU-Mulch. Does take some time but does a good job. $40/qt , I can't remember exactly but I think it covers the equiv of about 10 yds.