PDA

View Full Version : Bunton or scagg

edge
03-30-2002, 03:48 PM
I have a question, i am looking at a scagg 36 in gear driven
walk behind 15 hp and a bunton walk behind with the same
also bunton has made there newer walk behind 36" with a larger gear box and larger rear tires, this will be my first commercial
mower and was wondering if anybody could give any advice on
the 2 mowers

65hoss
03-30-2002, 05:04 PM
Neither, demo an eXmark. :)

lantz
03-30-2002, 06:15 PM
I recently posted a thread concerning Bunton or ExMark. I had narrowed my decision down to these two after demos on Scag, Walker and Gravely. I then took the Bunton and ExMark out on my actual accounts residences and to one large industrial site. After mowing half and half of each site. I asked my customers which cut they liked the best. 5 of 5 all agreed on the Bunton, I went ahead and bought two 52' Buntons. The Scagg cuts no where near the Bunton, hope it helps because I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago.

MikeLT1Z28
03-30-2002, 07:16 PM
lantz, what model of the exmarks did you demo? just curious as to the deck on the model and why the customers liked the bunton better.

Scotlawncare
03-30-2002, 07:25 PM
I have an older 52" bunton walk behind and the cut is now where near the cut of the exmark. I had a 36" Honda that the bunton couldn't even touch on quality of cut. I am wondering which bunton you demo'ed and which exmark.

Most customers cant tell the diferance between a good cut and a bad one.

Scot

slplow
03-30-2002, 08:30 PM
Bunton was the first rotory comm mower made. When textron bought them out in the 90s they went down hill with cheaper pulley's and spindals. I have a freind still running a 1979 52'' and cut as good as any mower i have seen.Now the new design from what I heard is as good as the 70's and the 80's with a better cut. If I neaded a new wb I would considerite.

lawnjockey
03-30-2002, 10:53 PM
Before I say anything, ask yourself this...Is the dealer going to stand behind the product and the day will come when you are dogging it and it's 95* and your mower goes down, what then??
Will he make time right then to fix or give you a demo to use?
Like I said in a earlier post, I used to be all Gravely, but now it's Exmark. I have a great dealer here that does the above mentioned. I also just purchased a 48inch hydro w/ mulching
kit and it cuts and chews grass great...

Jim Feder
03-31-2002, 12:18 AM
scag do not put them on the back burner it is a great mower put doubles on it and you may see the sweet cut scag is for my comp.:D

johnhenry
03-31-2002, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't choose either.There are so many great brands.If I was you look into some of these other brands like exmark,hustler,great dane and look into the new gravely its a sweet mower.

G MAN 22
08-18-2005, 03:56 PM
BOBCAT? I looked at their product! Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they somehow linked with Bunton? How is there cutting performance? I also noticed that they have more notches for height adjustment for a higher cut if needed. What say you?

Tharrell
08-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Bob-Cat is owned by Textron which also owns Bunton, Jacobson and a few other brands. I would choose Bob-Cat over Bunton right now. The price is good but there are some tradeoffs. My dealer got a Bunton 17 hp Kawasaki with a 48 floating deck and it's $2599, the fixed deck Bob-Cat with a 15 Kawasaki is $3199. I had to do a doubletake to see why.
The bunton has a single belt like my 32 Bob-Cat. I don't need anymore of those.
I'm sure there are some other tradeoffs but, I didn't care to look any furthur.
I can't imagine man handling that Bunton in a muddy ditch with a single pulley system.
I can't imagine what they were thinking when they designed that one.

G MAN 22
08-22-2005, 03:59 PM
How does the mower stand up as far as reputation and reliability are concerned? Is the cut good, AVG, or Excellent? I am really looking to get one for my house and that is about it.

naturescape
08-23-2005, 09:44 AM
I hated the cut on my 1986 Bunton, but the new Buntons have bobcat decks -- they cut great!

G MAN 22
08-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Does anyone know the cutting height on the bobcats? Is the third gear about the speed of an early 90's Bunton or is it more similar to an Exmark? I liked both of the above mowers but one thing that really caught me about the Bobcat was the potential cutting height and the big or larger than AVG discharge on the side. Would anyone recommend the floating deck? What about blades on the Bobcat? Are the gator blades still used a lot? What is considered the best blades to get? Thank You! :D

Tharrell
08-24-2005, 08:25 AM
If you're just using it for your home, go ahead and get the Bunton. It's several hundred dollars less than anything comparable. I was just concerned about the single pulley system when conditions are wet. It's basically a Bob-Cat with a different tranny and single pulley system. As far as speeds go, I don't know about your comparison but, I cut most of the time in 3rd 4th and a lot of my yards are 5th gear. Grass has to be dry and the blades sharp to use 5th.

mcwlandscaping
08-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Neither, demo an eXmark. :)
I would agree with ^^^. However sticking to the original question, a guy that owns the nursery that i mow for has a bunton for his house. He loves it.

G MAN 22
08-24-2005, 12:39 PM
In all honesty I am considering all of the walk behinds but I can't justify purchasing a hydro for one large yard. A lot of the newer walk behinds "according to their website" only come in hydro. I believe Great Dane is a good example of this. I would say it is between the Bunton, Bobcat, Exmark, and Skag. As of now I am undecided but I appreciate everyones opinion on this. At least a 48 size deck and no larger than a 54 or 52. :waving: I will continue to post here and get some solid feed back. Thank You.

G MAN 22
08-24-2005, 01:21 PM
mcwlandscaping
LawnSite Senior Member Wrote:

I would agree with ^^^. However sticking to the original question, a guy that owns the nursery that i mow for has a bunton for his house. He loves it.

One thing that I noticed about the Exmark was the cutting height. How many notches are on the front of your walk behind? For me this is very important.

MTR
08-24-2005, 04:27 PM
I have a question, i am looking at a scagg 36 in gear driven
walk behind 15 hp and a bunton walk behind with the same
also bunton has made there newer walk behind 36" with a larger gear box and larger rear tires, this will be my first commercial
mower and was wondering if anybody could give any advice on
the 2 mowers

No pun intended, you are about to make big mistake buying any of these gear 36" walk. Productivity sucks, I labored for almost 3 years cutting with a 36" eXmark Metro (sold ) gear with 5 speed peerless tranny, 9 spline, double belt drive, it got me started but it would not help me productively, let alone arms and body fatigue. If you look to get this belt walk as gate backup, not frontline mower, I would go with either Toro or eXmark. Scag made very good hydro walk which last forever but their control pistol sucks, and if you still want Jacobsen camp, go with Bob cat, the new bobcat deck is good but not good enough to beat Stander and eXmark cut.
Advice? neither of them. Go 36 " Stander or eXmark Turf tracer hp.

befnme
08-24-2005, 04:57 PM
in my oppinion buy a scag.i have a 14 horse 48 inch cut belt drive and it is the best mower i have owned.i dont really like the ex-mark,the handles are in a funky position for me.