PDA

View Full Version : Is a 4x4 necessary?

spyderski
05-07-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm looking to get a 10 or 12 ft trailer and was wondering if it was absolutely necessary I know it would be preferred but are a lot of you makin it by with just 2 wheel drive? Thank you

ALC-GregH
05-07-2009, 09:09 AM
you don't need a 4x4 to pull a small trailer. 2wd will work just fine.

IntegrityGuy
05-07-2009, 09:12 AM
2wd is fine for mowing. but in the winter it is always nice to know you have a sencond option when stuck in the snow.

spyderski
05-07-2009, 09:22 AM
The only snow we see here in NC is on tv so I'm not to worried about that. Thanks for your input. I've been so onesided on having a 4 x 4 now ca. Open up my options and spend a little less on a truck

mnglocker
05-07-2009, 10:03 AM
The only snow we see here in NC is on tv so I'm not to worried about that. Thanks for your input. I've been so onesided on having a 4 x 4 now ca. Open up my options and spend a little less on a truck

A t-case and a front axle usually add about $5k to the price of a new truck, so you'll save more than just a little, infact you'll save enough to go for a 14-16' trailer and a better ZTR.

seabee1
05-07-2009, 11:40 AM
i just wanted one ,i put a plow on it so their .of course my ole man says all 4x4's are good for is to get you stuck worse further out ! over confidence :nono:

IntegrityGuy
05-07-2009, 11:44 AM

haha. Your icon says your from NY so im guessing you moved. You definentally should be good with 2x4

spyderski
05-07-2009, 11:54 AM
yeah, guess i should update that. we just moved down.

SiteSolutions
05-07-2009, 12:49 PM
If you're just cutting grass a 2wd ought to be fine. I end up parking off road a lot, and it turns out to be mud often enough that I find 4x4 to be worthwhile. It can be expensive but so can walking 10 miles to civilization and hiring somebody to come pull you out, or d1cking around with pulling yourself out with your loader when you're alone, wasting all that time, possibly tearing up your truck... for my purposes, it is very useful. If you never or rarely leave the pavement, it is just a waste of money up front and more stuff to maintain and repair down the road.

Gravel Rat
05-07-2009, 05:06 PM
When it comes to srw P/U trucks I never buy 1 wheel peal because you can get stuck on anything even on wet pavement.

Myself I would buy the 4wheeldrive if its a dually 2wd is okay but been there done that with single rear wheel 2wd.

ZTR_Diesel
05-07-2009, 05:29 PM
I guess It's simple for me - 8 years with a manual transmission 2wd truck, got caught one time on ice in a back-woods parking area in a camp with a tractor, it was a quick easy pull-out. I don't off road, and have driven literally thousands of miles in Illinois and Wisconsin snow - never once a problem. Keep good tires on it, add a little weight in the back when conditions develop that call for snow, and drive sensibly. I realize some people (especially those who plow or farm) really need 4wd. Otherwise, it's the most over-sold, under-utilized option on modern veichles. How many of the expensive SUV's that are bought and sold in the south evern actually travel off-road?

So - it you're not off-roading it, you'll be fine. Heck just buy an old, (cheap) Volvo 240 wagon with a trailer hitch on it to start with, you'd have a unique, inexpensive setup to get going with...:rolleyes:

GravelyNut
05-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Better solution is to get a 2WD with a locking rearend. This coming from someone who has seen 2WD P/U with locker go where a 4WD got stuck.

TXNSLighting
05-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Im a fan of 4x4. Mainly cuz i have alot of stupid friends always gettin stuck, and its a good way to get free beer!

SiteSolutions
05-07-2009, 11:46 PM
A locking rear end is just about as good, you get the same number of tires with good traction. I am looking forward to putting an air locker in the rear of my srw 350, and maybe in the front too. Is the Detroit Locker any good for this sort of use? Is it as good as an air locker?

Gravel Rat
05-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Noooo you don't want a detroit in a daily driver unless you are used to driving a truck with one. ARB air locker is a better choice more expensive but its selectable. Actually with a ARB when its engaged it acts like a spool so both wheels are locked and drive together doesn't matter if you release the throttle the axle shafts are locked together till the air pressure is released. You wouldn't want to drive on pavement with a ARB locked in you will have a interesting time to drive.

I have a Detroit true trac in my 2wd F-450 yes it does very well I can go places my open diff F-450 wouldn't. Even with baby azz smooth tires the truck went where my previous trucks did the one wheel peal.

The big problem with a locked or traction aid in the diff is the rear wheels sink and your stuck.

Yes 4wheeldrive can get you into more trouble it can help you too.

Ric3077
05-08-2009, 12:13 AM
4x4 will come in handy but is not totally necessary

SiteSolutions
05-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Maybe an ARB air locker in the rear and a Detroit Locker in the front?

And I would say there have been one or two times when I found 4x4 to be necessary, for where I was, and what I was into. Like I said, hauling mowers on asphalt really doesn't call for it, but on a logging trail pulling a lightly loaded trailer it was indispensable. I found it completely necessary in that situation.

mnglocker
05-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Maybe an ARB air locker in the rear and a Detroit Locker in the front?

And I would say there have been one or two times when I found 4x4 to be necessary, for where I was, and what I was into. Like I said, hauling mowers on asphalt really doesn't call for it, but on a logging trail pulling a lightly loaded trailer it was indispensable. I found it completely necessary in that situation.

I would straight up skip the detroit locker on anything you'll be towing with or driving on the street.

One wheel wonders don't fishtale from two tires spinning, hense GREATLY reducing the chance of jack knifing your rig.

If you need a traction aid, the ARB is a great option, because when it's off, you have an open differential which is easy on tires and axle shafts.

And as far as puting a locker in the front... only if it's a dedicated rock crawler, otherwise you'll never be able to steer it worth **** on the street.

SiteSolutions
05-08-2009, 12:32 AM
If the hubs aren't locked in, why would a solid spool make any difference in street driving?

I just want to have something that will not only pull itself through a mud puddle, it will pull a trailer through a mud puddle. Nothing more aggravating than loading up in a soft field, and then having to unload, drive out of the field onto gravel or pavement, load up again. Sometimes it's only a few feet, sometimes it is a long way to walk back to the loader and walk the loader back to the truck.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-08-2009, 12:48 AM
I've always had 4x4 until my most recent truck. Thus far, haven't missed 4 wheel drive yet.

Gravel Rat
05-08-2009, 06:13 PM
You really don't want a Detroit locker in the front even in dirt with the hubs locked and in 4wheeldrive you will have a hard time steering.

The best option is ARB front and rear if you are a serious offroader.

TandM
05-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Here is what you need an arb in the rear. thats it you dont need a locker in the front. I mean unless you are up on some 40's with a 10 inch lift and are boggin it everywhere which i dont think you do. A locker in the rear will be a HUGE difference but the arb is the way to go since it is selectable so you can turn on the street and not chirp your tires away. I have a limited slip differential in the rear of my tundra it is 2wd and I can follow my dads gmc 2500 duramax 4wd anywhere. you dont need 4wd it is just nice to have.

SiteSolutions
05-10-2009, 04:21 PM
I've got a limited slip in the rear right now, but I'm not talking about cruising an empty 4000 lb 'yota around for funsies, I am needing to move an 8000 lb truck with lots of torque pulling a trailer weighing from 4000 lbs to 11,000 lbs down a trail. The limited slip isn't limited enough for my use. And going to 4 low isn't always enough to get out, even though I'm not trying to go through a mud blog, just soft conditions. I want all four wheels turning, cause one front + one rear ain't enough sometimes.

I do see what you all are saying, that a locked front end will be hard to steer on the the good parts of a trail, and it would be better to have it selectable. So, GR especially, what about air lockers (or even eLockers) at both ends? I can put the truck in 4x4 when I start off the road, and then if it gets soft, I can just lock the diffs on an as-needed basis... is that what I am hearing?

Also, are the factory auto-locker hubs worth keeping? If I don't put too much extra torque through them versus stock, will they hold up? I like the idea of not having to get out and twist the knob on them in some situations, where it is real muddy or there are snakes and mosquitoes and chiggers and stuff.

Gravel Rat
05-10-2009, 05:24 PM
You don't want a full locker in the front axle because it will rip the steering wheel right out of your hands. You actually want the rear axle to do the most of the traction. The biggest weak link in the front axle is the U joints once you grenade one of those your really stuck. The Dana 60 can't take lots of spinning and grabbing in a heavy diesel P/U truck its not bullet proof you can make it stronger but it takes the coin.

A ARB in the front allows you to lock it in when you really need it but keep it unlocked when you don't.

The factory limited slip in the Ford manufactured axles are pretty weak. The best limited slip is the Detroit True Trac Ford Factory installed them in F-450 and F-550 trucks its what I have. A all gear helical limited slip no clutches or springs. They say you don't get torque steer from a True Trac that is B.S. it grabs which is good but it takes some getting used to. Ford never offered the True Trac in anything smaller than the S110 Axle.

The newer Detroit lockers or Soft locker is supposed to be okay never tried one yet.

As for auto hubs get rid of them I don't trust them they get sticky and don't want to engage properly. When you need 4wheeldrive the most they let you down.

SiteSolutions
05-10-2009, 06:35 PM
As for auto hubs get rid of them I don't trust them they get sticky and don't want to engage properly. When you need 4wheeldrive the most they let you down.

Yeah, the last time I was not moving, I was had already put it in 4x4 but was spinning. Got out and locked the hubs manually and walked right outta there. I need to get up under the truck to see if I got a vacuum line loose or what might be causing it. I had to put a new hub assy on the driver side last month so I thought that might solve it but it didn't; they're still not auto locking.

Gravel Rat
05-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Just be thankfull you don't have a Dodge or Chev. Chevy used to use some kind of thing that heated up and it engaged the 4 wheeldrive when the first IFS trucks came out. Dodge has that vacuum assisted axle lock that has some sleeve that engages the axles.