http://www.lawngodfather.com/Flex%203.JPG

http://www.lawngodfather.com/Flex%204.JPG

http://www.lawngodfather.com/Flex%205.JPG

http://www.lawngodfather.com/Flex%206.JPG

http://www.lawngodfather.com/Flex%207.JPG

http://www.lawngodfather.com/Flex%208.JPG

65hoss
03-31-2002, 03:38 AM
I guess the guy doesn't have a head. haha.

Looks good, when are you going to Brad's to pick it up?

Can't wait for the info on how well it does.

LAWNGODFATHER
03-31-2002, 03:40 AM
Hey That's Brad in the pics.

May go get it Tuesday.

awm
03-31-2002, 08:54 AM
gotta say ,i like the way it looks.i value my trim side to much to use it on the z. but some applcations ,i can see where it would
work pretty good.
wondering if u can remove it easily and leave your original trim
in say 5 min.if thats the case ,i would give it a shot.

Flex-Deck
03-31-2002, 09:49 AM
awm - the bracket that we put on the main deck does not interfere with trimming even with the flex-deck off-all the pivot points and arms etc are inset 2" or more.
It comes off in 30 seconds, and goes on the same.

The bracket keeps the main deck totally enclosed, it just reshapes the front corner so we can get the Flex-Deck blade as close as possible to the Main Deck trimming blade (approximately 1") You see, the Flex-Deck is also totaly enclosed, and as you can see in the pics, the discharge area just in front of the main deck is not adjustable: The entire bottom edge of the skirt is 1/4" below the cutting edge of the blade under the flex-deck, and unmowed grass that is heading for the main deck to be mowed in this area rakes the flex-deck discharge area clean.

Thanks, Brad

65hoss
03-31-2002, 10:06 AM
Brad,
How did it feel to be using a real eXmark? haha.

Sorry about the confusion last weekend, glad to see you got LGF's taken care of. I can't wait to get some data on it. Good luck.
Eric

mqgreen
03-31-2002, 10:55 AM
Hi there i am new to the business and have never seen one of these. What are the advantages to having one. What is there basic purpose. I noticed it going under the pine tree and it looked helpful there but wouldn't it just be in the way most of the time?

Doc Pete
03-31-2002, 11:09 AM
OK, I give up. Just wondering, why are you walking a lawn the size in the picture?? Isn't that the job of a velky, which would be mowing at about twice the speed. You still need to trim the landscape ties, so I'm not sure what the point of the flex deck is. Thanks,
Pete

65hoss
03-31-2002, 11:15 AM
The pictures are from the FD just being put on the machine. Flex Deck was put on LGF's mower so he can use. Size of that lawn is irrelevant.

With the FD you add 18" to the cut width of any mower. For example, with a 36" you flip the deck up and drive thru a gate, flip it back down and cut with 54". You can use the deck to get under trees, etc to reduce trimming. But the biggest advantage is the added width to cut.

toby
03-31-2002, 12:15 PM
Looks good Brad.
Price? How difficult is the install? Will it void the warrenty? How quickly will it detach-attach? flex height adjustments? Where are the clippings dispersed? How much added width with the flex-deck flipped up? Why no pic of the flex flipped up? Why don't you have an option of putting a 5 hp motor on it for added power in spring cuts & for leaves?
I understand the WB deck must be cut to accomidate the flex-deck attachment.
Thanks

Flex-Deck
03-31-2002, 01:16 PM
In answer to a lot of different questions:
1. I will get some pics with it mowing flexed down and up Monday
2. I will get some pics with this mower (70") total cut mowing between bushes only 26" apart.
3. Don't know about warranty, but in talking with eXmark they are willing to discuss with dealers (Don) and maybe give us a little help in certain areas.
4. I mow my yard with JD 455 - 60" main deck + 18" added with the flex-deck = 78" cut.
5. LGF has a velke but I did not reinstall it yet. I just tried to learn how to drive the animal without running over stuff.
6. Also will try to get a good inside corner pic.
7. Once you mow with the deck on, I doubt very much that it will ever come off (It can be removed in 30 sec. and the main deck is still enclosed and can be used as before - the bracket pivot points etc are 2" inside the trim side of the main deck, so they do not interfere.) The only time any of my owners take the deck off is if the grass is a foot tall and they need the power to knock it down.

Thanks, Brad

toby
03-31-2002, 03:27 PM
Price?
Height adjustments?
Added width flipped up?

Russo
03-31-2002, 09:00 PM
Now that LGF got one, sure that it'll become god's gift to mowing. :rolleyes: :D

dlandscaping
03-31-2002, 10:01 PM
I've read some of the other posts on equipment but have yet to see LGF's list beside the 60in lazer in Turf mag and his tt pictured here. What else are you running, i am interested to see. I did love your line in Turf when you said proving my mom wrong since i am trying to do the same exact thing. Good luck with your flexdeck.

65hoss
03-31-2002, 11:15 PM
I just got off the phone with LGF and FD. They are sitting in FD's shop tonight. They are both excited about how it turned out. I bet by tomorrow night LGF will have a good bit of hours already on it.

LAWNGODFATHER
04-01-2002, 09:13 PM
Here are some more pics.

http://www.lawngodfather.com/FD20.JPG

http://www.lawngodfather.com/FD21.JPG

http://www.lawngodfather.com/FD22.JPG

http://www.lawngodfather.com/FD23.JPG

http://www.lawngodfather.com/FD24.JPG

http://www.lawngodfather.com/FD25.JPG

http://www.lawngodfather.com/FD26.JPG

http://www.lawngodfather.com/FD27.JPG

Runner
04-01-2002, 09:34 PM
Man, if you're opening up to the Exmark realm, hold on to your rear!!! You are opening up a gate that is leading into w i d e open fields! Good luck with it!;)

Flex-Deck
04-02-2002, 09:21 AM
Thanks runner, we hope so.

awm
04-02-2002, 05:08 PM
it does really look like another improvement that will increase our capabilities.il be looking for them ,so i can get first hand look,
when im ready to buy.i am convinced.

Doc Pete
04-02-2002, 05:25 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but where I mow, even if I was able to put the flexdeck in and around those things, I'd still have to weedwhack around them for a good job. Also, where do the clipping get blown?? I'm guessing the flexdeck is more for just cutting and not that much for those important lawns that like a stripped professional look????:rolleyes:
Pete

scottt
04-02-2002, 07:31 PM
Switchless,
You have got to remember not all parts of the country are like your area. Around here no one stripes lawns. We have bermuda almost exclusively and the only place I have seen stripes here are on golf courses and my lawns with fescue in the shade.

Doc Pete
04-02-2002, 07:54 PM
Thanks , Scott. That's really what I figured. Where I live the houses are $500,000 to $800,000 on 1/2 acre, and most of them have the lawn bagged, or cut with stripping and straight lines. I have to settle for mowing the $400,000 and lower cost houses:D :D

Pete

Flex-Deck
04-02-2002, 08:17 PM
The clippings get discharged directly under the main deck for dispersal. Most of the clippings are mulched and everyone wonders where did they go?

LAWNGODFATHER
04-03-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but where I mow, even if I was able to put the flexdeck in and around those things, I'd still have to weedwhack around them for a good job. Also, where do the clipping get blown?? I'm guessing the flexdeck is more for just cutting and not that much for those important lawns that like a stripped professional look????:rolleyes:
Pete

Flex-deck will not eliminate your trimming. Only Round-Up will!!!

However for those that can't grasp the concept, it will cut your trimming and the time spent trimming down a cosideriable amount.

I have only used it on my own lawn so far, and I can realy see how much closer and all the tighter spots I can get a mower in, which all equals less trimming.

Instead of having a 2' section of grass to trim, now I have to just trim the around bush and the house.

For striping, it has it's own unique pattern, and it will lay a great line.

Infact it cut's very well.

I will have many pics in the next few weeks for all to see.

toby
04-03-2002, 01:33 AM
Please post a pic of a 2' section of grass you would have to trim were it not for the flex-deck. Are you talking about that ditch or hole?

Flex-Deck
04-03-2002, 04:46 PM
Toby - We are talking about inside corners and between object that are a couple of feet apart. You see, now you can mow between those object with a wide deck. The flex-deck gets between them wheather it is on a 36" main deck or a 72" main deck. Those with the 36" main deck will have a 54" swath capable of getting everywhere, and those with the 72" main deck are at 90" total and all have the capability of mowing between tombstones, bushes, etc that are very close together. thanks, Brad

scottt
04-03-2002, 11:35 PM
Switchless,
Sounds real rough having to settle for homes under $400k:rolleyes: I wish I had a reason to worry about the way my stripes looked. Has anyone heard when the bluegrass that grows in the south will be for sale? Sounds like it could be an easy sell around here.

Doc Pete
04-03-2002, 11:46 PM
How'd you like to have 15 ft. between each house, and they are above $450,000 on less than a half acre. Worse they're on the top of an old quarry, with a small fence separating you and a 300 ft. drop:confused:
Pete

LAWNGODFATHER
04-03-2002, 11:52 PM
Forget your $400k going to sink in the land fill houses and get back to the Flex-Deck.

I will have more to report once the grass starts to realy grow.

Doc Pete
04-04-2002, 08:31 AM
If you insist, to get back to the flexdeck, I'd really like to see the "reail time video" of the flexdeck going between those flowerpots or whatever the obstacles are, and some of the other really tight fits. What I'm still having a problem with how this thing is going to save me time when I still will need to weedwhack for a professional look. Regardless, I'm interested to see how this thing will be able to go in and out of tight areas fast enough to offset just blasting by obstacles and taking the extra second or two to weedwhack a bit more ground.
Possibly, since I use a weedwhacker without a guard (eye, hearing and hand protection, though) and run about a 21 inch diameter cut area, my weedwhacking is more like using a trim mower and whacker all in one.
Pete
For Pete's Sake

JimK
04-04-2002, 10:43 AM
Brad,

Do you have any high resolution pix of this set up?

Russo
04-04-2002, 12:38 PM
We all have ideas and visions about great products to invent for our industry, but FLEX_DECK( Brad? ), you actually put legs on your idea.

I wish you all the good fortune you deserve for your hard work.

Maybe someday we'll all be talking about the "old days" when these weren't around; like the velke, the internet, or wine in a box.

Good Luck, Landscraper

heygrassman
04-04-2002, 03:29 PM
LGF, where are you finding the true benefit in this product: reduction in trimming or efficiency inside gated yards, or both?

TIA,

jf

LAWNGODFATHER
04-04-2002, 11:01 PM
Right now there is not much trimming what so ever, so I don't want to give any false information, thus meaning, we all (including me) have to wait untill the grass is growing at full strength.

But I have been piddling with it, and mowed an entire swing set with a slide and not have to trim around or under it at all.

Normaly no peice of the mower can get under a slide, but with the Flex-Deck, got it done no problem.

It lays a pretty unique stripe of it's own.

AND The guys and I are still getting used to it, it's not that hard to use, just no one is used to 18 more inches hanging of the trim side of the deck.

Grass_Slayer
04-04-2002, 11:20 PM
those r soooooo awesome!!!

swithcless, do u have a z or a wb? cause i try to turn my z as far as possible into an inside coner that the mower wont drive into (like between 2 trees that are a couple feet apart).

i want to know when i can get one for the metro im hopin to get soon?

1grnlwn
04-05-2002, 12:56 AM
Does it drive off of the left pulley? Do you have to cut the side of your belt enclosure to get the belt to it?

Mark

Flex-Deck
04-05-2002, 08:50 AM
Mark, Yes it is belt driven via a double pulley. and Yes, a section of the belt enclosure is removed, but the Flex-Deck Bracket and belt cover after being welded on and placed into position support the deck and cover all openings.

Thanks, Brad

Flex-Deck
04-06-2002, 03:55 PM
We have a 36" eXmark WB coming this week for a Flex-Deck - stay tuned, and I will post some pics. Thanks, Brad

MuskTurfKing
04-06-2002, 04:00 PM
The flex-deck sounds like it would be great for mowing, the way I'd use it is if I had a 32" for gated yards. Flip it up and get through the gate, put it down and presto, I have a 50" cut.

Hank

gravedigger5
04-07-2002, 12:32 AM
what all wb's and ztr's is this deck available for at this time? looking to buy my 1st ztr soon, I like the looks of this attachment, might effect what ztr I buy. Is there a universal kit, and does this have to be factory/dealer installed? Can the mechanically inclined handle this install? seen the flexdeck site all they show is JD and now Dixie. Really apprieciate all your input FlexDeck, thanks:blob3:

LAWNGODFATHER
04-07-2002, 01:33 AM
It can be mounted on any mower but a mid mount ZTR at this time, you will have to get a Dixie Chopper for that, and it can go on any DC.

If you have a welder then you should be able to mount on your own.

Once FD gets all the jigs made up it should be easy to mount on any WB, Stander or out front.

gravedigger5
04-07-2002, 11:48 AM
thanks LGF, I am looking for a mid mount ztr. Guess I'll have to put DC on my list to look at. The f-d probably would be a little more effective on a wb. Is that why you did? What is the reason why not available for most mid mount ztr:confused: , not enough room? thanks again

LAWNGODFATHER
04-07-2002, 05:27 PM
It's going on my DC also, that's the beauty of the versitility of the FD.

Dixie Chopper/Magic Circle corp owns the exclusive rights to the mid mount ztr market. So it cannot be mounted on any other brand ztr.

A walk behind is next, that's why it was mounted on one.

We're cutting full time here now, so time will tell.

65hoss
04-08-2002, 06:47 PM
Maybe this summer I'll have to come to ole St. Louie to try it out. Looks like a fun piece of equipment. Just wish I could have done mine, but it wouldn't have been fair with me not using a 36" much anymore. Oh well, I still think its a great design and will be awesome on a w/b.

david griggs
04-08-2002, 08:25 PM
also, will it work on the smallest sized DC?

Flex-Deck
04-08-2002, 09:02 PM
At this point in time, Dixie Chopper has a 60" deck model that is flex-deck ready which will give you a total 78" cut I believe. I do not know of their future plans. as to other decks and models. You may want to visit their web site www.dixiechopper.com and talk to them.

Thanks, Brad

Stonewall
04-08-2002, 11:07 PM
With Dixie Chopper owning exclusive rights, does that only mean that Brad can't install it on any other ZTR? Some creative fellow ought to be able to mount it on the ZTR of his choices if he has the know how.

kris
04-09-2002, 12:21 AM
I have to be honest and say Im very skeptical about this. I would also like to see a real time video . I can see the benifit of the added 18"...if it still stripes good.... but as far as the trimming goes Im a non believer .. the time it would take to manoveur the mower like you have shown in the picture ( around that post ) would not be worth it . As far as the other pic along the timber..well I can get my exmark that close on its own ... the pic showing it go under the tree bows is good ...I can see the benifit .
Ill watch for one in my travels.

Flex-Deck
04-09-2002, 09:58 PM
Kris, I am very skeptical of those that are very skeptical also. What do you do about the sign posts along streets, do you just go out around, then hire someone to come and string trim the long V shaped area? If you can not see the benefits from my web site www.flex-deck.com or from the pics, sending you a video would probably be a waste of time. If I could get a Flex-Deck in your hands, you would see it. See me at Louisville in July (about the 22-24th) If you can't do that please reserve judgement.

Thanks, Brad

kris
04-09-2002, 10:57 PM
Brad ... the internet is a hard thing because I cant hear your tone of voice but im getting the feeling that you didnt like my post ... as far as most sign posts go.. I can ride the exmark around in a circle very close .... I gave you a honest opinion on what you and LGF posted. Am I supposed to keep any thoughts to myself? I did say I would watch for one in my travels.

Flex-Deck
04-10-2002, 11:46 PM
Kris - You are right, I was probably venting some frustration at the fact that the concept is sometimes hard to see unless you just get on the seat and drive the setup. It is revolutionary, and different and it does things that no other mowing system can do. At least I have not seen a single mowing system that even comes close. I appreciate your interest and point of view. Thanks, Brad

Flex-Deck
04-13-2002, 12:12 AM
We can now sell direct to eXmark WB owners - fixturing and all in one box. visit our sponsor forum for info.

LAWNGODFATHER
04-17-2002, 08:05 PM
Here are some on a 36" hydro.

LAWNGODFATHER
04-17-2002, 08:07 PM
Another

LAWNGODFATHER
04-17-2002, 08:16 PM
So far with the Flex-Deck on my eXmark TT 52" I have noticed about a 25% decrease in trim time.

We are getting done a little earlier and less fatigued from trimming due to not having so much to trim cause the mower wont fit.

Also some of the lawn we use WB's on are getting cut with the FD and giving us another 18" on each swath, which after we make 3 passes it would be like making 4 passes without it.

rodney
04-17-2002, 08:49 PM
how does the clipping go to the main deck ? is there a hole in the exmark for clipping to go through ? or is it like a mulching mower ?
also the exmark that has the donaldson filter is that stock ?

LAWNGODFATHER
04-18-2002, 12:10 AM
FD is close to a mulching deck, but it discharges the excess clippings infront of the main deck. There is no discharge chute on the FD. There is no hole for it to shoot in the main mower.

The "Nelson" air filter was a conversion I made 4 years ago when Kohler released it for the horizontal engines only.

Exmark hydro WB's with Kohlers all come stock as of this year with the Nelson air cleaner.

lawnkid
04-18-2002, 10:27 PM
How old are those Exmarks you have in those pics? Just wondering. The Turf Tracer looks really nice with the flexdeck. Does it leave like an extra set of lines from the wheels?

FrankenScagMachines
04-18-2002, 10:41 PM
I'm working on making a deck extension similar to this, although Brad won't let me say it's like a Flex-Deck because of copyright infringement? well anyhow, it is similar to this, for my 32" Toro rider. Total cut is gonna be about 50". Will send pics when done. I had this mower setup to cut and stripe terrifically, i'd put it against any commercial mower! But with this "extension mower", i'm really concerned about the striping. Cut I can fix, and I am putting full length rollers on it, but i'm afraid that it will offset the tire tracks so much to really screw things up, even with a roller on it? Cause we all know that the tires influence the grass's stripe better than a roller.

PLEEZE post pics of grass you cut with these "unique stripes" you refer to. I wanna know how it goes. Stripes aren't big in my area yet, but I like it so much I doubt I would even enjoy mowing if not for stripes! Also I want to be one of the first in the area to do it too so when it becomes popular here people will say oh yea, Eric Canady did that years ago....
so can you post some pics of the lawn afterwards, when you have striped it with a F-D? Thanks!
Eric

Double D
04-18-2002, 10:48 PM
What about changing height of cut? I noticed spacers in the pictures, is this going to be a problem on floating deck machines?

heygrassman
04-18-2002, 11:02 PM
LGF are you guys used to working with FD yet? If so, how long did it take you to get the "hang of it".

Brad... sounds like you may need a vacation bud. Read my post earlier, I share skepticism similar to Kris' but am very open to new ideas. This is the foundation of my skepticism.

I am finding that I spend about 20% of my trim trimming so I would expect I am faster than a normal employee and he/she would spend 25% (8 hours x .25 = 2 hours) of his/her time trimming. LGF has stated the he has seen 25% reduction in trim time (2 hours trimming per day * 25% deecrease in time to trim = .5 hours.) This equates to a 6.25% total reduction in wage (.5 hours is time savings /8 hours a day * 100 = 6.25%). This would equate to a cost savings of $1300 per year for a normal $100 per hour employee working a full year (2,080 * 6.25% = 130 *10 per hour =$1,300 per year.)
The big assumptions are
1) that you get 2,080 hours per year of mower operations with your employee (it is prolly closer to 1200). (1200 * 6.25* * $10 = $750)
2) the mower that is FD'ed is the one you use the most because if you carry 2 or 3 and you FD all your cost increases *2
3) gas consumption per 1K sq ft is not increased because of FD.

I do like the idea of potentially getting in one more yard per day

I would be curious about others opinions on my assumptions.

jf

Doc Pete
04-19-2002, 12:25 AM
[i]I would be curious about others opinions on my assumptions.

jf [/B]

All I'd like to see is a real time video of the flexdeck going in and around those little obstacles in the earlier photos, or making those square corners trimming. If this can be done at even 3mph, then I want to see it. Thanks,
Pete

LAWNGODFATHER
04-19-2002, 01:10 AM
The 36" is not mine.

My TT is about 5 years old.

I will take some FD striped pics in the AM.

Flex-Deck
04-19-2002, 09:08 AM
Pete - I just sent an email and if you get me your address, I will send a video, but for now, have you seen the animated trimming moves on my web page www.flex-deck.com - These take a while to download as there are 4 to 5 pictures in sequence showing square corners, unlevel terrain, under trees etc.

Thanks, Brad

Doc Pete
04-19-2002, 12:34 PM
Got the email..... thanks.....
Pete

Flex-Deck
04-23-2002, 12:07 AM
heygrassman - I understand your figures on the trimming - however you missed the part where LGF stated they only take 3 swaths now to do the same that 4 swaths did before, therefore the mowing times is 25% less as well as the trimming time. I am pretty sure these would be conservative figures, as they are in the process of getting used to it. It takes a couple weeks to really feel at home with it as it is different than any system anyone has run. I appreciate your input and perspective because it is hard for me to look at the flex-deck as a new deal because I have been running one so long it seems normal. I do know one thing - and that is that anyone that I have sold one to will not mow without it, it does become rather addictive, in fact it makes mowing fun in my point of view.

Thanks, Brad

Pro-Lawn
04-23-2002, 12:43 AM
I can see many advantages to this deck. But at the same time i can see many obstacles it may create. I would halft to demo one before i would be sold. Looks like a bunch of hype, its just an extra. Add on . Handy in some places and pain in the butt in other situations is what it looks like . But like i said i would halft to demo one for a whole cycle before i gave money for it.

Eric Goodwin

Flex-Deck
04-23-2002, 11:43 PM
Pro-Lawn - That would be great. It is something that most need to get on the seat to appreciate. I will be coming thru Canton next Tues Apr. 30 PM - I will have a demo unit on a trailer - Need your phone # so I can arrange a time for a demo - I should be leaving Mediapolis around 2:30 PM and should be thru Canton 4:30-5:00 PM.

If you have a cell phone great - can keep in contact and meet you at a yard you mow perhaps - hopefully a tough one.

Am heading for St. Louis for a picture session with LGF's WB in action.

email me if you can.

Thanks, Brad

Flex-Deck
05-10-2002, 08:10 PM
I wish I could get a pic of the 36" eXmark that Meglie owns in Sterling IL. I have to call Chuck to see how to do it.