PDA

View Full Version : thatching question

ronslawncare
03-30-2002, 11:24 PM
one of my customers wants me to flag out sprinkler heads b4 thatching his lawn.i have thatched a number of irrigated lawns no problems. but should i be flagging i just figured aeration could bust heads and pipes never thought thatching could do damage.

Turfdude
03-30-2002, 11:28 PM
Beware of flail blades!!
I always flag heads (actually use markout paint) as I did have to replace one many years ago. I replaced head when client wasn't home. I had the arc properly adjusted, but not the H2O pressure. Her system went on the next morning and she woke up wet - oooops. Now I inform client that they can mark out system, I can mark out for small fee (sometimes no fee), or I can thatch lawn w/ out responsibility for possible damage to irrigation heads.

Bob

ronslawncare
03-30-2002, 11:34 PM
dam i cant believe it ive been really lucky then.there gonna flag the heads out i just have drop off the flags.if i ever do bust a head do they just twist off.

Turfdude
03-30-2002, 11:43 PM
Ron,

Depending on your state, you may have to be licensed to do ANY type of repair work (even head replacement). All heads have adjustments and require specific tools.

Bob

ronslawncare
03-30-2002, 11:52 PM
thanks good tom know...

SCAPEASAURUSREX
03-31-2002, 10:01 AM
It depends on your thatcher ??? what kind do you run ?? The Flail blades or the slicer blades will tear up irrigation heads, But the comb type blades ( encore ) wont...... or even the spring tines, like the JRCO and Walker types...

stslawncare
03-31-2002, 10:33 AM
just for piece of mind i would always flag any hazards etc.

ronslawncare
03-31-2002, 10:56 AM
its a blue bird. i will be flagging to be on the safe side.