PDA

View Full Version : Stihl BR 550 running very slugish

Travis E
05-09-2009, 11:17 PM
So lately my BR 550 backback blower has been hard to start and not been able to run full throttle. Finally had a chance to bring it to the dealer for a few days and they thought they had it fixed but still doesn't run hardly at all. Can only run it about about half throttle if that. The dealer is stumped also. A key note is that when the choke is on it runs fine but you can't run the choke and blow the same time cs the choke kicks off when you hit the throttle. So to me that means its not picking up fuel. The dealer recommended trying to back out the carb ajustment to allow for more fuel but still doesn't help. Does anyone know of anything??

topsites
05-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Sounds like it could be the welch plug

ricky86
05-10-2009, 12:01 AM
First recommendation is to find a new dealer.

Travis E
05-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Sounds like it could be the welch plug

So i researched that quick and found that it seems to be a common problem, although im not really sure what its purpose is?

First recommendation is to find a new dealer.

They are 100 times better than the one it was purchased through!

KGR landscapeing
05-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Dose it run well with a full tank of gas? also did they check the spark screen on the muffler But my first thought would be fuel filter

Josh.S
05-10-2009, 01:20 PM
spark screen on the muffler

+1 -- This is what cuased BOTH of my FS80s to have similar problems. The screen was clogged completely... just pull that sucker out and don't put it back in... I think they are to protect against forest fires in Cali anyways..

mowerknower
05-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Check to make sure the fuel line is not leaking, usually cracks right at the nipple on the tank. Do check the exhuast screen but I would doubt that it plugged. The 4 mix engines run really clean, I have not ever seen one with a plugged exhuast.

Travis E
05-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Dose it run well with a full tank of gas? also did they check the spark screen on the muffler But my first thought would be fuel filter

Doesn't run well at any stage of fuel run.

+1 -- This is what cuased BOTH of my FS80s to have similar problems. The screen was clogged completely... just pull that sucker out and don't put it back in... I think they are to protect against forest fires in Cali anyways..

Ok i'll have to check that tomorrow, if it doesn't work then i'm taking it back to Neiderts and let them try again to figure it out.

Check to make sure the fuel line is not leaking, usually cracks right at the nipple on the tank. Do check the exhuast screen but I would doubt that it plugged. The 4 mix engines run really clean, I have not ever seen one with a plugged exhuast.

The dealer said they checked all the lines.

JAX76CJ
05-11-2009, 06:53 AM
Travis, I had the same problem with my BR600 when it was brand new. I took it back in and they replaced the Fuel tank "Grommet" (where the fuel lines enter the tank). It ran fine after that. Also, the 4-mix gear doesn't build up carbon as fast in the exhaust, so I don't think that is your issue here. If all else fails, have them put on a new carb. :rolleyes:

Travis E
05-11-2009, 11:50 AM
I mentioned some of these to the dealer today, he is still thinking its the coil so idk. They only thing he was conserned about was that i had not been running synthetic oil in it untill now but who knows if that caused this or not.

KGR landscapeing
05-11-2009, 11:58 AM
when the coil quit on the KM110 we were using it just ran for a cuple seconds and then never started again. I dout its that

Wizz
05-15-2009, 02:36 AM
I mentioned some of these to the dealer today, he is still thinking its the coil so idk. They only thing he was conserned about was that i had not been running synthetic oil in it untill now but who knows if that caused this or not.

Don't let them use the synthetic oil pawn...techs that are stumped will start reaching for stuff like this just to throw it back on the customer. Let us know how it turns out.

Travis E
05-15-2009, 11:30 PM
They called and said it was done tonight but i didn't have time to run and get it. So i'll let you know when i pick it up in the morning. They said it was a combination of things so i'll see.

Travis E
05-17-2009, 01:53 AM
They changed out the coil and carb and now it runs perfect again. But they said to try it for a week before I pay just incase. Hopefully it takes care of the problem.

paulyfa
05-18-2009, 11:00 AM
By a rebuild kit for the carb it's probobly a ZAMA. I have a BG 55 and whenever it only runs on choke I rebuild the carb and it works fine. I wouldn't worry abouth the whelch plug inside it is very rare they need to be cleaned. There is also a small screen that's inside the carb and it gets filled withe crud. The rebuild kit comes with a new one. I guarantee thats your problem.

No Bull
05-21-2009, 01:25 AM
Sounds like you might want to try a new carb kit. Sometimes if a carb is getting old the parts inside start to strech which causes the carb to flood which could cause it to run boggish. Or check and see if the carb is dirty including the jets. Hope this helps. Good Luck !

Travis E
05-21-2009, 09:53 AM
I already posted a couple of posts back of what the dealer did to fix it, problem solved.