PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Kawasaki Flywheel *pics*

Mack77
05-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Hi Everyone...

How would I go about removing a flywheel from a vertical shaft Kawasaki engine? Special tools required?

Thanks!

Pictures attached...

KCfireman
05-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Your gonna need a spindle puller.

I MOW ALONE
05-12-2009, 12:08 AM
flywheel puller

KCfireman
05-12-2009, 12:10 AM
flywheel pullerThanks. I thought it was a spindle puller for some reason, maybe it's because i used it one time to pull one off.:dancing:

AmsoilPower
05-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Just go old school. Put bolt back in and thread down 75% of the way. Smack with hammer and wedge prybar between block & flywheel (very carefully) and pry up while hitting bolt w/hammer. Works every time, but use caution!!!!!

Mack77
05-12-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm going to try to get the correct tool, but if i can't find one quickly, I may want to try the old school method...I can't picture how you'd go about doing it though. Do you know of any websites where there may be pictures or more explanation?

Grass Happens
05-12-2009, 09:46 PM
If using the tap method, be CAREFUL! and TAP, do not, I repeat, DO NOT hit it like your putting a nail in the wall. If you haven't seen it done, I would recommended not doing it. Cranks are expensive to replace. You can damage the threads in the crank!

Restrorob
05-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Mack,

The "Old school" method is pretty simple if done properly.

First you should use a pry bar with a bend on the end, Take your original flywheel bolt to your local hardware or auto parts store and get the same size but shorter in length. Also get two lock washers to fit the bolt, Screw the shorter bolt with both lock washers into the end of the crank (lock washers should clear the flywheel) just snugging it down.

Now, Position your pry bar in the area shown below making sure the bent part of the bar hits flatly on the bottom edge of the flywheel. You want to make sure it touches flat so no damage accures to the bottom edge of the flywheel teeth, Once in position push down rather hard on the pry bar handle and smack the head of the short bolt you installed. It could take a couple smacks but it should pop loose.

Installing the shorter bolt prevents bending/flattening the head or damaging the threads on your original long flywheel mounting bolt or crankshaft.

By pushing down on the pry bar (raising the flywheel) you are moving all the crankshaft end play clearance to the pan/sump, So you have that distance the crank can move downward to pop the flywheel loose.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/KawiFlywheelRemoval.jpg

Good Luck

mowerknower
05-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Old school method works very well if you have a flywheel bolt. It gets a little trickier with a nut. I very very rarely waste the time to find the flywheel puller. Also, if you are using a puller like in the picture above, be carefull. I get a couple customers a year that have used a puller to remove the flywheel and have broken the it(usually on tecumseh vector engines). You really do need a good smack to pop the flywheel loose.

Mack77
05-13-2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone...I used the correct flywheel puller tool to remove the wheel and expose the stator.

I'll keep the old school method in mind if i'm ever without a flywheel puller though!

I think my stator may be bad/not working properly, WHY i removed the flywheel can be seen at this thread, along with more pictures for your viewing pleasure of the kawi 23HP.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=2985458#post2985458

jondcoleman
04-15-2010, 04:34 PM
May I ask where you got the flywheel puller?