PDA

View Full Version : Brake controller for older pickup

tacoma200
05-08-2009, 02:50 AM
Most of the electric braked controllers seemed to be designed for newer pickups. I'm looking for a good controller for a 1992 GMC C 1500 Sierra.
I think a proportional unit sounds like a good match. Any models that stand out?

igotdiesel2
05-08-2009, 05:36 PM
You can use any brake controller on any truck. The thing with the new controllers and new trucks that have a "tow package"is that they plug right in under the dash. You might have to do the hard wiring all the way back to the plug. As far as what is "the best" controller? How many guys are on here? Everyone likes their brand. I have the Tekonsha P-3. I pull 3 different trailers. A 16' open, a 16' enclosed and a 10' dump. loaded the open is maybe 3000# and loaded the dump is 12,000#. I like this controller because I don't have to adjust it to the weight as often as I did with my Reese. -Jason

Innovative
05-08-2009, 05:41 PM
The Tekonsha Prodigy. You'll never need anything else.
Very simple wiring

mag360
05-08-2009, 08:44 PM
You can use any brake controller on any truck. The thing with the new controllers and new trucks that have a "tow package"is that they plug right in under the dash. You might have to do the hard wiring all the way back to the plug. As far as what is "the best" controller? How many guys are on here? Everyone likes their brand. I have the Tekonsha P-3. I pull 3 different trailers. A 16' open, a 16' enclosed and a 10' dump. loaded the open is maybe 3000# and loaded the dump is 12,000#. I like this controller because I don't have to adjust it to the weight as often as I did with my Reese. -Jason

Older trucks are not smart enough to tell the controller how hard you are pressing the brake pedal; this leaves you with either an on/off effect or a time release effect. The manual proportional controllers physically hook up to the brake pedal and apply the trailer brakes in proportion to how far the pedal moves. This is a great way to go with an older truck although in '92 chevy may have had a smart enough ABS system to feed a digital controller.

Horsepower Lawns
05-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Older trucks are not smart enough to tell the controller how hard you are pressing the brake pedal; this leaves you with either an on/off effect or a time release effect. The manual proportional controllers physically hook up to the brake pedal and apply the trailer brakes in proportion to how far the pedal moves. This is a great way to go with an older truck although in '92 chevy may have had a smart enough ABS system to feed a digital controller.

Do what?????:dizzy:

The only newer truck that changes the brake power is a Chevy with the built in control. All other trucks just tell the control you are hitting the brakes.
You can get a Tekonsha controler that can tell how hard you are slowing down & it will change power to the brakes.

Pick up a Primus, Prodigy or P3 & you will be happy.

The hard part will be installing it. That truck should just have the blue and orange (or red) wires running from under the brake booster to the spare tire & it may not even have them.

doubleedge
05-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Do what?????:dizzy:

The only newer truck that changes the brake power is a Chevy with the built in control. All other trucks just tell the control you are hitting the brakes.
You can get a Tekonsha controler that can tell how hard you are slowing down & it will change power to the brakes.

Pick up a Primus, Prodigy or P3 & you will be happy.

The hard part will be installing it. That truck should just have the blue and orange (or red) wires running from under the brake booster to the spare tire & it may not even have them.

If that is true, then explain to me why my brake controller displays a higher number (more braking force) as I press down the brake farther.

Innovative
05-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Proportional Braking over time delayed is best.

Both will show increased numbers or bars, but with proportional it rarely locks up the wheels as it uses inertia and change in the angle of the contrller to measure the amount of brake force required. You can usually set the amount of Initial brake boost as well, and just use this when owing heavier/loaded trailer and remove the boost when not. Timed braking just keeps adding more brake pressure the longer you hold your foot to the brake and this creates lock up if you are only moderatly applying brake pressure.

Horsepower Lawns
05-09-2009, 01:13 PM
If that is true, then explain to me why my brake controller displays a higher number (more braking force) as I press down the brake farther.

What is you truck & control?