PDA

View Full Version : Gas or Diesel?

lantz
03-31-2002, 05:39 PM
Is it worth the extra money for a diesel rider, heard contrasting opinions. What's your opinion on mowers?

longviewlawncare
03-31-2002, 05:41 PM
if you can afford the diesel engione i would go with it. The engine will last alot longer than a gas engine will. just my .02 though

mowerconsultant
03-31-2002, 05:49 PM
I used to drive a 99 chevy 2500 with a 5.7 gas engine, it ran fine gave me no problems.
I now have a 2000 ford f-250 with a powerstroke diesel, I will never go back to a gasser in a work vehicle.
The power is awesome, and I get great mileage towing or otherwise.
The extra $$$ you spend are well worth it.

rodfather
03-31-2002, 06:08 PM
If you can afford it and it's available, go with the diesel. Not only will they last much longer, fuel normally is cheaper for them too.

BTW, all our trucks are diesel and our 3 72" Toro Groundsmasters mowers are diesel as well. We love 'em...

Duncan IN
03-31-2002, 06:37 PM
I had a 1970 Chevy C30 with a 350, it was a really nice truck because it was restored but I only got 6- 10 mpg switched to a 2000 Dodge Diesel and I now get 15:18 mpg I too like many others will not go back to gas. I also ordered a 2002 Dixie Chopper 50 hp diesel. Should be in in a few weeks. I am looking forward to see how this mower does on fuel. I don't need every bit of that power, but as others say if you have the extra money to spend get it.

PR0 TURF
03-31-2002, 07:05 PM
Diesel all the way! We bought a new diesel Walker a few weeks ago and so far so good...no complaints yet, much more powerful then our gas Walker. We still have gas trucks but are in the process of changing that over too...that'll take a while though. Im saving my pennies to get a new Duramax diesel pickup...can't wait for that!!!

Now if only they had diesel weedwackers ;)

LP
03-31-2002, 08:14 PM
It really depends on how you operate your business, for example some of us replace our machines when the waranty goes out ,which on the average is about 2yrs. If you plan on running the machine for a longer period than this and you do have the extra money, i would say diesel but I also hear that on some models the break in period is almost 500 hours so until that time you really dont get the full effects of power the machine actually offers!
Just my thoughts

Pelican
03-31-2002, 08:20 PM
My trucks are diesel and construction machinery as well. I'm shopping for the Kubota 28 hp Z rider to replace my Kohler powered Skag. I have an off road diesel tank, fuel is cheaper and it will save me those stops at the gas station. I feel these benefits outweigh the price.

WREBELMACHINE
03-31-2002, 08:32 PM
used gas for years. bought a bladerunner diesel last year and I will never buy a gas mower again!

Pelican
03-31-2002, 09:46 PM
Anyone know of a diesel walkbehind?

Bladewielder
03-31-2002, 10:51 PM
The diesels are not supposed to bog down as badly as gas engines due to their amount of torque. A fellow commercial mower in my area who uses Grasshoppers just last year bought a 928D (28hp diesel). He told me that it will go for a couple of days between fill-ups. He also said that if he could go back he would've gone diesel in the first place. I've been told that the diesels can last up to 10,000 hours if properly maintained. Before you buy consider the extra cost, fuel savings, and the amount of time you plan to keep the mower.

WREBELMACHINE
04-01-2002, 06:13 PM
bladeweidler

Who uses a grasshopper in this area? I have never seen one in use at least in the springfield area. I do not now about the branson area.

skyphoto
04-26-2002, 06:03 PM
I run a Hopper 721d w/the kubota diesel and love it! Also have a Cummins in the truck and wouldn't go back to a gasser on either of them! Oh ya and the city of Branson uses hoppers to mow the greenbelts in town:)

johnhenry
04-26-2002, 06:28 PM
as far as trucks are concern I would go with diesel. As far as mowers are concern is if you take care of the mower you will want a new one before it wears out anyways. Diesel will last longer but when you take in the cost of it and so many other things factor in to it. You can have the best diesel engine in the world but if your mower has a lousy deck or frame what do you have. Take in all factors when buying a mower

Flex-Deck
04-26-2002, 11:41 PM
Go diesel even if it stretches you. They burn less than half the fuel, and last about 6 times longer with half the maintainance.

I have a 332 JD 16 HP diesel that has been mowing since 1988 and has about 5000 hrs on it and it purrs like a kitten today. All I have done is change oil, keep the air filters clean and had to put new injectors in at 3000 hrs.

thanks, brad

rwleigh
04-29-2002, 07:23 PM
BLADEWIEDLER

I have never seen anyone useing a grasshopper.

luckylawnboy
04-29-2002, 07:48 PM
I run Dodge Cummins for fuel economy and the power to pull the trailers, but for mowers I like gas because the increased cost does not do a better or faster job, in does not look any better, and the engines usually out last the unit its self. I usually only run a machine for a couple of years then replace it. Now tractors and and bigger equipment Diesel all the way, lawn mowers gas. I have a XWD 2600 Diesel and it does not cut as fast as our XF 2500, and XF 2400 when it boggs down it takes it alot longer to recover than the gas Machines. But it does have 1200 hours and runs like it did new though. By the way it is for sale also, to be replaced by a XF2600 EFI which is a lighter, quicker, mower powerful machine.