PDA

View Full Version : Gas in a two-stroke

loddie
05-11-2009, 01:30 PM
I just purchased two Toro 22026 side discharge ProLine mowers. They were brand new other than the previous owner ran gas in the 2-cycle engines (TV5002). The engines are not seized.

Is it possible to rebuild these engines?
If so, what replacement parts would be needed?

If not, I will just replace the engines. Thanks!

topsites
05-11-2009, 03:23 PM
I thought you were supposed to run gas in them, then again maybe I'm just stupid.

loddie
05-11-2009, 03:26 PM
That's funny. At the auction I bought them, they specifically announced the engines were bad because oil had not been mixed with gas. Perhaps there is nothing wrong with them. I will find out later today.

vgshopboss
05-11-2009, 03:34 PM
They are both Suzuki 2 strokes, great engine, but do a quick compression check and see if they have any left. If the engines are junk you are most likely SOL, the engines were only available through Toro, and I don't believe you would be able to find one. If you did, they would be more than any normal human would want to spend. The last carb kit I saw for one of these (which was a needle and a bowl gasket) was about $90. Good luck.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-11-2009, 03:37 PM
One spring I forgot to add the oil to my gas. :hammerhead: I decided to do my own lawn first. I ran the the 5.5hp Suzuki 2 Stroke on my Toro for a full hour before it seized in the backyard. I panicked and thought I'd killed my mower.

Amazingly, realizing what I'd done, I went and mixed the fuel, waited for the mower to cool down entirely, filled it up and it went just fine. Continued to use that mower for a couple of years.

topsites
05-11-2009, 03:51 PM
That's funny. At the auction I bought them, they specifically announced the engines were bad because oil had not been mixed with gas. Perhaps there is nothing wrong with them. I will find out later today.

Yeah but do check and make sure on whether it's supposed to be mixed with oil or not.
As a rule, engines that don't require mix carry the oil separate.

That is, ALL engines use oil.
Either in the mix, or separately (such as in a sump, like a car).
2-cycle or 4-cycle makes little difference, it depends on who designed the engine,
there exist 4-cyclers that use mix, and there exist 2-cyclers with sumps.
Although granted, as a rule 2-cyclers use mix and 4-cyclers carry separate oil, but not always.

I just wasn't aware that lawn mowers ran mixed, I thought they all ran separate oil and gas,
that only handhelds ran mix due to the small engine size.
Guess one learns something new every day.

But yeah, after checking out whether it needs mix or not, do all the maintenance like change the oil, the plug, the air filter,
clean it up and check everything out and then... See if it runs, and it might not, but you never can tell.

loddie
05-11-2009, 03:58 PM
I spun the mower blade opposite its cutting direction. Resistance was the same as the normal direction. It's probably safe to assume the motors are dead.

VT_Grassman
05-12-2009, 05:36 PM
I spun the mower blade opposite its cutting direction. Resistance was the same as the normal direction. It's probably safe to assume the motors are dead.

Sounds like almost no compression. You might get lucky and just find that the motors got hot and the rings stuck. All you would have to do is disassemble and carefully try to free them. this would also give you the opportunity to look at the cylinder walls + inspect for damage.
BEFORE YOU DO THAT: Try a little trick at this point: take the spark plug out and spray some light oil into the cylinder (not allot - maybe a tablespoon or so) and slowly pull the starter cord until the piston has gone up and down a few times. Let it sit a few hours and repeat. Put the spark plug back in or hold your finger over the hole and recheck compression. If you still have none you will likely have to disassemble and see how bad it is. Those parts are $$ but you may be able to find a used engine if you beat the bushes a bit . . .

Good luck

loddie
05-12-2009, 05:47 PM
VT

Thanks for the tips. I am traveling for a few days, but will give it a try when I return. :)