PDA

View Full Version : how to unlock a cylinder head

ljhanson12345
05-10-2009, 07:21 PM
ok guys i have a makita chainsaw and when i was replacing the clutch i got the cylinder head stuck. I found on a website on how to replace the clutch and they told me to put nylon rope in the sparkplug hole to jam up the cylinder head. Well i did it and it work i was able to replace the clutch and now the head is stuck. When i got the nylon rope out i saw that some rope was still jammed up in there.

My question is whats the best way to knock that cylinder head loose? Ive gotten a hammer and put some wood in the sparkplug hole to try and hit it out. Do i need too just hit harder or is there some tricks i need to know.

i don't have much experience with this and i can use all the help i can get

mowerknower
05-10-2009, 07:29 PM
I dont know how the heck you could get it stuck that way but I would say your gonna have to pull the cylinder off. Dont know how hard you should be hitting the piston.

S DIAMOND
05-10-2009, 08:53 PM
You probably have the rope jammed between the piston and the exhaust port. Possibly the intake. Remove the muffler and remove the fibers of the rope so they donít get stuck in the cylinder.

ljhanson12345
05-11-2009, 11:17 PM
thanks s Diamond, i think you may be on to something hopefully it works

ljhanson12345
05-20-2009, 10:56 PM
alright well i took the muffler off and Diamond was right. The nylon fibers were jammed between the cylinder and the exuast port. I was able to get some of it out, but its still jammed up in there.

My question is how do i get the rest of the fibers out so that the cylinder will be free?

I have tried hitting the cylinder head through the spark plug with a hammer and a piece of wood, but it still won't budge. is there a trick i need to know?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ljhanson12345
05-21-2009, 04:11 PM
bump, bump

mowerknower
05-22-2009, 01:34 AM
Just pull of the cylinder and clean it out. Thats the only way you are gonna get all the crap out of there.

ljhanson12345
05-23-2009, 10:02 AM
well, i tried to pull it out and it wouldn't budge. I decided to just pay some money to get it fixed. I find out wednesday if they can get it out.