PDA

View Full Version : Dormant Seeding

Smallaxe
05-09-2009, 12:06 AM
The good thing about Domant seeding is that it applies into the ground naturally. It does not require several waterings a day to keep it moist on a dry sunny day. It does not require that we keep it moist for 10 - 20 days at all costs - in all situations...

The bad thing about dormant seeding is that ... there is no way to predict the success rate.

This year was pretty good.

Though much of my activity has to contend with trees and shade, my sunny spots have germinated at about 50% already. The 'Irrigation' has not been turn on yet anywhere... Therefore... spring overseeding is a BIG risk...

Nothing will grow now unless there is water delivered at least 2 times daily... from this point on...

I am sure that many folks have already completed their spring updates by now... but...

I'm curious... who has any new germination this spring... :)

STRINGALATION
05-09-2009, 10:53 PM
i'm a bif fan of dormant seeding did it big time last fall with excelent results. i thiink it is great for those maitenance contracts they wonder why they are paying me when the cutting is over and then spring rolls around and thoselate ferts and seeds have them green first and fluffy they smile

Smallaxe
05-10-2009, 07:55 AM
That is good to hear. I have never done a whole new lawn with dormant seeding in the fall, but I learned the history of one starting that way.

Do you have much early spring competition with broadleaf weeds?
This year I notice more broad leaf germination in some areas and not all of the grass has started yet. We continue to be chilly especially under trees and near the water.

STRINGALATION
05-10-2009, 11:06 PM
OOOOH SORRY I MISUNDERSTOOD i did not know you meant a new lawn. i thought top-dressing and over-seeding . i will say the sewer and electric people do it all the time and they dont water or nothing and some of there work looks good

Smallaxe
05-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Yes I was talking overseeding in the spring. Of course lawns that have been pre-m'd in previous years are not likely to sprout many broadleaf weeds but some new areas are.
A new lawn in the spring could become disasterous after April 15th here.