PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Toros, Good or Bad?

lantz
03-31-2002, 08:13 PM
What's the general opinion on Toro's, primarily on 220D? How long do they last? Any opinions?

LP
03-31-2002, 08:46 PM
Im not sure about the model you are refering to but I run a pro-line 62 and a z-master 72 and have been using them for a couple of years and both are awsome machines with very low maint. and a high yield of production, I highly recommend them to any and all!

foxslawncare
03-31-2002, 08:51 PM
:blob4: I use to have the z-144 44inch deck. would not recommend that one. the deck is made different than larger decks. larger ones cut well. low maintence though. Have turk tiger now. Also have 36" toro pistol grip wb. Its does a nice job.

landscaper3
03-31-2002, 08:56 PM
I agree with Lee Pice we run almost the same machines!

dlandscaping
03-31-2002, 09:57 PM
our area is mostly toro. They outnumber scag and exmark by a ratio of 10 to 1 combined. I ve got a toro 36 but the exmark guy is good so i havent decided which brand to get for our new mower. My toro guys move so many machines, a loaner would be impossible. They give a good cut and they do last for a while.

lamblawnscaping
04-01-2002, 12:01 AM
I have a proline 21" and a proline 36" belt drive. The 21 is great, but a little heavy. The 36 has been a good machine, but is a little awkward to maneuver with the T-bar. The T-bar might be good with hydro drive, but in order to pull the belt-drive backward, you have to take your hands off the T-bar and grab the frame. This kills the engine. If you have a slight hill you can use gravity to make the machine roll backward, but on flat ground it is pretty annoying. This could be fixed by undoing the operator presence safety, but with employees, I would rather not do that, as it might make me liable in the event of an accident. Now that they come with pistol grip, I might buy another one, but not a T-bar. As for the bigger machines, I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Ray&Christine
04-01-2002, 02:29 PM
I have mixed opinion of Toro equipment I have a 32 inch belt drive W.B. that has been great, 3 Toro snowblowers, single and two stage that are also very durable. But I have a 21 inch Proline mower that I hate, it had numerous small problems that I find aggravating. Maybe I just got a lemon, everyone else I hear from seems to like these mowers. But overall I think Toro makes good equipment.

Ray

bobbygedd
04-01-2002, 03:34 PM
id rather cut with scissors

joed
04-01-2002, 05:59 PM
I have a 21" Proline equipped with the 6.5 HP Briggs. I love this unit. It is very quick, has a huge bag for bagging and mulches better than any mower I have ever used. The Briggs engine has been surpisingly quite good. It has loads of power and is fuel efficient. The only complaints I have about the mower is the lack of a useful side-discharge feature and the bag is a bit awkward to dump into a garbage bag. Otherwise it is great. Toro makes good stuff.

Brickman
04-01-2002, 06:17 PM
I just sold a 36 Toro with T bar. I had no problems with it, the reason I sold it was that I didn't need it any more. The steering problem mentioned earlier with the belt drive model was not present in my mower. I would buy again if I had a need for a walk behind. I prefer to mow as much as possible with my Walker. Maybe that makes me lazy. :)

For a 21 inch walk behind you can't beat a JD jx85 or jx75 with the 6.5 hp Kawasaki. But that is my opinion.

stslawncare
04-01-2002, 06:21 PM
well in general my opinion is. if they werent a good company, and didnt have good products, they wouldnt be one of the top companies for this type of product.

rodfather
04-01-2002, 06:40 PM
We run 3, 325D Toro Groundsmasters (72") and love them...then again, I'm the owner and somewhat biased cause I bought 'em.

Just my 2 cents.

boadway
04-01-2002, 07:15 PM
I have used a Toro 21" Proline w/ 6.5 hp GTS200 engine for the last four years. We have 2 of them and have had nothing but problems with the engines. The rest of the machine is solid. Also have two 52" Hydro drive walkbehinds w/ Kohler 20hp engines. Engines are great but the decks are not strong enough to take the punishment we give them.

thartz
04-01-2002, 07:30 PM
I have a 52" t-bar hydro which I think is a very good machine and the quality of cut is excellent . The only thing that I wish were better is the way it stripes since it has a float deck that is off set your stripes either look strange or you lose about 6' of deck cut off one side to make uniform stripes.It is cool to have a off set deck to get into fenced areas.

wojo23323
04-01-2002, 07:31 PM
I have a 21 inch proline and I also have a 32" and a 52" belt drive walkbehind. They both have the T bar and I have had no problems with them. When pulling it backwards, I put minimal pressure on the T bar to keep the blades engaged and pull it back with the other hand. I think all 3 are great machines.

LP
04-01-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
id rather cut with scissors

I hear you can get a really good deal on a pair down at the dollar store, I hope it works out for you!

proline32
04-02-2002, 01:09 AM
I have several toro products and never had problems with them, I will buy again when needed.

sdwally
04-02-2002, 10:25 AM
We just got rid of a Toro 223D, which is basically the same unit with 3 more hp. It is a good unit as long as it is not put into severe service. The problem we had with ours is the the hydrostat housing is made of aluminum and not cast iron like the large units. We had to rebuild the hydro twice in about 3500hrs of use. The problem was the aluminum housing form grooves where the piston pins push on the swash plate in the motor side. The last time it was rebuilt, it ran about $2000 for parts. Severe service includes steep hills and lots of back and forth motion, unit was in service at a cemetery.
The PTO shaft design is much better than the 300 series they build. Electric PTO clutch works well. The PTO belt tension is easy to maintain and the clutch will last a long time as long as it is adjusted on a regular basis.
If you have any specific questions about the units just send me a private message.