PDA

View Full Version : gas leaking out of dump bowl

Larson Lawn Care
05-10-2009, 09:53 PM
I have a 36" JD walk behind, that is leaking gas out of the dump bowl. I bought a carbuerator kit for it, replaced the float needle and gaskets, I also replaced the dump bowl. After I take the bowl off, and replace the rubber ring around it, it stops leaking for about a day or two, then starts again. What should I do? It also has trouble starting. I think it is flooded every time I start it. I take the air filter off and there is gas filled up in the carbeurator???

MowerMedic77
05-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Not knowing the model and spec of the engine on your Deere(FC420v?) I have to guess that your seat is a non replaceable style and that the needle you put in has a viton(rubber)tip. If the seat is free of debris then it could be worn and the new needle will not stop the flow of fuel. If this is the case then you would need a new carb. And since this is a John Deere I cannot look up your carb numbers for you since John Deere is a Self Servicing OEM meaning you have to go through your John Deere dealer.

Knight511
05-11-2009, 09:42 AM
The needle in the bowl is likely sticking open.... on my Honda I had the same issue for two reasons:

1. Needle was dirty (so I cleaned it up)

2. After cleaning, I managed to put it back together witht he float not lined up (so the needle would never close).

If it were me, I would double check the assembly in the bowl and make sure everything went back together like you think it did.

topsites
05-11-2009, 02:27 PM
You might also want to check the oil in the engine and see if it smells like fuel,
because if it has any fuel-like scent to it you need to change it because it got
contaminated and it will wear your engine down fast.

Ask my smoking Kohler how I know this.

Larson Lawn Care
05-11-2009, 07:44 PM
It's definately smoking, and very hard to start up. I'll probably just buy a new carb. I was trying to avoid paying $120 dollars for a mower I don't use that often. After replacing the needle, it seemed to fit right, but I guess I don't know what it should look like.

thanks!