View Full Version : thatching question

03-30-2002, 10:24 PM
one of my customers wants me to flag out sprinkler heads b4 thatching his lawn.i have thatched a number of irrigated lawns no problems. but should i be flagging i just figured aeration could bust heads and pipes never thought thatching could do damage.

03-30-2002, 10:28 PM
Beware of flail blades!!
I always flag heads (actually use markout paint) as I did have to replace one many years ago. I replaced head when client wasn't home. I had the arc properly adjusted, but not the H2O pressure. Her system went on the next morning and she woke up wet - oooops. Now I inform client that they can mark out system, I can mark out for small fee (sometimes no fee), or I can thatch lawn w/ out responsibility for possible damage to irrigation heads.

03-30-2002, 10:34 PM
dam i cant believe it ive been really lucky then.there gonna flag the heads out i just have drop off the flags.if i ever do bust a head do they just twist off.

03-30-2002, 10:43 PM

Depending on your state, you may have to be licensed to do ANY type of repair work (even head replacement). All heads have adjustments and require specific tools.

03-30-2002, 10:52 PM
thanks good tom know...

03-31-2002, 09:01 AM
It depends on your thatcher ??? what kind do you run ?? The Flail blades or the slicer blades will tear up irrigation heads, But the comb type blades ( encore ) wont...... or even the spring tines, like the JRCO and Walker types...

03-31-2002, 09:33 AM
just for piece of mind i would always flag any hazards etc.

03-31-2002, 09:56 AM
its a blue bird. i will be flagging to be on the safe side.