PDA

View Full Version : BAD lawn---mine $ spot or what?

bond007069
05-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Hello,

i am needing advice on my lawn.

it was hydroseeded in Nov 2007.

looks to be KBG and some rye.

i have been taking care of the lawn for personal use. I use Lesco fert products. we do have a dog. we live in Northeast Ohio

At the start of the spring season, i noticed mostly in the front yard what appears to be snow mold. I have raked out the areas and trashed what ever came up. My mowing have been all bagged, and i am not watering the yard.

i had a mail out scotts lawn test sent off in the beginning of May. Showed my pH was 5.7. I then applied 160 pounds of lime. yard is approx 8,000 sq ft.

the other tests came back in normal range.

i have placed Milorganite per instructions on the lawn at the same time as the lime.

here are some pics.

please tell me what is my next step.

bond007069
05-11-2009, 12:36 PM
more pictures

bond007069
05-11-2009, 12:41 PM
more pictures

front and side

bigslick7878
05-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Have you tried seeding the bare spots?

The lawn looks fine,just some dead spots.

Dont really see too many weeds at all.

That does look to be KGB and a rye mix.

Get some grass seed,some penn mulch and some new soil to throw in those spots and you should be good to go.

If you want to take it a step further,aerate before you do all this.

tombo82685
05-11-2009, 07:47 PM
How many times have you fertilized it so far, and at what rates? To my eyes the lawn looks like it needs some food, if the yard is mainly kbg and perennial rye it should be a lot darker then that. If their is a lot of kbg, in the fall i would aerate the lawn and seed it. In the bare areas i would really tear into it loosening the soil up good, then seed it. Did you apply that 160 lbs of lime in the same day, because you can burn your grass from lime to Secondly, dont bag your clippings if you follow the 1/3 rule. If you only mow your yard once a week then bag it but if you mow 2 or more times return the clippings to the yard. When the clippings decompose it will re supply the yard with the nutrients that it took up like your N,P,K

exe weedman
05-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Looks like last winter's snow mold damage. Top dress and seed or power overseed.

bond007069
05-11-2009, 09:53 PM
i was bagging this season, due to concerns with snow mold and dollar spot fungus.

i am going to feed with lesco turf fert at the recommend rate

what is power overseed?

bigslick7878
05-11-2009, 10:09 PM
what is power overseed?

A fancy way to overseed.

The "right hand power seed" works just as well for your situation.

tombo82685
05-11-2009, 10:15 PM
If you have dollar spot problems check your fertility. Dollar spot is a low fertility disease. If you have problems with them then yes bagging would be the best to do, but I wouldn't do that till you see these problems arise if they do arise.

bond007069
05-11-2009, 10:20 PM
what context is "fertility"

i believe that i do have dollar spot, because of the hour glass necrotic spots on the grass blades.

thanks for all the help!!

tombo82685
05-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Do you have the lesions now, or are you saying that you get them? fertility, meaning how much fertilizer you give it. See what species of grass is mosr prominent in your stand. Each type of grass species needs a range of lbs of fertilizer per year. Example tall fescue requires 2-3 lbs while kbg is more like 3-5 lbs. You want to monitor how much fert your putting down the best way is in the middle of the range. If you fertilize to much you run into diseases like pythium, leaf spot, brown patch. If you fertilize to little you run into rusts, red thread, and dollar spot.

bigslick7878
05-11-2009, 10:29 PM
That is NOT dollar spot.

Sometimes you need to keep it simple,instead of trying to over analyze the "situation" and make more out of something that isnt there.

tombo82685
05-11-2009, 10:46 PM
one easy way to find out if you do is go out on a morning with heavy dew. If dollar spot is present the my cellium should be easily observable.

tombo82685
05-11-2009, 10:47 PM
That is NOT dollar spot.

Sometimes you need to keep it simple,instead of trying to over analyze the "situation" and make more out of something that isnt there.

have you had it in MD yet? At the golf course I have not seen it yet. Each location is different, but usually in the transition zones like va and md they would get dollar spot first before places like Ohio.

Smallaxe
05-12-2009, 10:26 AM
what context is "fertility"

i believe that i do have dollar spot, because of the hour glass necrotic spots on the grass blades.

thanks for all the help!!

It looks like spots of puddling that are so common for lawns that are overwatered... the fungus is only the symptum of a sick soil. Probably why the color is so pale as well.