PDA

View Full Version : It's been 10 days !!

kunathm
05-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi,

I am in upstate NY the weather has been nice, but gets colder at night. I had a really really bad yard. It was very sandy,weedy,mossy and the like. I had a local kid come in and rake eveything really good, tear up all the weeds and moss and pick rocks. I then laid around an inch and a half of topsoil over the already loosened soil that was their. I bought Scott's turf builder seed with the all new water technology (the sponge like coating on the seed.) then I bought seed starter (little pellets of fertilizer and mulch the help retain water) I have watered EVERY DAY !! sometimes it got a little dry on top but I watered again to keep it as moist as I could. I raked the seed in very slightly too.

I am going on 10 days and I have yet to see any sprouts. The bag said it will germinate within 5-10 days.... Any insight?

tombo82685
05-07-2009, 05:30 PM
you didnt throw any crangrass preventer down right? When you say cold at night how cold? It could all depend on your soil temperatures. grass really starts popping when soil temperatures are from 55-75. Below that the growth rate slows. When you laid down the seed did you roll it or do something to ensure good seed to soil contact? If their is air pockets where the seed is laying and its not in contact with soil that can greatly inhibit growth. Just some tidbits to think about.

bigslick7878
05-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Hi,

I am in upstate NY the weather has been nice, but gets colder at night. I had a really really bad yard. It was very sandy,weedy,mossy and the like. I had a local kid come in and rake eveything really good, tear up all the weeds and moss and pick rocks. I then laid around an inch and a half of topsoil over the already loosened soil that was their. I bought Scott's turf builder seed with the all new water technology (the sponge like coating on the seed.) then I bought seed starter (little pellets of fertilizer and mulch the help retain water) I have watered EVERY DAY !! sometimes it got a little dry on top but I watered again to keep it as moist as I could. I raked the seed in very slightly too.

I am going on 10 days and I have yet to see any sprouts. The bag said it will germinate within 5-10 days.... Any insight?

Pics or it didn't happen.