PDA

View Full Version : GMC Sierra Truck Maintenance opinions

letsplay
05-12-2009, 12:56 AM
I have just reached 60k on my 2006 2500 duramax sierra. Anyone have recommendations on what maintenance items should be considered that the dealers want to get all my money for?

I keep hearing change the transmission fluid and filter on the allison tranny but thought that was not necessary for many more miles.

Then I am hearing 75000 miles for differential fluid change.

I change my oil regularly and my fuel filter.

I pull trailers most of the week for work but most of our traveling is on the highway getting to sites.

Just thought I would ask guys in the field what they have done in the past.

Thanks

Petr51488
05-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Not sure off hand, but the manual has a chart of everything you need to know.

J&R Landscaping
05-15-2009, 10:44 AM
You may want to check the manual for a list. I know on the Allison tranny's in the larger International 4300's and F-650's and such the first drain period is 30,000 miles or so.
Also, if you miss that drain period, your warranty is screwed up and apparently, the local truck dealers around here say they can tell the difference. I'm not sure if this protocal is the same in pick-ups though...

unkownfl
05-15-2009, 12:20 PM
You may want to check the manual for a list. I know on the Allison tranny's in the larger International 4300's and F-650's and such the first drain period is 30,000 miles or so.
Also, if you miss that drain period, your warranty is screwed up and apparently, the local truck dealers around here say they can tell the difference. I'm not sure if this protocal is the same in pick-ups though...

They can test the fluid and see. But if your tranny goes and they test it they can't tell because it will be burnt so they are full of ****. You can do all the maintenance your self and still have the warranty. I would change the external filter and replace the fluid you lose. The diff and transfer case I would leave alone I wouldnt change that untill like 150000 miles you will be fine. Just change the air filter fuel filter or filters and the oil and filter. Oh and dont forget about the cabin filter for your a/c they get nasty fast if you are mowing lawns.

South Florida Lawns
05-16-2009, 08:09 PM
I would change the trans fluid and do the diffs as well. Even if the book says 100k intravels I would go less due to commercial use and weekly towing.

I have the 4L60 trans and the dealer charged about $100 for new fluid.

You can do the diff yourself because its a little easier to get to. I would recomend some mobile 1 synthetic for towing.

PlatinumLandCon
05-17-2009, 01:39 AM
Dude, keep on top of the fuel filter! Every 10,000 I'd say, its just a good habit. They're super fine and I got a slight bit of $h!t fuel and it threw the truck into limp mode and check engine light came on. This was with about 12,000 on the fuel filter already.