PDA

View Full Version : Rakes

gunputt
03-30-2002, 03:23 PM
Is a 30'' wide rake the biggest you can get?

Ground Master
03-30-2002, 04:59 PM
its the biggest I've seen

keifer
03-30-2002, 09:09 PM
Depends on what kind of rake you have in mind. there are some you pull behind around six feet.

Turfdude
03-30-2002, 11:46 PM
The 30" Disston Poly's hold up a lot better than the AMES!!
Bob

Wayne Offiler
03-31-2002, 11:24 PM
A rake? Whats that for? As for cleanups, my Echo PB650, 9hp Little Wonder push blower and double blade Gator Magnums make quick work of lawns.

ohiolawnguy
03-31-2002, 11:35 PM
i am assuming you ean leaf rakes. ive seen them as large as 36', but those are usually the plastic type, and i hate plastic rakes.

we used to buy all of our rakes at sears hardware because their metal tine rakes had a five year warranty. break it, and trade it in. all you needed was to keep a copy of the receit. once a year, we would gather up the broken rakes and take them back. then buy however many more we felt necessary it was great. now, they have poly/metal combined rakes in place of the all metal rakes. the tines are still meta, but the fan part is plastic.

landscaper3
03-31-2002, 11:52 PM
Go to www.amleo.com

LawnCrafters
04-03-2002, 07:00 PM
Ames makes their Greensweeper rake (poly) 36" wide. Just came out last year.

wxmn6
04-03-2002, 07:38 PM
You would like a wide rake, but not too wide. Try to rake damp leaves with 30" & 36", you will see how hard it is to use it. I like 24" rake. It is a good size rake to use and does not strain as much as wider rakes would do.

GLS
04-03-2002, 08:44 PM
we used to buy all of our rakes at sears hardware because their metal tine rakes had a five year warranty. break it, and trade it in. all you needed was to keep a copy of the receit.
Five year? The rakes I buy are a lifetime warranty! I also don't need a receipt. I buy almost all craftsman hand tools. If one breaks, I bring it back, and pick up a new one. No questions asked.

I have returned several shovels and rakes, and everytime they just give me a new one, no questions asked. Can't beat that!

LawnLad
04-03-2002, 08:48 PM
I stopped buying the plastic rakes a couple of years ago since I was tired of finding the guys breaking them by pushing piles of leaves like the rake was a shovel. Times have changed, maybe I should venture out again. Since then, we've only used metal tine rakes. Poly rakes are nice on dry leaves... but once they get wet - forget about it.

The best metal tine rake I have found to date was the Ames Stinger. The spring was strong and the fiberglass handle wouldn't break. But I can't find 'em anymore. Does anyone know where to get something similar?

Runner
04-03-2002, 10:17 PM
I agree 100% with LawnLad about the differences in poly and steel rakes. We do use poly rakes usually, including in the spring, but metal is much more suitable for spring cleanup applications, as they are better for digging out leaves that are matted down into the surface, and are used a bit more often in the spring. These metal rakes, however, while used through the season for cleaning up some edging jobs (if necessary) and such where raking on cement surfaces is necessary, are never used for fall cleanup. They just seem to lack the horsepower.:)