PDA

View Full Version : John Deere 997 thre wheeler.

DLCS
05-09-2009, 10:47 PM
:hammerhead: I was mowing with my 997 yesterday and all of a sudden I lost a rear wheel. Two of the lug bolts sheared off and the other two were pulled out of the hub. Dealer said they were loose, I have never removed the tires. Anyway, dealer is really backed up so I elected to install the new hub. But my problem is I can't remove the $^&*#@* hub. I've tried using a gear puller but it will not move. How do you guys get the hub off of the shaft? I really don't want to put heat on it, I thought this would be a easy job.:cry:

MowerMedic77
05-09-2009, 11:12 PM
I use one of these to remove all hubs from wheel motors.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=76759&group_ID=2248&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

You may be able to rent from a good auto parts store or find a lower priced version other then Snap-on(not known for low prices):laugh:

DLCS
05-10-2009, 03:16 AM
I think our local Farm and Fleet has one similiar, I'll give it a try. Thanks

DLCS
05-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Got it fixed, thanks for the help.

nosparkplugs
05-10-2009, 10:22 PM
glad to see you got it fixed. It's becoming easier to fix things ourself. I have always opted to takle my own ZTR problems, only thing that has screwed me up is those "dealer" tools required for jobs.

:hammerhead: I was mowing with my 997 yesterday and all of a sudden I lost a rear wheel. Two of the lug bolts sheared off and the other two were pulled out of the hub. Dealer said they were loose, I have never removed the tires. Anyway, dealer is really backed up so I elected to install the new hub. But my problem is I can't remove the $^&*#@* hub. I've tried using a gear puller but it will not move. How do you guys get the hub off of the shaft? I really don't want to put heat on it, I thought this would be a easy job.:cry:

DLCS
05-10-2009, 10:56 PM
glad to see you got it fixed. It's becoming easier to fix things ourself. I have always opted to takle my own ZTR problems, only thing that has screwed me up is those "dealer" tools required for jobs.

Yeah, if i had the right puller from the start it would have been a 30 minute job. My dealer said he could get it fixed on tuesday but i wanted it done now. LOL He ordered the parts on Friday afternoon and they were here Saturday at 8:00am, so i thought that i would try it myself. The dealer lets me do my own warranty work if they are real busy, i just give him the old parts when i'm done. Sometimes its more convenient to do the work youself and you always learn something in the end. The really technical stuff, i would just let them do it. But this seemed pretty easy.