PDA

View Full Version : GM canyon/colorado???

Xpertise Lawn & Landscape
05-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Anyone running these trucks? Pics of rigs would be nice im looking into buying one thanks!

hockeypro1411
05-10-2009, 04:36 PM
If you're going to pull a trailer I'd at least get a Silverado/Sierra. You'll be happier in the long run.

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-10-2009, 04:46 PM
i like the motor they use inline 5 i think almost 242 hp. i dont own one but i see a lot of them and i dont work on that many either so i think they are a solid truck i had one come in for a check engine light before inspection time but it was just a bad sensor and he was all set, the truck looked abused too with over 100k on it had hunting stickers all over it as well so from what i have seen they are a runner! buy one.

05-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah i think the inline 5 will be strong enough to pull my trailer. I also looked it up and it will hold a boss 7 foot plow no problem so thats a plus.

hawgcaller
05-11-2009, 03:32 PM
You can get the 5.3 V8 in certain models also.If power is your requirement.

I would be more concerned with the ability to stop a well loaded trailer, safely and quickly more so than power to pull it.
Just my opinion about truck and trailers.

speedster
05-11-2009, 03:35 PM
They are one of JD Power lowest rated vehicles of all time. If you are looking at a midsized truck look at the Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma. Both offer more powerful V-6's with better towing capacity.

delphied
05-11-2009, 04:01 PM
I would get the Silverado as well, especially for plowing snow. I guess you didnt ask for opinions though. Sorry.

Organicare of Fairfield
05-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I have a 2008 4 door that i use as my estimating truck. Haven't done much work with it. Gets good gas milege compared to my 2500hd and i think it has plenty of power to pull a small trailer. So far I'm happy with it after 12000 miles since christmas.

ZTR_Diesel
05-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Small trucks are a vanishing breed in this country, mostly due to the fact that manufacturers didn't make them a priority as they did high-margin larger trucks. The fact is, that some of the smaller units can haul just as much weight, and close to as much trailer load as thier base-line 1/2 ton trucks. However, they still don't really get all that great of mileage, even some of the Chevy 1/2 tons likely get better mileage than thier Colorado rigs. But for a lawn care business, they may be fine.

I think a great policy for getting a truck is to consider the application it will be used for, more than your personal preferance. I worked with a grounds crew in the Chicago area at a local Univeristy that had two identical 1998 Chevy 1/2 ton short-bed 4wd's with the small V8. Sounds like a strange unit? It was - and for a very good reason - these were thier parking lot plow trucks during winters, so they were a great size for that, and due to the short bed and regular cab, they also fit inside the garages we stored them in with the plow attached.

Buy what you need - that's my suggestion...

Toy2
05-11-2009, 10:43 PM
We have a 4-door Colorado at work........junk, its to low, its bottomed out many times.......speed bump type hills, plastic parts off the front/rear bumper pulled off, bed is worthless, to short...

My Tacoma will smoke that small Chevy every time...and its 13 years old...:)

TXNSLighting
05-11-2009, 11:30 PM
I dont know why anyone would want one of those...

nosparkplugs
05-12-2009, 12:20 AM
They make nice delivery or parts runner trucks, lots of them in Memphis any in-line engine is going to produce some good HP/Torque. Don't know much about the reliability of these trucks, I really don't pay great detail to these little trucks until I read these posts, and think back.

I was on the interstate the other day a guy in a Ford Ranger those are in-line 4 bangers? anyway Dude was rolling with a 16ft tandum landscape trailer, and was giving the Cummins turbo diesel a go. I know he had that Ferd floored, and I was just rolling buy him with more than half a pedal left..

05-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Yeah see my main concern is manueverabilty for plowing residential drives i think a short bed reg cab 1/2 ton will do the trick or 3/4 ton

aird208
05-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Dont plan on towing too much. My friend has one and it struggles up any type of hill when he pulls his four wheeler on a golf cart tralier (less than a 1,000lbs total). I'd step up to a half ton truck, but to each his own.

LewisLawn
05-15-2009, 01:33 PM
I know you said chevy colorado/GMC canyon but for me i have a dodge dakota quad cab with the v8 (towing package) and pull a small landscape trialer for all i carry it has plenty of power...i also can carry the same trailer with the same equipmet or load with my Ram but prefer the dakota,,,from what i have read on the plow site they are okay for small residential plowing, not parking lots...if i would have the oppurtunity to do this again i would add 4 wheel drive so i could plow for my customers, a small salt box as they put in xuv(gators) would be ideal for the added weight...i fyou are concerned with stopping get a trailer with its own brakes

unkownfl
05-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Get the biggest truck you can afford if you plan on making money. You never know how much equipment you may need to tow in the near future.

G. Ramey
05-15-2009, 02:11 PM
It's not exactly what your talking about but I use a chevrolet trailblazer to pull a 12ft trailer with one mower. It doesn't have the inline 5, it has the inline 6. The trailblazer does well with the 12ft trailer and one mower, but it,s a real dog with a 16ft trailer or two mowers. The power is adequate. The braking could be better. The fuel economy is where it really shines. I use a 2500hd for more than one mower. If you look at todays midsize trucks and compare them to fullsize 1/2 ton trucks from 12-15 years ago they are about the same size and capable of a lot of work. I could drive my 2500 more often but I prefer the trailblazer.

lawncare010
05-15-2009, 02:43 PM
I have a 2006 gmc canyon and i am 17 it is my first truck and i love it.
I used to use my dads tohoe and my truck stops a lot better than the tohoe did. I am pulling a john deere 727a which is 1500lbs and a exmark wb 36'' which is 500lbs so 2000lbs and then my 500lbs trailer so 2500lbs and it pulls great.

lyube
05-17-2009, 02:32 AM
Don't get a canyon or colorado. They are another POS GM design that has no place in the lineup.

If you must get a GM vehicle, get a 1500. It'll be a better vehicle overall. Bigger yes, but more powerful and suited to your needs than the canyon.

razor1
05-23-2009, 01:28 PM
I know Isuzu makes the Duramax diesel for GM. Anyone know who makes that GM inline 5 cylinder?

lyube
05-23-2009, 07:26 PM
I know Isuzu makes the Duramax diesel for GM. Anyone know who makes that GM inline 5 cylinder?

The 5 cylinder engine was designed for the asian market but brought to the US and redesigned for US epa regs.

razor1
05-23-2009, 08:25 PM
<"The 5 cylinder engine was designed for the asian market but brought to the US and redesigned for US epa regs.">

I only ask because I've been tempted to buy a little run around town truck and these got pretty good reviews. Now if that was a 5 cylinder diesel it would really be nice!

lyube
05-26-2009, 10:50 PM
<"The 5 cylinder engine was designed for the asian market but brought to the US and redesigned for US epa regs.">

I only ask because I've been tempted to buy a little run around town truck and these got pretty good reviews. Now if that was a 5 cylinder diesel it would really be nice!

The only 5 cylinder diesel that was ever any good was the one they put in the old mercedes benz cars. Insanely reliable, great MPG, steel block, but had a tendency to burn lots of oil. Mine had 450k on it before a pump went out on the tranny and I sold it. Could have easily hit 1milllion miles on it.

I would KILL for a diesel tacoma like the Australians have. An awesome all around truck.

W.L.M.
05-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Don't get a canyon or colorado. They are another POS GM design that has no place in the lineup.

If you must get a GM vehicle, get a 1500. It'll be a better vehicle overall. Bigger yes, but more powerful and suited to your needs than the canyon.

I agree, go with a 1500 with the 5.3 or 4.3 (make sure to get 3.73 or 4.10 gears) and you will have a work horse. Nice gas mileage and you can work it like a 3/4 ton. I have a 09 silvy reg cab 8 ft box and I have had it full of edging and carried 3 yards of mulch on it and the truck does it with a smile on its face. Doesn't squat too bad and running down the road with the weight it actually drives better than it does empty. Currently I get about 550 miles to the tank either carrying weight or driving with a heavy foot when empty.