PDA

View Full Version : Nightscaping IQ-150

JeffY
05-07-2009, 09:42 AM
I primarily work in irrigation, but from time to time am asked to do lighting repairs/installs. I have a greater appreciation for lighting now and how it is more complicated than throwing a 10g wire down on the ground and daisy-chaining fixtures. So through you guys, I have changed my techniques to be more professional and make troubleshooting/servicing easier.

For my question, has anyone use nightscaping's IQ-150? The client has that controller along with two powercenters, one running the front and the other for the back. The initial problem was that the back lights were not functioning. I turned on the IQ and went to the back transformer and measured the voltage from the control wire and got nothing. I cut the control wire halfway between the two devices and was able to receive voltage. I then ran new wire from that point to the transformer. When I went to test, I was able to get the back transformer to work, but now the front do not work. What happened? It was working when I arrived and why does it now not work? I ran new control wire between the two (only 1 feet apart) and still nothing. I jumped the transformer to verify the transformer works and it does. Could it be the module? Do they even make that anymore as I can't locate it? I didn't mess with the wiring in the IQ controller, but does it get its power from the transformer as I don't see a plug for it? Anyways, appreciate the help anyone can offer as I usually deal with just 1 transformer jobs and not multiple transformers wired together.

irrig8r
05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
I never used it. I heard it was fraught with problems. They don't offer it now and haven't for a few years as I recall.

Is it also using a relay between the transformers?

If the Powercenters are the style with the removable module (4 screws, on the lower left side) then:

1. for more reliability, I would swap out the IQ (and toss it out) for the astro timer (made by Aube, called a PS) and a new version Islander relay from Nightscaping... and if they are just one foot apart I might consider the stand-alone version of the PS - called an ETC-400 as I recall - one timer, dual receptacle to plug in two transformers (and wire up your Powercenters with no modules.) I've used it in situations where there was an existing transformer and I added a NS Powercenter so they came on together.

OR

2. if the client really needs remote capability, switch to UPB by SImply Automated or ControlScape. SA offers a starter kit for a decent price.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-08-2009, 01:02 AM
The IQ controller is very much out of date and has not been available for some time. I don't even know anyone who has experience enough with it to help you troubleshoot the unit.

I would follow Gregg's advice above. Go to the new Astro Timer (T-SS-PS) in one of the transformers and install a relay module (T-SS-12V) in the second transformer.

If the client needs remote control of one or more zones then UPB is the way to go for sure.

Regards.

Roger TheShrubber
05-08-2009, 07:30 AM
How convenient that this topic should come up. I too have to troubleshoot an IQ150 system today. I downloaded the troubleshootign guide from the Nightscaping website, but I'm curious if anyone knows of an online guide to operate the control system for the IQ. It's been many, many years since I worked with the IQs.