PDA

View Full Version : demo kit

irrigation lemieux
05-07-2009, 08:12 PM
what is the best way to fabricate a demo kit.i've got 5 path ligth et 7 up light.How much length i give for every fixtures.what is the best way to install a demo kit.

Pro-Scapes
05-07-2009, 09:30 PM
I used regular 120v plugs at the end of 25 ft leads attached to my fixtures.(quicker to find some cheap extension cords and whack the female ends off

I then made 12 ga leads with double gang boxes at the end with recepticals. I attach the 12ga leads to the trans and then just plug the fixtures into the end. Just hook it up quickly in a hub format.

I have not used the kit I made in a long long time.

On that note if I had to do it again I would probably get some 3 gang boxes and put some electronic transformers in them and use the same plugs on the ends of the fixtures. and make the recepticals in the 3 gang boxes put out 12v from the electronic transformers. Ultra portable.

Unique makes a nice ready to roll kit

Cast makes a kit

Demos are a love hate thing. I preffer to do mock ups and bury the wire after night time adjustment.

irrigation lemieux
05-07-2009, 10:33 PM
hey billy,

is it a big deal to have a picture of you demo kit.I`m not sure what kind of receptacle i will use. i dont see how you do you connection at the transformator.

thanks for you help.

David Gretzmier
05-07-2009, 10:49 PM
I used 10 guage superflex, and bought 25-30 2 buck 16 guage indoor 120 volt 15 foot cords with the 3 ways on the end, and cut all in half. I have 4 60 foot lengths or so of super flex, with a 3 way female cord, 7.5 feet long wired every 10 feet in to 10 guage, along with a short male end at one end and the last female with a very close 16 guage. . I also have 2 runs of 60 foot of 10 guage super flex to use as extension cords.

I then put the other 25 males on 20 uplights and 5 paths. all uplights are 20 watt 60 degree mr-16's and all paths are 20 watt bi-pins. i carry about 5 each of the other popular 20's, 35's, and a few 50 watt 60 degrees for bigger trees.

I use 2 600 watt trans and have 4 females coming out of each, one at 12 volts and one at 14 on each side, but I can always move a tap.

with this set up I find myself coming up a few uplights short on most demos. I rarely need 5 paths on a demo, maybe 2-3
I store it all in 2 big rolling ice chest coolers that are about 20 bucks each at Sam's wholesale. Heavy. really heavy. but it works.

I like the demo because the customer sees pretty much what you are bidding. whenever I do not demo there is either surpise happy or surprise let's change it because what I think and what the customer thinks is two different things. If I could close jobs without the demo and all folks were happy, then I'd choose that.

last year when the phone rang and I did a demo, I usually closed the job. no demo, and close ratio last year is about 50%. this year, even with the demo, I have closed very few.

Pro-Scapes
05-08-2009, 08:32 AM
david and i are doing similar set ups on the demos.

David try reassuring your clients who are on the bubble you will do an above ground installation. Hook it all up then the next day seal the splices and bury the wire. It works. It allows for changes easily and it also give your the oppurtunity to inject more fixtures

If I had to do it again I would probably just buy the unique kit in the rolling chest and be done. I ispent hours and hours putting my kit together.

As far as connecting to the trans I just hook the longer leads up to the taps. If I did them everyday I wold have a retractable reel set up

Tommy the geek has the ultimate demo set up but I think he is more or less using 2-3 unique kits.

TXNSLighting
05-08-2009, 04:24 PM
I was going to be build my own kit, but decided to go with the unique kit. That is the best way to go. Ive added about 8 lights to it as well. Im going to buy another next year to make one ultimate kit.

JoeyD
05-08-2009, 05:36 PM
http://www.uniquelighting.com/education/Powerofthedemo.htm

you can buy our quick connects as well!!

Mark B
05-09-2009, 11:10 AM
I bought the cast about 6yrs ago. I kinda dread going out and setting it up. It is heavy and to me it is PITA. My redneck .02

The Lighting Geek
05-09-2009, 11:30 AM
I have 4 840w tf's with about 60-70 fixtures, a bunch of 25, 50, 75, and 100 foot homerun cables. I keep the tf's in small Stanley rolling boxes and the rest in 2 large rolling Stanley boxes. My truck is setup with all this in the bed under a cab high shell. The bed pulls out to expose everything. I only roll out the tf's and leave them in the black boxes with a large hole on one end. I just take out the fixtures as needed.

I have not used it much lately, but it might make the difference in a close bid.