PDA

View Full Version : Owners or users of great dane surf. 36

LP
03-31-2002, 12:46 PM
I completed a search and posted a thread yesterday, but still have been unable to get enough advice to feel comfortable about purchasing one, any-one who can offer advice would be greatly appreciated( It seems to meet all of my present needs but I know very little about great dane).

Thanks in advance for any help!!

chariot
03-31-2002, 12:57 PM
I have a Great Dane Chariot, bought new in 1998. I can not say anything bad about it, except that they are now owned by John Deere. This is bad according to friends of mine that have not had good luck with Deeres, they say they could be better made and that parts seemed expensive. I have no first hand experience with Deere. Although I have heard that they plan to keep making Danes as totally different machines from Deere a guy that works in a shop around here said that they were going to experiment with the Deere decks on Danes. I don't know. I can only say that I like my Chariot, I know people who have surfers and others who have scampers and they are all pleased. I would say that if it fits the job you need it for then you should have no concerns with the quality.

johnhenry
03-31-2002, 01:30 PM
Great Dane is a fabulous machine. Only problem is john deere owns them now. And that doesnt bode well for the future. But so far they havent even made changes to the dane. And sometimes no change is a good thing. But if you purchase one you will be happy

danlawnser
03-31-2002, 03:37 PM
I will only buy great danes from now on. It is like with any brand u go with. I got a scamper 48 and a super 52. I try to run the super most of the time. Wonderful machine and is somewhat better on hills than the scamper.

jkkalbers
04-01-2002, 09:52 AM
50% of my new leads comes from residential lawn cutomers that had services that use surfers, the people that use them around here go as fast as they can and tear the crap out of the lawns. Especially if the ground is wet at all. All we use is 52" Toro walk behinds. I realize that to make money nowadays you have to move fast. But this is kind of our niche in the market. People are willing to pay more(around here anyway) for people that will take there time. Or at leat look like they are taking there time.
I'm not saying I would never buy one. If people stop caring about the quality of the service and move towards price, I'll eventually have to get some faster equipment.
just my 2 cents

watatrp
04-01-2002, 12:35 PM
I will be starting my third season with my G.D. 52" super surfer. It's a great machine. It is by far more manuverable than any rider. You don't have to worry about anything behind you. It has a good cut and the low center of gravity makes is great on slopes.

Brandon
04-07-2002, 09:49 PM
I bought a 36" surfer and I am returning it to the store. If you are cutting on flat land, the surfer is great. But, if you are using it on hilly accounts it is just about impossible. I told my dealer about this and they think it is because of the weight. They told me that the 48" does not have this problem. Someone else having the same problem returned it for the 48" and they love it, they say that it is great on hills. I have not had a chance to demo the 48" yet, so I cannot help you out with that. I hope this helps you out.

LP
04-08-2002, 12:28 AM
Thanks brandon for your imput, we needed one specificly for several court yard areas on commercial accounts where we could not get our big mowers and also some narrow median areas around other commercial accounts. So we did purchase one and i'm extremely impressed with this tiny monster cutting up to speeds of 10 mph., and I live on a little better than 5 acres of hilly land and suprisingly I was very pleased with its performance on slopes and rough cuts. You must remember we handle mainly bigger accounts and primarily run 62's and 72's and have never owned anything smaller than a 48 walker, But as with any mower you purchase it takes a few cuts to really maximize the complete potential the unit has to offer. Once again Thanks to everyone for any and all advice you offerded it is much appreciated!!

Lee

vangreg
04-09-2002, 04:07 PM
I have owned a Great Dane surfer for three years now along with a Chariot and a Scamper. The surfer is my most valuable mower by far. I live in Nashville TN and the only flat account i have is a driving range- the surfer handles hills like a champ after you learn to operate it. As far as tearing up grass - that would be the operator pivoting on one tire. The surfer allows you to clearly see both tires when turning and the center of gravity and balance allows for quicker turns without damaging the grass. As long as Dane Scag has a hand in it I will only buy Great Dane